Page 419 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 319369409415416417418419420421422423429469519919 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,285 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    A Justice League sequel probably isn't in the cards anytime soon.
    Eisenberg also said he's pretty sure he's not gonna be playing the character again anytime soon. So even if it's not a standalone film, the next time we see Lex will probably be a recast.

But frankly I'd be fine if any new Superman movie just steered clear of Lex for a while. Focus on some of Superman's other rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Eisenberg also said he's pretty sure he's not gonna be playing the character again anytime soon. So even if it's not a standalone film, the next time we see Lex will probably be a recast.

But frankly I'd be fine if any new Superman movie just steered clear of Lex for a while. Focus on some of Superman's other rogues.
    Better be or I won’t go see it, can’t stand him. But I’d rather see Metallo or Brainiac anyway. Do we think we’ll get a slate announced at SDCC 2020? After the recent successes WB might be feeling confident enough to start doing more long term plans, assuming BoP and WW1984 also do well.

Would love to see a Lex Luthor movie with Brian Cranston as Lex. Would be cool to see a film inspired by the Azzarello/Bermejo book Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. Throw in the fact that Lex has presidential aspirations. Could be amazing and relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Would love to see a Lex Luthor movie with Brian Cranston as Lex. Would be cool to see a film inspired by the Azzarello/Bermejo book Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. Throw in the fact that Lex has presidential aspirations. Could be amazing and relevant.
    Really? A millionaire who manipulates his way into office... and is secretly a supervillain who despises aliens...

You say relevant... I say an easy way to alienate and tick off half your hopeful audience. No way to do that without just setting fire to your profits.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Really? A millionaire who manipulates his way into office... and is secretly a supervillain who despises aliens...

You say relevant... I say an easy way to alienate and tick off half your hopeful audience. No way to do that without just setting fire to your profits.
    Meh, look at all the outcry and moral panic about Joker. It didn't stop anyone from wanting to explore the movie's themes for themselves

If anything Trump supporters should be flattered that he be compared to a fictional smartest person on Earth.

That being said I don't think I would like a President Lex movie without Superman being in it. The whole point is to create a moral crisis for the hero, for democracy to choose a villain. I'd rather a family-focused origin that shows the precursors of Lex's anti-Alien philosophy.

You take Superman out of Luthor and he's just...not Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You take Superman out of Luthor and he's just...not Luthor.
    That burning hatred and threatened ego is just so much of him, isn't it? Part of me feels the same way about Joker who needs someone he can troll endlessly.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I honestly feel, luthor can stay pretty independent of superman. He doesn't exactly need superman. But superman does cause him to hurtle down the orbit or find a new focal point. That's it. Luthor had a story before superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I honestly feel, luthor can stay pretty independent of superman. He doesn't exactly need superman. But superman does cause him to hurtle down the orbit or find a new focal point. That's it. Luthor had a story before superman.
    But it wasn't really Luthor's story before Superman showed up. Having Superman around to challenge him helped Lex focus and truly become the criminal mastermind the world knows him as.

He needs a Superman-figure to compare himself to and obsess over defeating/overcoming.

But it wasn't really Luthor's story before Superman showed up. Having Superman around to challenge him helped Lex focus and truly become the criminal mastermind the world knows him as.

He needs a Superman-figure to compare himself to and obsess over defeating/overcoming.
    You'd have to find a way to bring out Lex's character defining ego and envy without having Superman as his foil. That'd be a challenge, his rivalry with Superman is a big part of what separates him from other character's of a similar archtype. But I don't believe in unwritten rules like character x needs character y to be able to function. It's hard to see Holmes without Watson or vice versa, but is it impossible? probably not, I'm sure plenty of talented writers could make it work. That kind of thinking is limiting to creativity. People said the same thing about Joker and Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    You'd have to find a way to bring out Lex's character defining ego and envy without having Superman as his foil. That'd be a challenge, his rivalry with Superman is a big part of what separates him from other character's of a similar archtype. But I don't believe in unwritten rules like character x needs character y to be able to function. It's hard to see Holmes without Watson or vice versa, but is it impossible? probably not, I'm sure plenty of talented writers could make it work. That kind of thinking is limiting to creativity. People said the same thing about Joker and Batman.
    But Bruce Wayne was still in Joker though, if not in a major role.

But Bruce Wayne was still in Joker though, if not in a major role.
    Are you suggesting that if they cut out that small cameo, the whole movie would have fallen apart?

Dwayne Johnson confirms the JSA will be introduced in Black Adam.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Are you suggesting that if they cut out that small cameo, the whole movie would have fallen apart?
    No, just saying they didn't completely divorce The Joker from Batman. Heck, Thomas Wayne was involved somewhat with his motivations, right?

Dwayne Johnson confirms the JSA will be introduced in Black Adam.

No, just saying they didn't completely divorce The Joker from Batman. Heck, Thomas Wayne was involved somewhat with his motivations, right?
    Those are completely different character dynamics as the comics. Sure the Batman-Joker dynamic is subtly alluded to.....but it's a really really minor part of the movie, that could have easily been cut out with nothing of value lost. Thomas could have been named something else, he could have been Oswald Cobblepot or Hamilton Hill or something. Just kept it close enough to pay lip service to the Batverse that they justify calling the movie the Joker.

I guess they could borrow a very limited version of the "metahuman thesis" sparking a corporate arms race, and make Lex's goal to turn his middle-sized company into a powerhouse of national security & bio-weapon technology. He'd have to have one or several foils that he can actually defeat. To make it work he'd probably have to make a choice between ultimate success and preserving strained family relationships with his father and/or sister, and he sacrifices that attachment to come out on top and soak in the success. Show him as an innovative thinker constantly trying to prove himself, breaking the rules, and developing an elitist attitude in smallville where he feels restrained before he leaves. And yes, daddy beats him.

All the major companies-Wayne, Kord, and Queen industries are all too connected to heroes to be antagonists. They can get a mention but someone like Simon Stagg should be his biggest competitor. That's a good contrast actually since Stagg won't sacrifice his relationship with his daughter, the morally redeeming quality he has which holds him back from beating Luthor. Ivo and T.O. Morrow are also good candidates.

I think betrayal should be a central theme, with Mercy coming up as the only one willing to get as dirty as he does in order to help his vision. Yeah, this could work.