Page 251 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1512012412472482492502512522532542552613013517511251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 20948
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Then, they should find a New God who is/can be a PoC. There is probably one or two, right ? Big Barda is very clearly a Caucasian Woman in every incarnation of the character. Just find someone like Gal Gadot, if you don't want a scandinavian looking actress.

Seriously, how would people have reacted if Okoye had been made a white woman in Black Panther because one would have been deemed it "necessary" (and truth been told, I found Agent Ross presence unnecessary in the story overall anyway, I could have done without a white "main character" in Black Panther) ?
    The difference being is that race is a prominent component in current PoC comic characters. Their story and how they interact with their world is affected by their race. Whereas being white is not a major component in how most white characters interact with their world(aside from obvious exceptions. That Okoye comparison doesn’t track because changing her to a white woman changes her entire being, to the point where she doesn’t fit in Black Panthers story.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    The difference being is that race is a prominent component in current PoC comic characters. Their story and how they interact with their world is affected by their race. Whereas being white is not a major component in how most white characters interact with their world(aside from obvious exceptions. That Okoye comparison doesn’t track because changing her to a white woman changes her entire being, to the point where she doesn’t fit in Black Panthers story.
    Then if being a PoC is so defining for a character, how can you justify the race-swapping of a white character into a PoC ? Clearly, his color isn't a major part of their entire being. It worked somewhat in Aquaman, because of the "biracial" vibe that the character has had for a long time. But how would Big Barda being non-white serve her exactly, beyond tokenism ?

Robert Pattinson seems to have earned the role of Batman : https://www.cbr.com/robert-pattinson...ner-bros-deal/

Hopefully we'll get an idea of the batsuit used soon enough
    Welp. We finally have a new Batman .

Then if being a PoC is so defining for a character, how can you justify the race-swapping of a white character into a PoC ? Clearly, his color isn't a major part of their entire being. It worked somewhat in Aquaman, because of the "biracial" vibe that the character has had for a long time. But how would Big Barda being non-white serve her exactly, beyond tokenism ?
    I don't understand that statement, what do you mean?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I don't understand that statement, what do you mean?
    In real life -and in many fictions -because of the impact that US industry, and thus history has there - PoC often have a certain number of traits assigned to them as constituent elements, no matter the social class. A black character in most fiction will face racism, ostracism and other hurdles in his/her way, no matter if she's from a wealthy family or not, or one which try to integrate into the mainstream society (ie, the White one), in an open or less overt manner. White characters aren't so defined by their color (for better or worse, being white in the western cultures is basically being the bland default. A white character can have struggles, being poor, sick, etc. but his sole skin color doesn't define so much as it does for PoC).

But how is race-swapping a white character into a PoC makes any of that integral to the character ? How will Black Canary being biracial have a play into her character in Bird of Preys ? How would a non-white Big Barda ? It would just be cosmetic. Honestly, I can live with that, even if I won't like it much (I like the look of Black Canary in the upcoming movie). But stating that it is different from whitewashing is simply untrue and unfair. It's colorwashing, but it's acceptable in the mainstream's eye because people of colors do face unfair and absurd restrictions in getting roles in movies (especially when they should have all the roles, really. Looking at you Gods of Egypt, where no white actor should have been present!).

And I think that stating that no director should be criticized for colorwashing a character because they simply want a main character as a PoC won't help them land more roles in the long term, and won't help develop the dozens of characters of colors which deserves more.

Let's be honest here : Vixen may not have so many rogues and great stories in comics... But she's an extremely solid concept, and surely screenwriters could actually create some awesome story and characters for her mythos, allowing for a potential awakening in comics. And she isn't the only one. Meanwhile, making Big Barda a woman of color won't help her one bit, because her color will mean nothing in her background nor her potential development.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Welp. We finally have a new Batman .
    Finally. Let's get the Reeves stuff on the road already.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member

Because being white isn't a defining trait for most white characters. Like I said.... You can swap their race and it may add new dimensions or they can keep them the same. But changing a historically PoC character changes everything about them.

