Page 328 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2282783183243253263273283293303313323383784288281328 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    1. You said the only thing that seemed like BoP was that Huntress has a crossbow (which I get may have been an exaggeration), but still, I gave you several more things and it's still just "the barest of bare character details". The deeper character elements would mostly deal with personality which, yeah, we don't know yet...cuz we haven't seen the movie or even a real trailer.
    Even those character details just don't seem in-sync with the comic interpretations, at least from what I've seen so far. They feel like the bare minimum.
    2. Huntress being very tunnel visioned in going after the people who killed her family and doing whatever it takes is VERY comic accurate; it's the reason Batman had a problem with her and her methods. And it's very possible that it's a plan...for her to infiltrate and get close to the people who killed her parents. Helena has infiltrated the mafia before posing as one of their own.
    I don't see that tunnel vision making her a mob hitwoman.

There's a difference between posing as one of them and actually working for a mob boss and carrying out hits for them. That's just not something I could see Huntress doing that because she's actively helping someone as despicable as Black Mask. Her code and sense of ethics wouldn't let her.
    3. Not sure how the costuming adds to it seeming like GCS...cuz Catwoman and Poison Ivy don't wear costumes?
    I never specified it was the costumes that made it feel that way. If Selina and Ivy were in this, I would be pretty disappointed if they weren't wearing actual costumes like Helena and Dinah seem to be.

Although Ivy rocks outfits in her comic colors in a way I don't feel these ladies are pulling off.
    4. In the context of the movie they've made it clear that Harley is NOT part of BoP. They are not a trio. She crosses paths with BoP and they end up having a common goal...as happens in comics all the time
    Not really. Most of the time in the comics the Birds knock Harley out and take her to jail...but the promotion and marketing seems to be trying to make this into a trio and Harley as part of the group.
    Again, I get that this is all pointless; this doesn't seem like BoP to you and isn't going to. Just expressing the other point of view.
    That's fair. I'm not trying to be a party pooper for those who think this looks great, it just doesn't look like the BoP to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    What is a Birds of Prey movie supposed to look like?
    I guess like Charlies Angels ?

Retired

The teaser gives me no sense of anything about BOP, it just seems like a montage of random clips. The 32 second JOKER teaser--with the Guess Who's "Laughing"--gave me a stronger sense of that movie and that was just a single shot.

But maybe WB are depending more on everything else surrounding BOP to get people hyped. They've got IT CHAPTER 2, then JOKER and there will probably be a teaser trailer for WONDER WOMAN 1984 before too long. And BOP will come out in the same weekend as the Oscars--when Warner is probably hoping to have a lot of noms for JOKER. All that confluence of WB and DC hype could make the BOP balloon float, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    The thing that worries me about the trailer is that there's barely anything in it. I know it's designed to be a punch-you-in-the-face teaser and nothing more, but no character aside from Harley is actually highlighted in a clear way. I'll wait until later to make broader judgments but it wasn't encouraging.
    I think it's a teaser, not a trailer. I don't think a single trailer was released for this movie yet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They just happen to have common goal where harley will be given center stage, like in the promo.
    I hope atleast in the second movie(lf it happens) harley is not there. Send her off to gcs or something. Her being in this was unwarranted. They could have Batman do a cameo as a draw. Be done with it.
    Of course Harley is center stage in the teaser; she's the popular, known commodity from another movie that A LOT of people saw. She's the draw for general audiences. They would be stupid not to emphasize her. You're just assuming she's the main focus of the movie. Yes, she probably stands out in the movie, just because of the character being wacky while the others aren't but based on test screenings the two favorite characters are Black Mask and Black Canary.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Of course Harley is center stage in the teaser; she's the popular, known commodity from another movie that A LOT of people saw. She's the draw for general audiences. They would be stupid not to emphasize her. You're just assuming she's the main focus of the movie. Yes, she probably stands out in the movie, just because of the character being wacky while the others aren't but based on test screenings the two favorite characters are Black Mask and Black Canary.
    As i said if they wanted "commodity" for draw.they could have had the batman cameo in be done with it. It would have been less irritating. If this movie is gonna be "harley and crew" like the marketing seem to suggest it would suck. And if they can't trust the characters that are supposed to be main protagonists of the movie for marketing. Then they shouldn't be using characters (or deserve them. That is my opinion).Marvel didn't market "antman" with ironman, groot or loki just because he was popular or a "commodity". This popular/commodity argument doesn't hold weight. This is the time to make ip's into house hold names and give them more exposure.

Harley Quinn has been a Birds of Prey staple since the 2000s
    Even that awful TV show had her as a main character(even if she was the villain)

The only complaint I'll somewhat acknowledge is the lack of Barbara Gordon but considering the mess that is the Batman side of things in the DCEU its to be expected. I mean going forward you have a Gotham city but no (Commissioner Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, or Batman)
    And considering Harley Quinn is going to be in The Suicide Squad that's two movies that are feeling their absence in Gotham

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Even that awful TV show had her as a main character(even if she was the villain)

The only complaint I'll somewhat acknowledge is the lack of Barbara Gordon but considering the mess that is the Batman side of things in the DCEU its to be expected. I mean going forward you have a Gotham city but no (Commissioner Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, or Batman)
    And considering Harley Quinn is going to be in The Suicide Squad that's two movies that are feeling their absence in Gotham
    Not to mention the friendship that Dinah and Harley developed in Injustice. Yeah, Harley has peripherally been around BoP a few times.

