Page 317 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2172673073133143153163173183193203213273674178171317 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 20948

The "There is an obvious bias against serious comic book films" crowd is not gonna have a good day. I'm hyped for this.

So how long before we have people trying to piss on this by saying BvS got good early reactions or whatever such nonsense?

Retired

I'm always flummoxed by how people get in their own way needlessly.

I can understand that people have preferences--I have them--but when I watch a movie, I try to put aside whatever baggage I have and just take in the movie that the director wants me to see.

If I have a problem with movies, it's when the director gets in his own way. An example of this would be A SIMPLE FAVOR from Paul Feig, where it seems like the director is getting in his own way and changes his mind several times about what the movie is supposed to be. But as long as the director has a clear vision, and if he sticks the landing, then I consider that a successful movie.

JOKER has it coming from all sides. There are some people who have a very particular opinion of who and what Joker is--and that's defined by a very small list of comics and maybe one movie--and because this movie is not going to satisfy their need to see that one Joker, then they are ready to campaign loudly against it. And there are people who have a very closed view of what a comic book movie is and what it should do--and because JOKER won't deliver that to them, they think it's a bad movie. People don't seem willing to let go of their expectations and just let the movie do its thing.

This is what concerns me. Either JOKER is going to rise above all that noise--in which case it could make a billion dollars--or it's going to be overwhelmed by the noise--and maybe make 300 million dollars. It isn't going to lose money--because its budget is 55 million--but I have no idea how it's going be received at the box office.

And if people can't let go of their own baggage and let JOKER have a chance, what hope do we have for seeing a good Phantom Stranger movie or a good Amethyst movie?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Forgive me, but i don't see any similarities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The only similarity is that they're standing in the same direction. That’s about it.
    Yeah, I don't really see it either. Maybe if she was actually wearing the Black Canary costume, but that's about it.

Makes me miss DCAU Dinah...
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It looks like WB is still embarrassed to be making superhero movies.

Not saying it'll be bad, just saying there's an aesthetic.
    I don't know if they're embarrassed about making Superhero movies so much as they're willing to give this film some major creative liberties.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

You can't exactly accuse WB being embarrassed of making superhero movies when Aquaman and Shazam were their last two DC movies...
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 08-31-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

86% fresh
    9.15/10 average
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    You can't exactly accuse WB being embarrassed of making superhero movies when Aquaman and Shazam were their last two DC movies...
    Yeah, you'd have a more accurate accusation that WB isn't at all consistent with their Superhero movies .

The embarrassed to be making superhero movies accusation is and always has been a load of crap. It's based pretty much on the idea there is only one way to make a superhero movie and anything that diverges from that is considered invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So how long before we have people trying to piss on this by saying BvS got good early reactions or whatever such nonsense?
    BvS was panned right from the get go though.

I guess a case could be made for Man of Steel which slid from positive to negative on Rotten Tomatoes, but the early reviews weren't anywhere as close to the raves that Joker is receiving so far.

The embarrassed to be making superhero movies accusation is and always has been a load of crap. It's based pretty much on the idea there is only one way to make a superhero movie and anything that diverges from that is considered invalid.
    Yes this. My tolerance for the MCU formula has been wearing thin for some time now and the only reason I've not fully neglected watching those films is because they are finally starting to showcase more versatility in films like Black Panther and Far From Home. Don't get some parts of the internet (and media) pressure on DC to stick to the same cookie-cutter mold.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, there is no 'right' way to do a superhero movie. There are plenty of comics that don't fit the normal criteria of what is traditionally thought of as “superhero movies” is. DC has already done plenty of elseworld tales that are gritty and darker takes of these character’s like that Brian Azzarello Joker graphic novel released over a decade ago. Hell even Year One was more of a cop drama of the inner turmoil of city falling apart with Batman also a tertiary character with Jim Gordon being a main character. People who say this have a very narrow and homogeneous view of what superhero films should be. Superhero comics can and have told a variety of different and diverse stories.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-31-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Both of those shots are pretty generic. Nothing in the image of Smolett-Bell really screams Black Canary.
    But one shot isn't an indication, the movie's actual execution could still be great.
    If you believe Gail Simone, Jurnee is apparently a fantastic Black Canary, and she's not the only one who's said Jurnee is a stand-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    86% fresh
    9.15/10 average
    A 9.15 average? Gonna be a lot of perfect scores.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Look dude, elseworlds is for those grand ideas. I expect something that is closer to mainstream image of the characters portrayed for main dcuniverse films. If that is black canary, then i am not impressed. Ofcourse, i could be wrong but as of now this is my opinion . Arrow was also a live action. But, i don't think i got a true blue green arrow out of that. We watch these live action stuff to see the comic characters come to life with as much as essence of the source as possible.if we don't get that from main universe,then we won't get it from anywhere. So, i can understand the complaint.