Page 103 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 35393991001011021031041051061071131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Haha wow I really hope people are reminding these writers of their incredibly inaccurate predictions.
    More like their desperate attempts at clickbaiting.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm not referring to money, I don't get any of it so it doesn't concern me. I mean fail in terms of the craft of filmmaking and reaction to the movies. So I would say 3 movies instead of 2.
    Understood, but the writers quoted were stating Aquaman would flop financially, not that it would only be critiqued negatively. If they were relying on the DCEU's past box office results, the financial forecast shouldn't have been really negative.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    But every DCEU film except Justice League has been incredibly successful financially, and I think even JL managed to break even.

I don't see where the "it could be the worst yet" predictions were coming from, as James Wan as a director has a better track record than Zack Snyder and David Ayer. Not to mention Aquaman like Wonder Woman had a relatively simple solo hero origin story to tell unlike the convoluted scripts of Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Justice League that had to introduce multiple heroes or anti-heroes.
    I agree. It was obvious Aquaman was going to be more on the lines of traditional CB films and without, fairly or unfairly, the baggage Snyder carries.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post

I wonder how these folks feel now.
    If those are the same bozos who were screaming Black Panther would tank so bad that Disney would shut down the comics and movie departments like a bitter black guy of a certain group did.

All they will do is spin it to bash another movie. In this case it would be Shazam that will get attacked since Carol Danvers is not a DC property. She got enough folks hoping she fails.

With the DCEU's track record, it's not surprising to think it would fail.
    What DC movie has flopped? Under performed? That is another story. Aquaman was NEVER going to flop as a movie. He got too many non comic book reading fans out there.

Haha wow I really hope people are reminding these writers of their incredibly inaccurate predictions.
    When you got folks with AGENDAS you can't tell them anything.

They think only certain heroes are ENTITLED to have films or shows. If it's not Batman, Superman, Logan or Peter Parker-they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If those are the same bozos who were screaming Black Panther would tank so bad that Disney would shut down the comics and movie departments like a bitter black guy of a certain group did.
    Heh. That one is still hard to comprehend.

They think only certain heroes are ENTITLED to have films or shows. If it's not Batman, Superman, Logan or Peter Parker-they don't care.
    I don't have a big problem with people who state their agenda out in the open. It's the people who try to hide them whom I don't have much use for.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

What DC movie has flopped? Under performed? That is another story. Aquaman was NEVER going to flop as a movie. He got too many non comic book reading fans out there.
    I'm really not so sure of that.

If we ended up with a different movie that didn't get such great word of mouth as a fun crowd pleaser, especially coming off of JL, of course it could have flopped. Imagine if it got the same RT score as that, BvS or SS, attached to Aquaman, up until now the biggest laughing stock mainstream superhero.

Thankfully that's not the movie we got and it did extremely well. But the DCEU has proven it can make money in spite of a critical lashing due to its characters, but that was only going to last so long and the brand could not afford to do it that way forever.

That's really no different than people who say characters like that should no longer be given movies since they either had too many of them, or because they all seem to have something in common. Seems like everyone has agendas and sadly always will.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-13-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's really no different than people who say characters like that should no longer be given movies since they either had too many of them, or because they all seem to have something in common. Seems like everyone has agendas and sadly always will.
    Agreed, and it's not like all of those movies are embraced by all of the fanbase to begin with. If nobody wants to watch them, they might as well not be counted.

Retired

With the success of WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN and assuming that SHAZAM! does well, is there a movie these three could appear in, that is not Justice League or Super Friends (although a Super Friends movie would be cool)? What about NEW GODS? As they all having connections to old gods, could Diana, Arthur and Billy play a part in a Fourth World movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    With the success of WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN and assuming that SHAZAM! does well, is there a movie these three could appear in, that is not Justice League or Super Friends (although a Super Friends movie would be cool)? What about NEW GODS? As they all having connections to old gods, could Diana, Arthur and Billy play a part in a Fourth World movie?
    No. The DC Films are moving away from that sort of thing and that’s fine in my book. Doing the 4th World is hard enough without also trying to add in WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No. The DC Films are moving away from that sort of thing and that’s fine in my book. Doing the 4th World is hard enough without also trying to add in WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.
    Never say never, but DC/WB need to focus on strengthening the individual properties. They have a start with WW and Aquaman but still have a long ways to go before they should even THINK about a large-scale cross-over.

Prerequisite "The Ride Ain't Over Yet" .

We had the same problem with Wonder Woman too, people that claimed they had inside information that the movie was bad. I think that behaviour was more egregious too because of how universally acclaimed that film was, giving the impression that they were simply lying.

This is, at a minimum what people cite as anti-DC bias in the media.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Take away those 3 Snyder films and DC is crushing it with those other IPs. Get a proper director and Superman is passing a billion. I hope Cavill gets another shot to show what he can do without Snyder.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Why people always think you can just transfer the millions who go to see movies or tv shows into a comic book audience monthly is annoying. I'm guilty of it from time to time but any prolonged thought on the matter would show why DC does the things its been doing.
    Every time there's a big movie the fans say that the interest is there and that all these new eyes are going to swarm the lcs and buy up everything with that heroes face on it.

The reality
    The market does not change
    The only explosion you see is maybe 10-20k more readers gain an interest in Supergirl or Flash
    In that already small market its a big jump but that's barely a percent of the millions who went to see the movies or watch the TV shows

So realistically who is DC "Comics" going to be able to entice? You can market all the comics during a TV show or before a movie you want but its not going to reach into another market

For that matter its why I feel movie synergy is a pointless if not silly endeavor designed to trick people more than get them into something
    It may not transfer in a huge increase in sales, but those characters with hit movies definitely benefit in the comics. Look how many Guardians of the Galaxy stories there have been out since their movies. In marvel events, they take part in those. Without the movie, a fan could only be hopefull of for a short lived series every couple of years or so. With the hit of the Avengers, marvel has shifted their main focus from the x-men to the avengers. Aquaman can only benefit as he'll be guaranteed a series, with now possible Aqua characters getting their own series, and he'll no longer be used as just the guy standing in the back of justice league team poses.

I think you can only deal with Atlantean politics for so long. I'm personally tired of "heavy is the head that wears the crown" Aquaman stories. Perhaps Deconnick just wanted to write an adventure story. If so, that's no indication that they're trying to purposely avoid the themes of the Aquaman movie.
    I strongly disagree. The trials of the crown and the world of Atlantis is what sets him apart. Take that away and he's just like every other super hero.