Page 297 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1972472872932942952962972982993003013073473977971297 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 20948
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Black Adam movie details: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/28/...movie-details/

NEW GODS Director Ava DuVernay Drops Intriguing Casting Hint; Confirms Darkseid And The Furies: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/new_g...furies-a169808
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 07-31-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Last year, no kids showed up at my house wearing Marvel costumes, none, but kids showed up in Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman costumes. Not to mention I see people wearing Superman shirts on a near daily basis.
    Dude where do you live? Last Halloween our city was full of kids wearing marvel heroes costumes. Tons and tons of spidey (classic and black outfits. Bet we will see some miles and spider-gwen outfits this year) plus saw iron man, war machine, iron patriot(!), thor (complete with toy hammer), saw a groot and two rockets, black panther, wolverine, many hulks, cap America, and to my surprise a girl as American dream! Went to point mallerd's Halloween party and tons of kids in marvel outfits were there.

As for dc the three big ones were batman (no surprise there, there was lots of batmans out), wonder woman and supergirl!! Shocked with how many supergirls there were. Only saw maybe two supermans but tons of supergirls. The others I saw was joker (classic and dark knight version), batgirl, (pink and blue outfits versions) and Harley. (kind of surprised but did see some harley's)

So batman and superman cast plus wonder woman are the big ones for dc.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-31-2019 at 06:19 AM.

Do you want to know who invented humor in superhero films? Donner.

Also, Feige is a big fan of Superman the Movie and has used it as inspiration for his movies, and it shows. Many big time directors like Nolan, Patty Jenkins did too.

Last halloween I also saw mostly kids wearing DC costumes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash). I never see kids wearing Iron Man Tshirts, only Captain America, Spiderman and Avengers.

DC has had the most cultural impact on the world until recently with the mcu. Before that, only Spiderman and Hulk were visible. X-Men were always more niche. Superman has been mentioned and referenced in movies, songs, TV shows, sports more than any other superhero. DC has also been very present on TV since forever with Superman shows, Adam West Batman, Lynda Carter WW, Superfriends, animation, and now the Arrowverse, which like it or not has been quite popular or it wouldn't have lasted this long. How long did the Marvel shows on Netflix last?

Like someone said, box office doesn't equal quality or staying power in people's consciousness. Let's wait 20 years to see who is remembered by the masses. I know Macdonalds is the most famous fast food chain, but do I consider it the best place to eat a good meal? No way.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 07-31-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Retired

It's probably just my DC bias, but I feel like there is such a wide and deep amount of stuff that DC has that it's a shame more of this doesn't get used for movies, animation and TV--and only a fraction of that is super-hero stuff, DC is more than its super-heroes. Whereas, I feel like Marvel has a much narrower amount of stuff, yet that stuff gets to be used a lot.

To employ a TV analogy, DC would be the entire CBS network and all the programming they offered, while Marvel would only be the Aaron Spelling production company and everything they produced. Both owned a lot, but the amount that the former had dwarfed everything from the latter.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Nobody here is talking about who invented what first. I don't know why that is being brought up? It's not relevant to the discussion. All I said is that the MCU has clearly influenced the way the general audience and critics look at and judge superhero and blockbuster films. I've seen more than enough times critics say a particular film is trying to be like or is like a Marvel film, and this is a thing a few DCEU films have been sometimes unfairly a victim of. We've all seen that.

Again, your own experience is not the same thing as a general occurrence. My experience in Britain and Nigeria tell me Star Wars isn't a big deal as I've hardly seen it come up in general discussion or in anything else (though this may also be because I've only seen Rogue One in theatres and I'm not a huge SW fan anyway). To compare, the MCU is pretty big in Nigeria and so is the Fast & Furious franchise. Am I then gonna say Star Wars has no impact because of my experience? No, because there's more than enough evidence to suggest otherwise. That's the point I'm making.

I also don't think anyone will deny the DC brand is very popular on its own, something the movies have greatly benefited from. In fact, I never even said the DC films weren't popular. I was refuting an argument suggesting the MCU was not.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Like someone said, box office doesn't equal quality or staying power in people's consciousness. Let's wait 20 years to see who is remembered by the masses. I know Macdonalds is the most famous fast food chain, but do I consider it the best place to eat a good meal? No way.
    Well there's your problem. I never said box office equals quality. I've not even been talking about quality. I've been talking about cultural impact. You're conflating the two together when they're not the same thing. Lots of movies are popular and have cultural impact, but are said to not be of high quality. The Room is a good example of this. Even Titanic can be used as an example (some critics think the script is quite rubbish). To use Star Wars as an example again, the prequel films weren't hailed as high quality cinema, but they became impactful movies. Same thing can be said about the Donner Superman movie. Same thing can be said about the MCU too. I never came here to assert it was a high quality franchise. If you ask me, they don't have a single film that is a masterpiece. It's a good enough/great blockbuster franchise that has continued to defy expectations again and again, and is therefore popular.

