Page 270 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1702202602662672682692702712722732742803203707701270 ... LastLast
Results 4,036 to 4,050 of 20948
    Retired

As Grace points out, JJ is good at starting a thing, but he doesn't stick around to see it through. It's the people who are left to finish his vision that worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As Grace points out, JJ is good at starting a thing, but he doesn't stick around to see it through. It's the people who are left to finish his vision that worry me.
    If he lays the groundwork for reviving a franchise and the studio hands it to someone who creates a divisive product, that’s on them. It doesn’t mean it will happen every time. If he’s getting a gigantic payday that comes with creative control, he should have a lot of say when it comes to who takes over if/when he departs.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Not a fan of JJ Abrams taking a shot at Superman after seeing his ideas for the character from his Flyby script.

I think there might be other DC characters he could take a shot at and probably be successful.

Retired

Grace Randolph also made the point that Kevin Feige loves the Marvel characters and the comic books, while a lot of Hollywood producers and directors don't love super-heroes or comics--they look down on them and on the fans that love them.

I think that Patty Jenkins could do a good Superman movie, because she respects the character and would do something that appreciates the source material. But she seems to only be attached to the Wonder Woman franchise.

They'd be dumb not to be at least considering Abrams on Superman or something. Regardless of my personal opinion of his work (I find his stuff fun but too derivative at times), he's proven he can make a crowd pleaser more than once. And that's what Superman needs right now. Someone who can make a big, flashy, bombastic adventure that wins over audiences and not another attempt to reinvent the wheel and do a "realistic" examination of the character.

I also think it's fairly probable that Abrams' approach to Superman now would be different compared to the original flyby.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also think it's fairly probable that Abrams' approach to Superman now would be different compared to the original flyby.
    I agree. WB (and Jon Peters) were in such a weird place when it came to Superman during the 90's and early 00's. Edicts about no flying, issues with the suit, strange interpretations of Clark, etc, I'm sure Abrams wrote a script that WB thought they wanted. 15 years later gives new perspectives for all parties, so I'm sure Abrams would come up with something much more familiar than Flyby. I would just hope he doesn't join the chorus of changing the little things...Zack Snyder has said WB wanted Clark to be raised in Chicago, instead of Smallville, and it was something he had to fight them for.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

I think it's unfair to judge Abrams by the Flyby script. He was super young and unproven then, and since then, he has proven to be pretty darn good at handling franchises (Star Trek and Force Awakens...even if you had issues with Han). I'd be super comfortable with Abrams on Superman. Hope it happens.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Also...the Tweet is saying that Abrams is taking over all of DCEU. How'd we jump to him doing Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Also...the Tweet is saying that Abrams is taking over all of DCEU. How'd we jump to him doing Superman?
    It was just me being hopeful that WB still wants to make a Superman movie.

I thought James Gunn was going to be taking over all of the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It was just me being hopeful that WB still wants to make a Superman movie.
    ...why would you be hopeful about, when it's so contrary to everything we've gotten out of WB to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...why would you be hopeful about, when it's so contrary to everything we've gotten out of WB to date?
    Because it's hope, it's emotional and not always rational. Lol why would you hope for something that would be a sure thing? There's no reason to hope for something that is going to happen, you hope for the unsure, the desired, etc.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think it's unfair to judge Abrams by the Flyby script. He was super young and unproven then, and since then, he has proven to be pretty darn good at handling franchises (Star Trek and Force Awakens...even if you had issues with Han).
    It also needs to be remembered that this was during a period where WB was actively soliciting takes on Superman that were designed to be radically different and break away from the Christopher Reeve image. So much of the botched Superman Lives project was built behind this idea that Superman was too old fashioned and corny and needed to be updated and "reimagined" for a new generation, so a lot of the ideas kicked around at the time were explicitly done with this conceit in mind.

Anyway, kinda ominous. He hasn't clarified what spurred on this piece...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/By4zCH4g4Hh/

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Hate to say it but Supes just doesn't have the potential for wide appeal. Regardless of who they get, I don't think it is gonna make much of a difference I don't think we will ever see a Superman film hit 1bn ever.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.