Maybe they're saving Barbra for her own movie or another Batman movie that's connected to the DCEU? I don't think Robert Pattinson's going to do more than the single film (I hope he does).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    As i said if they wanted "commodity" for draw.they could have had the batman cameo in be done with it. It would have been less irritating. If this movie is gonna be "harley and crew" like the marketing seem to suggest it would suck. And if they can't trust the characters that are supposed to be main protagonists of the movie for marketing. Then they shouldn't be using characters (or deserve them. That is my opinion).Marvel didn't market "antman" with ironman, groot or loki just because he was popular or a "commodity". This popular/commodity argument doesn't hold weight. This is the time to make ip's into house hold names and give them more exposure.
    Ironman, Groot and Loki weren't costarring in the Ant-Man movie. But Spiderman, one of the most popular pop culture characters in the world, who had already been established in Civil War...yeah, they still used Tony Stark in the promotion for that movie.

You're right, why use the popular established character from a Blockbuster movie who people dress up as constantly, played by an Oscar nominated actress who is one of the most popular working actors right now to advertise the girl team up movie when they could just use a man in a batsuit? Yep, that would be much less irritating.

And which Batman would they use? Or should they just do what they did with Superman in Shazam? Yeah, that would be fine, you don't even need an actual actor, just show a guy in a batsuit from the neck down. Yeah, a nameless, faceless guy shown from the neck down in a batsuit would be better for advertising than Margot Robbie...cuz, how could it not be!?

It's a 37 second teaser. I dare say that the other characters will be featured more in an actual trailer or even, dare I say it, the movie. But be forewarned, Harley WILL still be there too.

Also, the Ant-Man movies absolutely used the more popular Marvel characters in the marketing, even if the weren't actually in the film.

That's making her sound like a much bigger deal with the group then she is in my opinion.
    Not to mention the friendship that Dinah and Harley developed in Injustice. Yeah, Harley has peripherally been around BoP a few times.
    I don't know if that really has any bearing on their relationship in general. Injustice is all about the DCU going topsy-turvy and creating unexpected relationships/dynamics we wouldn't normally see.

Ultimate Member

A friendly reminder generally the folks who make the movie are NOT the same folks who do the marketing. In fact most of the time they are not even CONSULTED.

So you end up getting movie trailers stating ONE thing and the film stating something else. Whose Your Caddy-a film showcased as a whites versus blacks movie but was NOTHING of the sort. Even the writer complained those trailer ruined the movie.

And they also use footage not in the final cut see The Faculty. 90% of Usher and one of Quincy Jones's daughters footage was axed and still has yet to be seen. Good 15 minutes worth of footage.

This popular/commodity argument doesn't hold weight. This is the time to make ip's into house hold names and give them more exposure.
    Harley is going to be showcased because she's HARLEY-a PROVEN commodity.

You want them to be household IPS-that is up to MANAGEMENT to follow and take advantage of that feedback.

Take Cap America Winter Soldier. I would have thought Falcon was Cap America because he was the MAIN person I heard folks (ESPECIALLY NONCOMICS BOOK FOLKS) talked about.
    Same with Shuri & Okeye & Killmonger in Black Panther.
    Same with RJ from the Power Rangers movie.
    Same with Cyborg in Justice League.
    Same with Mera in Aquaman.

Dc's issues have been when stuff like the above happen-they RARELY take advantage of it with certain characters.

Post movie-
    Shuri got a solo, tv special, Halloween costume, valentines, 2 action figures (one VERY expensive one) & a YA novel by a New York Times best seller. That will have NO trouble selling.
    What has Cyborg gotten? NOTHING. THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH DC. It's not just him.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Post movie-
    Shuri got a solo, tv special, Halloween costume, valentines, 2 action figures (one VERY expensive one) & a YA novel by a New York Times best seller. That will have NO trouble selling.
    What has Cyborg gotten? NOTHING. THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH DC. It's not just him.
    Cyborg has a very steady media presence. I'm pretty sure he also has plenty of merchandise, whether it be TTG! stuff or other DC figures.

I just googled "Cyborg Halloween Costumes" and have found plenty of images.

I'm not saying DC hasn't mishandled Cyborg but he's not been completely left in the dust.

Anyone who thinks the BoP movie isn't just a Harley promotion vehicle is fooling themselves. She is the reason the movie exists, her actor chose the script over a Gotham City Sirens one, no other actors come close to approaching her level of stardom, and all promotion and things we've seen has been built around Harley. Even the fucking title of the movie has Harley's name in it. This is basic common sense stuff. I don't get why people act like this isn't going to be the case.

It is the equivalent of a Mission Impossible movie which is a Tom Cruise vehicle instead of a proper team up movie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Anyone who thinks the BoP movie isn't just a Harley promotion vehicle is fooling themselves. She is the reason the movie exists, her actor chose the script over a Gotham City Sirens one, no other actors come close to approaching her level of stardom, and all promotion and things we've seen has been built around Harley. Even the fucking title of the movie has Harley's name in it. This is basic common sense stuff. I don't get why people act like this isn't going to be the case.

It is the equivalent of a Mission Impossible movie which is a Tom Cruise vehicle instead of a proper team up movie.
    The actor also choose the script over a solo Harley movie. If she just wanted to make a Harley Quinn movie the option was there.