Page 463 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473513563963 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    People are "sick" of her in the same way there's a group of people that hate every popular character that Marvel or DC gives a push to. That doesn't change the fact that her books sell and that there's clearly an interest in the character.
    People were sick of Joker too, felt he was too over used, and couldn't see the point of making a Joker movie without Batman in it. And then the Joker movie came out and made $1 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Judging by your avatar I'm guessing you're a Dinah fan. And if the movie did right by her, that's really about all I ask of it. My wife wants to see it next weekened, so I guess I'll see it then.
    My main issues with Dinah are superficial. I really wish they would have worked more of her iconography into her wardrobe. And aside from 2 or3 things that I felt were out of character the script and Jurnee did Dinah justice, in my opinion.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    People were sick of Joker too, felt he was too over used, and couldn't see the point of making a Joker movie without Batman in it. And then the Joker movie came out and made $1 billion.
    quality of the movie also contributes in that. Brand power can only attract attention. It cannot provide sustainable success. That requires your product to be of their target audiences tastes.

3RD UPDATE, Saturday AM: w/chart: In the wake of hitting highs with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all-time in the 11-time Oscar-nominated and billion-dollar-plus grossing Joker, Warner Bros’ DC is hitting a pothole in the road with the Suicide Squad spinoff Birds of Prey, which made $13 million yesterday (including previews) on its way to a $33.8 million opening stateside.
    Unfortunately, the solid reviews of 82% certified fresh, and 4-star PostTrak, and B+ CinemaScore audience exits (same as Suicide Squad and Joker), aren’t doing any favors here with the pic’s ticket sales. Rivals believe the exits are alright, just not the kind that take you over the top at the box office.
    https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-o...ie-1202853768/

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

oof...

A lot of discussions on twitter about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    My main issues with Dinah are superficial. I really wish they would have worked more of her iconography into her wardrobe. And aside from 2 or3 things that I felt were out of character the script and Jurnee did Dinah justice, in my opinion.
    If the only real issues are superficial, we'll be doing far better than I expected.

Still, a little more visual accuracy wouldn't have hurt. I don't care about the actress being mixed race, but nothing about her wardrobe that I've seen says "Dinah" to me. And gods damn it, bikers deserve representation too!

You know what? Not even bothered by this. Right now I'd rather see great reviews than a big opening weekend. We've seen big opening weekends that crash and burn in week 2 and the film goes on to be reviled. I'd rather a film have a slow start but great word of mouth.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Honestly there’s more to be happy over than anything. This movie doesn’t have a huge budget so I expect it will make a profit, it’s another critical success that helps bolster DC’s brand, the writer of BoP will be doing Flash so hopefully Flash will also be a critical success, and maybe DC will stop shoving Harley into everything now that it’s shown she doesn’t just magically make everything sell better.

They should have just titled the movie Harley Quinn. I'll never understand why they didn't do that when the entire movie is built around Harley. She is the bigger brand than BoP and it also doesn't waste the BoP title for a Harley movie.

Maybe they overestimated the brand strength of Harley too and she isn't able to carry a movie by herself without Joker, Batman or other well known characters. A Gotham City Sirens movie with Catwoman and Ivy probably would have done a lot better too given how well known Catwoman and Ivy are, but I guess they also didn't want to use Catwoman when they are using her for the new Batman movie as well.

I figure they wanted to piggyback the BoP off Harley's popularity. It's not that they add anything to her or the odds of the film doing well, it's that Harley increases their profile and might make a *actual* BoP film possible as a kinda-sorta sequel.

Or at least I think that might've been the plan. Same logic that told them to do a JL movie and then spin Cyborg and Flash out of that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think when folks say that-they mean when does quality control play a hand in it?

Now in comics-we have seen that with TOO MANY folks to the point it's a turnoff.

Now outside of comics-Joker as the solo lead has not happened. Same with Harley. They like others tend to be apart of bigger projects.

Also there is a double standard-it's fine to shove Harley in everything based on she's popular and sells. Yet try that with a Black Panther, hello goal posts moving to NOT have that happen or belittling what has been done.

You know what? Not even bothered by this. Right now I'd rather see great reviews than a big opening weekend. We've seen big opening weekends that crash and burn in week 2 and the film goes on to be reviled. I'd rather a film have a slow start but great word of mouth.
    Also be aware there are some comic book stores doing FREE showings. Now how that works is BEYOND me but one of my stores is doing that.

Just looking at my city theaters-there are ZERO morning or afternoon showings today. NONE in Spanish.

Sunday has those showings and a few Spanish lang showings.

Valentine's Day-a day where kids in my school district are OUT and it's a 3 day weekend starting. BOP is only showing at 2 theaters so far. One in downtown Dallas (near where the Mavericks play) and Mesquite.

If this sticks to being shown in only 2 theaters-something has to be up.

I'm kind of torn on how I feel about this.

On the one hand, I want movies headlined by DC women, and DC movies in general, to do well...but on the other hand I still have personal reservations about this movie.

Astonishing Member

WB overestimated the popularity of Robbie's HQ. It's been 4 years since her last appearance and I don't recall a big clamoring for her return. Now her merch definitely sells but her onscreen appearance is nothing compared to Ryan's Deadpool. Harley is a pillar for the comics but not so for the DCEU. Giving the movie an R rating hurt the box office but I don't think she has the box office draw.

BANNED

did you guys like the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    did you guys like the movie
    It far exceeded my expectations. Honestly, its sole flaw is Cassandra Cain's name. Give her another name, not even surname, and I'd be 100% fine with her and would love her as an acolyte to Harley in the comics.

But that's honestly a minor grievance in the end. The film is extremely enjoyable, extremely impressive in how graphic it allows itself to be and I dare to say feminist in the best possible way, because you can't help but root for those women, no matter how terrible some of them are.

spoilers:
    And of course, the editing itself. My God ! The scene at Ace Chimical ? It's wonderful. And Harley assaulting the police precinct... I loved it.
    end of spoilers

In fact, I love this movie, i just do even when I think about Cass. It's definitively extremely close to Aquaman in my heart, which is my favorite DCEU movie (BvS being a close third by now).

I get that not everyone will like it, but honestly, I prefer it that way. Because you can tell that Cathy Yan got a lot of freedom to do as she pleased, and that's awesome ! Margot Robbie is definitively able to shoulder her own little corner of the DCEU but I also wants to see more of Renee, BC and Huntress together.

I'm not sure I'll go back to the theatre to see it, but I definitively see it again sooner or later, unlike a lot of movies I've seen the last few years.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/hbo-max...el-1202852403/

Warner Bros. has made a new film label for the HBO Max streaming service, aptly named Warner Max. They're going to be making mid-range films, eight to ten a year, for the service. I imagine DC is in the equation. In particular, I can see The Trench and the rumored Amazons spin-off being on there.

Anything else we might see? Anything you want to see?