Page 291 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1912412812872882892902912922932942953013413917911291 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,365 of 20948

I would actually love to see a flamboyant/feminine gay man being written seriously in an action or superhero film. The natural inclination would be to make them sidekicks or comedic relief, because a feminine demeanor on a masculine figure is seen as the ultimate contradiction. But I think a good writer could make that work.

That being said, if Black Mask is gay, then it is kind of funny (in a not-so funny way) that the first superhero film to feature an out (or explicit) gay male character has him as the villain. Yes, gay male characters can and should be shown as villainous, but I would have preferred that happen later down the line after a couple of out heroic ones. Again, assuming the rumor is actually true or not.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

I'm probably not going to watch. I'm hearing gritty and violent (understandable with Black Mask), while I like less dark and gritty, so that's a negative. But already wasn't going to watch due to a lack of interest in Harley Quinn and an absolute aversion to her teaming up with heroes. Still hope the movie is good, though, in the sense obviously I want others to have movies they enjoy and I want more movies made that maybe I'll enjoy. I just hope for less "dark" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Please. People have been declaring the Birds of Prey movie DOA since it was announced and have been jumping on every single rumor, no matter how uncorroborated, that a DC movie would flop. Some are just more sly about it.

I mean, what exactly was the point of you responding to Stromberg's post by saying that it could be bad? Why is the idea that it could be a good movie so hard to believe that it warrants someone mockingly stating it could be bad?
    My point is that making up your mind on a movie doesn't matter until you see it. I'm just listing possibilities, next time I'll be sure to say a whole spectrum of answers. Maybe the movie will be the best of all time or just fine or forgettable or enjoyable. I don't care if BoP flops or makes money, I'm not getting any of it. I just hope I enjoy it, if not then oh well DC made another movie I didn't like. Then I'll wait for the next and the cycle will continue just like how forming opinions has always gone.

These forums are for people to voice their opinions, dreads, hopes, and fears about projects all the time. Whenever something positive or negative is said a bunch of people get up in arms that they aren't giving it a chance or are being too lenient when neither has seen the movie or made up their mind yet. It's fine even if you made up your mind to love or hate something before you even see it. That's up to you, you do you. I don't care what you choose, I'm gonna make up my mind when I see it and until then I'll comment how I feel about whatever news or opinions I hear about the project till it's release and beyond. Emotions and opinions are fleeting and shift with the wind, I'm totally open to Birds of Prey. It has two of my favorite actors in it and it's based on a team I love. A lot of the story beats and character stuff sounds really dumb to me as well. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't want to spoil a key plot detail, but there's something involving Black Mask that's hard to see how they could make it work. And these things are delicate. You never know how they're going to land with audiences. I actually love the fatherly themes in SUPERMAN RETURNS and the Martha moment in BVS lifted my spirits. On the other hand, I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was horribly offensive and that won awards.
    I read up on the rumors. I don't think we'll have to worry about him being an offensive stereotype, but doing it via hints and vague suggestions rather than outright statement could be considered queerbaiting, which is a highly disdained practice. Then again, we all know very little about how this film will turn out, but I'd be very surprise if one of its problems turned out to be that it wasn't woke enough.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm expecting it to be a good indie, counter-culture, female-led film but less so a good DC Superhero film based on the Birds of Prey.

But haven't those usually been accurate though? Just look at BvS, SS, and Justice League.
    Ironically the initial buzz on BVS was the exact opposite:

According to Den of Geek, a "near finished" version of BvS was recently screened for WB's executives and the film's crew. The report claims the screening was a "glowing success" and the movie earned a standing ovation when it finished. After watching the movie, WB's higher-ups allegedly called Affleck the "definitive Batman" - a sentiment some fans expressed after seeing the first official image of Affleck in a costume inspired by Frank Miller's iconic The Dark Knight Returns comic series. If true, this is a promising development for WB and its relationship with Snyder, as they continue to work together on building the DCEU.
    Those bolded points are all kinda "Ouch" in hindsight, which is why I'm often wary of initial test screenings.

