Page 199 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 991491891951961971981992002012022032092492996991199 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 20948
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    How is it crazy though, Shazam doesn't have an Aquaman budget, so what does it matter if it makes less money. Did people expect this to make Wonder Woman numbers?
    Depends on what side of the boat you are on-the group who thought this movie would destroy Carol's numbers.

The boat that expect low numbers to begin with. 90 million budget for a guy who has not had his own show in 40+ years. Making above $250 million would be acceptable.

Lets look at April- Final 4, ending of the NBA & NHL regular season, baseball starting up and Easter HOLIDAY WEEKEND (my school district is letting us have a 4 day holiday). In other words you are going to have folks out and many looking to see a movie.

I think what will hurt Shazam is how well US is doing. A movie that made it's budget back opening weekend and is still moving up.

Other wise where else would you put the movie? Not December with some film called Star Wars. June? Toy Story & Secret Lives of Pets say HI.

May? Pokemon and live action Disney trainwrecks say hi too. August? Dora say HI.November? Sonic the Hedgehog.

There are too many movies coming out that while they won't sniff a billion-they would chew up Shazam and spit him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Oversea box office projections for Shazam! are looking bleak. Its having the worst opening for a cbm in south korea, germany, france italy and its underperforming in the uk. Bombing hard.

Domestic box office projections are better. Looking like a $55 million opening weekend. Don't know why they sandwiched it between Captain Marvel and Endgame. This movie will be lucky to hit $500 million worldwide.
    Be kind of weird to have a DC movie that's very well-received critically but still end up not doing all that great at the box office .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Be kind of weird to have a DC movie that's very well-received critically but still end up not doing all that great at the box office .
    Superman Returns was kinda that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Superman Returns was kinda that.
    I don't remember Returns being as praised as Shazam seems to be.

At best people thought it was "okay" to "solid," but I may not be remembering well (and this could all be after the fact opinions).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    June? Toy Story & Secret Lives of Pets say HI.

May? Pokemon and live action Disney trainwrecks say hi too. August? Dora say HI.November? Sonic the Hedgehog.
    I don't know why Dark Phoenix is going up against Pets 2. Is there any interest in this movie beyond a few devoted fans on the internet? Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Shazam looks like so much fun. I hate for it not to even crack 600M WW. Might be my favorite DCEU movie when I watch it.

I wonder if it would have done better opening in February. All the big movies that opened were sort of underwhelming, especially Battle Alita. Maybe WB should have just rolled the dice and moved it to President's day long weekend. Even October might have been better. A one-two punch with the Joker.

Well if Shazam does indeed under perform or even bomb there’s no chance of a sequel. Hope it doesn’t effect plans for the Black Adam movie.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it has something to do with SHAZAM being unexplored territory when it comes to superhero films, a kid who can transform into an adult, as well as being stuck between Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame. When Spider Man Into The Spider Verse came out despite its reception I read some people didn’t have any interest in seeing it because it was animated as well as it being unexplored territory for a Marvel or DC film. Spider Verse had a 90 Million budget like Shazam and closed with almost 400 Million, which was not bad considering that Sony’s developing sequels and a spin off. Captain Marvel took a month to pass a billion and Endgame is looking to do that in two weeks by the time Shazam finishes I’d guess between 400 or 500 Million at least. I think if it gets in that range it would make enough to warrant a sequel.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well if Shazam does indeed under perform or even bomb there’s no chance of a sequel. Hope it doesn’t effect plans for the Black Adam movie.
    I think Black Adam was always going to get made because it’s the Rock, if it was somebody else it wouldn’t be at the top of the list of characters to get a film. I think WB wanted to see how Shazam would do in order to get a thought of the reaction to Black Adam since they’re connected to each other and share similar abilities. If Shazam doesn’t do good they’re still going go for Black Adam just with a different marketing strategy as well as capitalizing off the Rocks popularity.

Its doing fine, in fact its over performing.

Why is it every new DCEU film has people calling it a flop? Even if the film makes 500 mill, on a 80 mill budget that's at a minimum 300+ mill profit. Its crazy, you had people here making the same claims about Aquaman too. Godzilla (2014) had a budget of 160 mill and made only 530 mill and its getting a sequal this year!
    Last edited by Pinsir; 04-04-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Shazam is an unknown, unproven character to the GA. It doesn't have any star power nor is DC considered a strong enough brand comparable to Marvel, yet (Thanks Snyder/Kevin/WB). Those numbers are to be expected.
    Which is funny since Captain Marvel kicked off the initial serial (live-action) boom.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its doing fine, in fact its over performing.

Why is it every new DCEU film has people calling it a flop? Even if the film makes 500 mill, on a 80 mill budget that's at a minimum 300+ mill profit. Its crazy, you had people here making the same claims about Aquaman too. Godzilla (2014) had a budget of 160 mill and made only 530 mill and its getting a sequal this year!
    I hope you’re right. WB is so reactionary I would hate to think what they would do if it underperformed.

Spectacular Member

I doubt WB are going to throw away a creative team that can produce critically acclaimed work on the cheap. I'm sure Shazam will do well on DVD and streaming, a sequel with a better release date and The Rock could do good money.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I hear you, but terribly bad optics during this period of CBM's.

Has a Marvel movie ever failed to crack $400 worldwide? What did Ant-Man do?
    Not really. WB has finally realized that they'll never know the success of the MCU until they do what the MCU did: build their world and their characters.

Right now, WB shouldn't be expecting billion-dollar box offices until they're producing movies with some weight behind them. Wonder Woman 1984 should make a billion simply because the first movie came within striking distance of that. Aquaman DID manage to make a billion in his first outing, so Aquaman 2 should make as much or more.

A completely new character, being introduced for the first time, shouldn't be expected to hyper-perform right out of the gate. Iron Man didn't. Captain America didn't. Thor didn't. WB can't expect to perform at Marvel's level until they work their way up to it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Retired

As much as they might say they're going to do unconnected movies, I think WB can't look at all the money Marvel makes and not want to duplicate that success. I haven't seen CAPTAIN MARVEL--but from all reports, it's a meh movie, and it's one of those building block movies that's building toward something bigger--in the past that kind of movie would have made 600 million in its entire run and been happy to do so. But it's already made over a billion dollars and that seems to be because it's a Marvel movie (says so in its title) and it's part of the developing larger Marvel story. WB wants that kind of success and they're going to keep trying until they get it.

Just saw Shazam not as good as I thought it would be
    A nice movie but it's missing something that would make it a true DCU film
    Nice to see the Shazam family at the end and the after credits scene but bring on black Adam if this is how they do the superhero version of BIG