Again, box office does not equal cultural impact, but it can be used as evidence to suggest it. if you look at some of the most culturally relevant films, there's a clear correlation between relevance/popularity and box office success. How else do you want to judge a movie by its popularity anyway? Are you gonna tell me films like The Dark Knight, Titanic, The Lion King are others aren't also culturally impactful because of their box office gross?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Young Justice definitely. Haven't seen much of Doom Patrol though.
    I've seen tons of people talk about it, even past these forums. Wasn't it, like, the indie streaming hit of the season ?

Six kids came to my door on Halloween, one dressed up as Spider-Man, one as Batman, and the other four as Jar Jar Binks. We weren't home, so the kids danced the Macarena in our bushes.

It was a wild scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Uh, what?
    I agreed with you, but pivoted to make the point that Marvel's film empire sprung from their comics / animation / merchandise empire, which has been dominant for 3 decades. DC has two A+ IPs, and a bunch of largely unrelated smaller fish.

Whereas Marvel has 2-3 A+ IPs, and a bunch of directly related properties that are also in the A to B+ class.

So expecting DC to follow Marvel's model, or expecting the same result, is unrealistic.

WB knows this, which is why they're historically gun-shy on non-Batman properties.

Retired

Marvel's most popular characters keep shifting. In the 1960s, it was Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four (featuring the Thing). By the 1970s, the Hulk joined that company and they also had Conan the Barbarian. In the 1980s, it was the X-Men (featuring Wolverine) and the Punisher.

By selling off the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man to other movie houses--the MCU had to develop second banana characters like Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. Necessity was the mother of invention.

DC has really only had two big name characters. For most of their history it was Superman. And then later Batman overtook Superman. And because WB had control over both characters, they never had the need to give other characters the spotlight.

However, DC has had lots of great characters in its library. They just never were desperate enough to use them to their full potential--and when they did use them they often botched them. DC has Sandman, Watchmen, Plastic Man, Swamp Thing, Sgt. Rock, Jonah Hex, Blackhawk, Peter Porkchop, Sugar & Spike, Stanley and His Monster, Scooter, Bomba, Doom Patrol, Enemy Ace, the Losers, Amethyst, Phantom Stranger, Deadman, Black Orchid, Kid Eternity, Angel and the Ape, the Creeper, Hawk and Dove, the Question, Wonder Woman, New Gods, Mister Miracle, Kamandi, the Demon, Newsboy Legion, Boy Commandos, Justice Society, Legion of Super-Heroes, Space Cabbie, Star Hawkins, Captain Comet, John Constantine, Warlord, Animal Man, Dr. Occult, Detective Chimp, House of Mystery, Dial H for HERO, Tomahawk, Binky and his Buddies, Nighthawk, Adam Strange, Shade the Changing Man, Lobo, the Invisibles, Tommy Tomorrow, King Faraday, Johnny Peril, the Human Target, Black Lightning, Green Arrow, Books of Magic, Fables and the 3 Mouseketeers.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Black Adam movie details: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/28/...movie-details/

NEW GODS Director Ava DuVernay Drops Intriguing Casting Hint; Confirms Darkseid And The Furies: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/new_g...furies-a169808
    I think that's a reasonably accurate description of Black Adam. He has a moral compass and often uses violence accordingly, it just doesn't align with our modern definition of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I cannot wait for this. Is there a date yet? Easily my most anticipated comic book movie possibly ever. If Tom King captures the magic of even half of his Mr. Miracle series, it will be tremendous. And Ava DuVernay pulls no punches.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I cannot wait for this. Is there a date yet? Easily my most anticipated comic book movie possibly ever. If Tom King captures the magic of even half of his Mr. Miracle series, it will be tremendous. And Ava DuVernay pulls no punches.
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited for it. New Gods is kind of a hard vibe to capture but if anyone can help King will.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Titans and YJ have both been streaming hits and the latter was recently renewed for a fourth season. The popularity of the Marvel Netflix shows is equally meaningless as long as they are cancelled.
    I know it's meaningless for the Marvel Netflix shows, that was my point.

DC could swoop in and take that spot but they didn't.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

Again, the shows are doing well and have been getting a great deal of positive buzz. You just seem to be unaware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

Again, the shows are doing well and have been getting a great deal of positive buzz. You just seem to be unaware of it or are letting your dislike of Titans blind you to it.