Page 204 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1041541942002012022032042052062072082142543047041204 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 20948
    Extraordinary Member

Here some other views.
    Why Did Shazam Open So Low At The Box Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLG7C8Lv1o

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Here some other views.
    Why Did Shazam Open So Low At The Box Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLG7C8Lv1o
    honestly i expected this, Shazam is not that popular and reviews dont mean much, aquaman was supposed to be a half failure according to reviews.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

‘Shazam!’ Writer Henry Gayden Will Return to Write Sequel (Exclusive): https://www.thewrap.com/henry-gayden-shazam-sequel/

Financially, Shazam isn't a failure because it had a relatively low budget compared to other comic book films. It has a far lower threshold to cross before it makes back its costs. With that being said, I think people were hoping (perhaps unrealistically) that it would earn a lot more than $53M in its opening weekend.

I don't think it did for a combination of reasons. First, as many people mentioned, being sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame didn't help it. Second, the DCEU still isn't a guaranteed blockbuster brand (like Marvel). Some audience members are still going to be wary before buying a ticket. That means Aquaman's success didn't really help much with Shazam. This may also be due to the WB's reversal on focusing on a deeply connected universe. Third, Shazam was marketed as a goofy, all-ages film. I feel like the marketing appealed more to children than adults looking for an exciting, escapist thriller. (On a related note, based on the target audience, I was surprised at the amount of cursing in the film and there were a couple moments that I thought were too graphic for children.)

Anyway, I did enjoy the film. While not as visually exciting as Aquaman, I thought Shazam was better written, and the characters were much more developed.

Retired

It's actually the first DC super-hero movie from New Line, so there's that. Maybe it helps to think of it as like a Fox film rather than a Disney film.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Anyway, I did enjoy the film. While not as visually exciting as Aquaman, I thought Shazam was better written, and the characters were much more developed.
    it was easier for the characters of Shazam to be more developed compared to Aquaman, they aren't that complexed as with Aquaman. Arthur Curry alone needs an entire movie to give him depth, being a tormented soul he is, Same for Orm...

As to the fact that it maybe better written, because once again it is less complex, in Aquaman you have to keep a balance between the different elements that compose the story. Atlantis, the 7 kingdoms, the relics, etc Besides the characters are all very strong, it takes much effort not to make for example Mera outshine Arthur, which at times occurs even in the comics. Aquaman is a hard task to keep a balance and focus, taking in consideration sibling rivalry, ambition, underwater kingdoms, Romance between tom/Atlanna & Arthur/Mera, all important elements in the Aquaman mythos, while shazam is much pretty easier in this regard.
    Aquaman as it resulted was a miracle that they managed to glue all together, they even took shortcuts to accomplish this, we know that Aquaman and Mera story has very different beginnings, the movie couldn't even consider that origin story.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ‘Shazam!’ Writer Henry Gayden Will Return to Write Sequel (Exclusive): https://www.thewrap.com/henry-gayden-shazam-sequel/
    That's just public postering to help the 2nd weekend box office totals. Seriously doubt a decision on a sequel has been made considering how long WB is to green light those things with DC. Took Aquaman almost a month and half after opening for that.

Retired

Not to trigger anyone, but I felt that SHAZAM! was a lot like SUPERMAN RETURNS. And they both got about the same amount for their opening weekend--it's just that SR was saddled with a heavy production budget (although, how much of that was money put into the film itself and how much was creative accounting for all the other false starts, I don't know).

Both movies feel slow in places and like scenes were allowed to play out longer than they needed (in the case of SR, I didn't mind this but I was still aware of it and it's probably something that bugged a lot of people). Both have mixed messages about families, both have a bald villain who seems overly cruel without much depth, both feature a TV actor in the lead role, both have a gee-whiz boy scout informed by dark pessimism.

If I went back to watch SR now, I probably wouldn't feel as good about it, because of Singer and Spacey. On the other hand, I might feel better about it because of Brandon Routh, who I've grown to appreciate even more thanks to LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, where he seems like a kid in a grown man's body.

I don't believe that the Warner execs will dump SHAZAM! the way that they dumped SUPERMAN RETURNS, after a modest return at the box office. It really depends on the behind the scenes interests involved. I think having the Rock as a producing partner will help SHAZAM! in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    That's just public postering to help the 2nd weekend box office totals. Seriously doubt a decision on a sequel has been made considering how long WB is to green light those things with DC. Took Aquaman almost a month and half after opening for that.
    I could buy them fast-tracking a sequel if only because of how reliant on the age of the cast this movie is, so if this is going to be a franchise they need to strike while the iron is hot and the actor for Billy is still believably young enough.

Retired

They'll probably do that de-aging thing for Asher Angel and Jack Dylan Grazer

BANNED

Imagine using Grace Randolph of all people (a clueless, clickbaiting knownothing) as your go to box office "expert" in arguing why Shazam! is such a failure, LMAO. Still concern troll central around here, I see.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I have to say I'd LOVE to see Elba as Bronze Tiger (who was something missing from the first SUCIDE SQUAD film which I didn't hate but lets not go there)
    I would like to see Elba as Bronze Tiger as well.

Elba has a background in kickboxing so that could come in handy.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could buy them fast-tracking a sequel if only because of how reliant on the age of the cast this movie is, so if this is going to be a franchise they need to strike while the iron is hot and the actor for Billy is still believably young enough.
    Think it also depends on what WB expected Shazam to do since it was placed smack dab in the middle of Endgame and CM. If it’s doing as good or better than expected, I can see them open to fast-tracking a sequel that’s better placed. Though I think the success of Black Adam’s solo is the one that determine how soon we see Shazam! 2

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From James Gunn IG story:

https://www.instagram.com/jamesgunn/