All that said, I actually am confident about BOP though. I think this one is really gonna surprise people.
    Last edited by Holt; 07-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Ironically the initial buzz on BVS was the exact opposite:

Those bolded points are all kinda "Ouch" in hindsight, which is why I'm often wary of initial test screenings.
    Test screenings are one thing, but as I remember it the general tone on the internet about BvS before and during the run-up to that film was highly negative. People and critics had their knives out well in advance.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Test screenings are one thing, but as I remember it the general tone on the internet about BvS before and during the run-up to that film was highly negative. People and critics had their knives out well in advance.
    Please don’t use the “it was the critics fault” that the movie failed excuse for BvS. It had a huge opening weekend and dropped off significantly after that. 99% of the time that means there was not positive word of mouth by people who had seen it. You really can’t blame that on angry comic book fans on the internet either. In reality comic book fans are a very small demographic of film goers.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I would actually love to see a flamboyant/feminine gay man being written seriously in an action or superhero film. The natural inclination would be to make them sidekicks or comedic relief, because a feminine demeanor on a masculine figure is seen as the ultimate contradiction. But I think a good writer could make that work.

That being said, if Black Mask is gay, then it is kind of funny (in a not-so funny way) that the first superhero film to feature an out (or explicit) gay male character has him as the villain. Yes, gay male characters can and should be shown as villainous, but I would have preferred that happen later down the line after a couple of out heroic ones. Again, assuming the rumor is actually true or not.
    Making Black Mask this effeminate gay villain just seems kind of random to me. More random then when they made Penguin on Gotham gay (although in-universe I think he was supposed to be pansexual).
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    All that said, I actually am confident about BOP though. I think this one is really gonna surprise people.
    I'm already surprised a lot about how they're handling this movie, just not necesarilly in a good way .

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It could also be bad.

What's your point?
    My point was to counter your point that it could legitimately be a mess. You already stated your automatic belief that the movie could be bad, I was simply countering that.

Fantastic Member

Personally, I'm not paying attention to test screenings or rumors about WB executives (that all seems a little too convenient and "on the nose" for fears of a DC movie). I'm paying attention to comic insiders that I respect like Gail Simone and Jimmy Palmiotti that have inside info, been on set and such and are very complimentary about the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Personally, I'm not paying attention to test screenings or rumors about WB executives (that all seems a little too convenient and "on the nose" for fears of a DC movie). I'm paying attention to comic insiders that I respect like Gail Simone and Jimmy Palmiotti that have inside info, been on set and such and are very complimentary about the film.
    Simone liking it means a lot although it kind of makes me wonder how open she is to such a radical interpretation of the BoP.

I'm also kind of wondering how she feels about the Harley involvement unless there's a scene where Dinah socks her, given Simone's tendency to not treat Harley well in the comics, but she could like Margot Robbie as the character.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Simone liking it means a lot although it kind of makes me wonder how open she is to such a radical interpretation of the BoP.

I'm also kind of wondering how she feels about the Harley involvement unless there's a scene where Dinah socks her, given Simone's tendency to not treat Harley well in the comics, but she could like Margot Robbie as the character.
    The most direct thing Gail has said is that she guarantees that Jurnee is going to kill it as Black Canary beyond that it's more vague compliments towards projects she has inside knowledge of but can't speak on directly.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Zachary Levi Says Crossover with Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam Will Happen In Shazam! 3: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/14/...over-shazam-3/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Please don’t use the “it was the critics fault” that the movie failed excuse for BvS. It had a huge opening weekend and dropped off significantly after that. 99% of the time that means there was not positive word of mouth by people who had seen it. You really can’t blame that on angry comic book fans on the internet either. In reality comic book fans are a very small demographic of film goers.
    That's not what I meant at all, just that the buzz in the leadup for the movie was terrible among both critics and "on the internet". It looked bad, was marketed badly, and turned out to be bad as well.
    As of now:

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    I wouldn't pay too much heed to comic book professionals either in this case, they wouldn't badmouth something from the parent company that writes their checks. Case in point, Dan Slott gushing over how great Amazing Spider-Man 2 was going to be.
    As of now: