Page 294 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1942442842902912922932942952962972983043443947941294 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well they are releasing two new Superman animated features next year so they still have some interest in the character.
    Different division than the live action movies. On the TV side for COIE on the CW there will be at least two, maybe three Supermen. That sort of indicates the movie people have no
    interest in Superman because they usually don't let the TV side use characters if they plan on using the characters in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Different division than the live action movies. On the TV side for COIE on the CW there will be at least two, maybe three Supermen. That sort of indicates the movie people have no
    interest in Superman because they usually don't let the TV side use characters if they plan on using the characters in a movie.
    Well, where one avenue fails, another can make up for .

Yeah I’ll take those animated movies (though I wish Timm wasn’t involved). I hope Routh gets to give a good performance and wash away Returns in peoples minds. Dude was a good actor with a terrible script.

I really hope DC does a better job with its advertising campaigns, with Shazam they put in the bare minimum of effort.

Given the subject material, one can only presume Joker will be a dark movie. Birds of Prey is said to be dark, gritty and violent. Have we any word of tone on Wonder Woman 1984 or any subsequent movies? I'm hoping for something uplifting and hopeful and purely good-guys-win, though treated a bit more seriously than Shazam! Alas, last time I heard anything about the Flash movie it was about aiming for a darker storyline. Can't think of any other movies I've heard anything about.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-27-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Retired

Why didn't Warners do what Disney did with the MCU? I know people will say they did, but not really and not successfully. Kevin Feige had a plan and stuck to the plan and he was able to keep everyone on track. I'm not saying that's what should have happened with the DC movies, but given the success that Disney has enjoyed, you would think that Warners would try to copy that formula and stick with it, because the reward has been so great for Disney. Given how Hollywood is known for copying anything that makes money, it's strange that eleven years in the MCU game plan hasn't been successfully replicated.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Why didn't Warners do what Disney did with the MCU? I know people will say they did, but not really and not successfully. Kevin Feige had a plan and stuck to the plan and he was able to keep everyone on track. I'm not saying that's what should have happened with the DC movies, but given the success that Disney has enjoyed, you would think that Warners would try to copy that formula and stick with it, because the reward has been so great for Disney. Given how Hollywood is known for copying anything that makes money, it's strange that eleven years in the MCU game plan hasn't been successfully replicated.

They tried to copy it by rushing it.

Not to harp on old info again, but this was never intended to be an MCU-like universe. Snyder himself has confirmed this. He had a 5-film plan with room for some spinoffs, but that's it. There was no "rushing to catch up". The info is out there, people just need to read it.

https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-d...cu-comparison/

Man of Steel finished shooting in August 2011; the MCU was still in Phase 1 at that point, there was nothing to "copy" because nobody at that time knew how big the MCU would get. Even when BvS started shooting in 2013-2014, there wasn't much to "copy".
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 07-27-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Why didn't Warners do what Disney did with the MCU?
    I think they tried, but fumbled execution. More importantly, it may not have worked anyway:

The Marvel Universe is a chain of more or less equally strong links. It's why their worst-selling books back in the day outsold DC's best-selling books - X-Men and Spider-Man pulled up sales on lesser books due to the continuity-heavy approach. The hype was you had to read all their output.

They mirrored that with their movies. And it worked - possibly because they spent 3-4 decades establishing a brand of intertwined properties.

DC is not that, and never has been. They have distinct fiefdoms that are not intersected by concept or setting. WB's long-held view has been that DC is basically Superman, Batman and a lot of less bankable properties. And I think that's historically correct. Copying Marvel's approach likely wouldn't work, at least up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I think they tried, but fumbled execution. More importantly, it may not have worked anyway:

The Marvel Universe is a chain of more or less equally strong links. It's why their worst-selling books back in the day outsold DC's best-selling books - X-Men and Spider-Man pulled up sales on lesser books due to the continuity-heavy approach. The hype was you had to read all their output.

They mirrored that with their movies. And it worked - possibly because they spent 3-4 decades establishing a brand of intertwined properties.

DC is not that, and never has been. They have distinct fiefdoms that are not intersected by concept or setting. WB's long-held view has been that DC is basically Superman, Batman and a lot of less bankable properties. And I think that's historically correct. Copying Marvel's approach likely wouldn't work, at least up to this point.
    ...when did the bolded part happen? Don't think the solo Avengers ever outsold the likes of Batman and Superman back in the day, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, DC didn't really have to follow the MCU route when the Big 2 were already established on the big screen. At the most, maybe Aquaman and a Flash solo movie should have come out before Justice League, but structurally the DCEU was fine. Which is the reason all the movies opened above 100M+ at the box office before JL.

The content of many of the individual movies though? That's a separate conversation altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    ...when did the bolded part happen? Don't think the solo Avengers ever outsold the likes of Batman and Superman back in the day, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, DC didn't really have to follow the MCU route when the Big 2 were already established on the big screen. At the most, maybe Aquaman and a Flash solo movie should have come out before Justice League, but structurally the DCEU was fine. Which is the reason all the movies opened above 100M+ at the box office before JL.

The content of many of the individual movies though? That's a separate conversation altogether.
    Superman I doubt but in the 60's there was a period where Batman was on the verge of cancellation so in their early hay day before the Adam West Batman Show helped revitalized the brand I could see Avengers outselling him.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Not to harp on old info again, but this was never intended to be an MCU-like universe. Snyder himself has confirmed this. He had a 5-film plan with room for some spinoffs, but that's it. There was no "rushing to catch up". The info is out there, people just need to read it.

https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-d...cu-comparison/

Man of Steel finished shooting in August 2011; the MCU was still in Phase 1 at that point, there was nothing to "copy" because nobody at that time knew how big the MCU would get. Even when BvS started shooting in 2013-2014, there wasn't much to "copy".
    I agree Snyder didn't want a universe like that, but I think it's pretty obvious at a point after Man of Steel that Warner Brothers wanted a shared cinematic universe like the MCU.

Which is why as much as I don't like Snyder's DC films one bit, I don't blame him for everything that happened.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Given the subject material, one can only presume Joker will be a dark movie. Birds of Prey is said to be dark, gritty and violent. Have we any word of tone on Wonder Woman 1984 or any subsequent movies? I'm hoping for something uplifting and hopeful and purely good-guys-win, though treated a bit more seriously than Shazam! Alas, last time I heard anything about the Flash movie it was about aiming for a darker storyline. Can't think of any other movies I've heard anything about.
    BoP is said to be violent and bloody, but not dark and gritty. Margot herself said that this is not a serious movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    BoP is said to be violent and bloody, but not dark and gritty. Margot herself said that this is not a serious movie.
    Okay. Still not my taste, then. But I swear, I actually saw the words "dark" and "gritty" just recently as a descriptor. So someone said it, even if it was wrong (wegotthiscovered, maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really hope DC does a better job with its advertising campaigns, with Shazam they put in the bare minimum of effort.
    Shazam wasn't produced by WB proper but New Line Cinema, their smaller subsidiary studio.

Retired

Of course, New Line was around for a long time (almost thirty years) before merging with Time-Warner in 1996. Their first films were arthouse types, but they broke through commercially with A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET in 1984. Many other hit movies have followed, like DUMB AND DUMBER, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, AUSTIN POWERS, RUSH HOUR, THE MASK, STRAIGHT OUTA COMPTON, WEDDING CRASHERS and THE LORD OF THE RINGS.