How does Barda being non-white serve her story? Just as much as her being white serves her story now. She's currently a white humanoid alien and changing her race could either mean nothing or it could alter her interactions with certain cultures or people based on how you frame it. Right now you're essentially saying that it's meaningless to change the race of white characters and that it doesn't matter. So why are you arguing against if it doesn't matter?

And stop using phrases like tokenism or colorwashing. One of them isn't even a real word and makes you look suspect.
    Last edited by ross61; 05-31-2019 at 01:59 PM.

From Forbes:

Supergirl is tentatively expected to start production in the first quarter of 2020, and I suspect we'll hear casting information start to circulate in a few months. Early 2020 -- most likely March or April -- is when The Batman is supposed to begin shooting, too, so now that Pattinson has been cast we should begin hearing additional casting reports soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Because being white isn't a defining trait for most white characters. Like I said.... You can swap their race and it may add new dimensions or they can keep them the same. But changing a historically PoC character changes everything about them.
    This is totally hypocritical, frankly I don't care that much about the live-action stuff. They can do whatever, I just want a mostly faithful version of the character. But if they want to do something radically different, make it good. Like Will Smith Deadshot was literally just Will Smith with barely any Deadshot in that character.

Changing a character's race, creed, sexuality is a huge fundamental change. A Bruce Wayne that grew up rich as the only wealthy minority family in Gotham would have a different outlook than white Bruce. New 52 Earth 2 Alan Scott is nowhere near how Pre-52 Alan Scott is. If you're going to do a race change, sex change, whatever change then make it actually affect the character. Otherwise if they're still the same character just with a couple different elements then what was the point of the change?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I still find this so strange .

BANNED

Deadshot was portrayed by Will Smith for the sole purpose of having Will Smith in the movie. Originally Shia Labeouf was in talks to play Deadshot, when Smith joined the cast the script was altered to give that character more of a leading role. Again, they had the role basically locked down with a storyline set in place before Smith came along. But he isn't the only one. There was a pretty major reaction to the Suicide Squad casting; the top cast were either big or rising names from disparate areas. Will Smith, Leto, Davis, Margot Robbie, and Tom Hardy initially in the role of Rick Flag. Suicide Squad itself (the film) was a cash grab concept. I have doubts there were internal discussions about changing characters' races prior to that film going into production. It was all about cutting the check. Things like that, with characters who are not A-listers (AKA guaranteed money makers in any era of history) , will always happen, because there will be some person in charge looking over characters in a script and surmising that a higher percentage of people will not care if the character's ethnicity or background goes through a change, either to guarantee representation of some kind or to cut a check.

However, stuff like making Batman black is different, because that character is universally-known and timeless; there would be fear that an overwhelming amount of people would be against that idea. A situation where a studio will say "F it, this character is ____ now" for whatever reason, knowing full well it will make headlines, is a cop out to me. Regardless, in both examples there is no actual desire to have representation for a certain race or background, it's just for money and the attention. Representation would be elevating the lesser-known (and yes, existing) characters attached to the property and giving them the same kind of treatment of any other superhero character. Studios have no desire whatsoever to do this because they know it would take work to elevate the brand of a character like Amazing Man or Midnighter. There is no "that character can't hold up a solo comic/TV show/movie" argument anymore because we've seen that all it takes is creators behind it who care.

someone mentioned that WB want the Supergirl movie to compete with the MCU and Captain Marvel as leads of their respective universes... :l

Astonishing Member

If they ever did cast a black guy to play Batman I wonder how many dumb jokes like " Move over Ben Affleck, Batman just got darker...literally" would be prevalent.

"Batman really did become the Dark Knight!"

Ugh.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    If they ever did cast a black guy to play Batman I wonder how many dumb jokes like " Move over Ben Affleck, Batman just got darker...literally" would be prevalent.

"Batman really did become the Dark Knight!"

Ugh.
    "I am the night... even during the day!"

Yeah, double ugh!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

You guys are just making those jokes yourselves and masking it as hypothetical. No reason to say it because it's not even being said... super unnecessary