Page 164 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 641141541601611621631641651661671681742142646641164 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yes exactly. I pretty much agree with all you said. I have problems seeing Depp as a victim, especially with his whole backstory of self-destruction. I don't hate him or Heard at all, I'm just an Aquaman fan! I'm pretty neutral to the whole situation and I have noticed that Depp's hardcore fans are so vicious is scary. One of them follows me on twitter, and before the movie she tried to convinced me about how terrible a person Amber was... I told her I didn't want to know anything about it. I had to be a bit rude. She left me alone.

Exactly. Mera had to act like royalty not like an Aquaman fangirl desperate for love. At the same time, she was sensitive enough and realized what a cool guy Arthur was. Both did. She was much like Gal in Wonder Woman. Strong and independent but able to recognize the qualities of their men.
    They are vicious and fanatics, they are like some kind of sect, some sort of Charles Manson family type. They have been at this for a long time even before the filming began. They can't understand that people don't care what happened between Heard and Depp, that is none of our business. They have been calling to boycott Aquaman movie for months. Never seen anything like that.

It could be possible that he is a victim, but he has brought on himself, it is clear that he is on a self destructive mode.Months ago he started a lawsuit with his former managers only to back out.

It is also very strange that he has brought this lawsuit now? why didn't he do it before? he could have saved himself lots of trouble and roles!!!!
    I repeat Depp is to blame himself, after all he walked out on his partner of 20years and on his kids for a 20year unknown bisexual actress. Now He is hell bent to destroy her, it is going to get dirtier.

This is true, Mera pushes Arthur out of his comfort zone in the movie. I would expect a bit more romance in the sequel, however.
    I'm worried that we will not see this, probably if they had any plans about this, it must have stalled now following this depp/heard thing. They probably have doubts if to confirm Heard or recast the role. Or if to have Mera in the movie, which would be foolish not to.
    Whatever Depp fans say Heard and Momoa had a good chemistry and they enjoyed working together. To start all over is not easy even if a new actress is to take the role, there are many factors to take into consideration. Heard made a credible Mera, comparisons will arise with her and any new actress. Doubts will remain whatever the outcome. With Heard not being cast for the role after all this, it will also put the other cast members in an awkward situation.
    It is a no win situation.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 03-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    I'm worried that we will not see this, probably if they had any plans about this, it must have stalled now following this depp/heard thing. They probably have doubts if to confirm Heard or recast the role. Or if to have Mera in the movie, which would be foolish not to.
    Whatever Depp fans say Heard and Momoa had a good chemistry and they enjoyed working together. To start all over is not easy even if a new actress is to take the role, there are many factors to take into consideration. Heard made a credible Mera, comparisons will arise with her and any new actress. Doubts will remain whatever the outcome. With Heard not being cast for the role after all this, it will also put the other cast members in an awkward situation.
    It is a no win situation.
    Time will tell, though. Maybe Momoa is on her side. I don't expect WB to make a decision yet. They need to gather the evidence and see if it's best to recast for the benefit of the franchise.

The only way that I think WB will let go of Amber Heard as Mera over this is if she actually gets convicted for assaulting Johnny Depp, and possibly not even then. This lawsuit and its allegations are rather clearly the result of a very messy divorce, and given the climate after #MeToo, it has become so much harder to accuse a woman of being unstable or dangerous in public, without the message being closely scrutinised. Given the public positions of Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot, WB knows that if they let Amber Heard go without really good cause they are in for a world of hurt: much worse than what Disney suffered over James Gunn.

Meanwhile, the army of witnesses all beholden to Depp in some way reminds me of the old Norse way of establishing justice, where the two sides each would bring up their sworn witnesses saying that X or Y is a good man with truth on his side. In the end, you could end up with 144 sworn witnesses on each side, and then the only choice would be to settle it through a duel.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The only way that I think WB will let go of Amber Heard as Mera over this is if she actually gets convicted for assaulting Johnny Depp, and possibly not even then. This lawsuit and its allegations are rather clearly the result of a very messy divorce, and given the climate after #MeToo, it has become so much harder to accuse a woman of being unstable or dangerous in public, without the message being closely scrutinised. Given the public positions of Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot, WB knows that if they let Amber Heard go without really good cause they are in for a world of hurt: much worse than what Disney suffered over James Gunn.

Meanwhile, the army of witnesses all beholden to Depp in some way reminds me of the old Norse way of establishing justice, where the two sides each would bring up their sworn witnesses saying that X or Y is a good man with truth on his side. In the end, you could end up with 144 sworn witnesses on each side, and then the only choice would be to settle it through a duel.
    From what I am reading the lawsuit is about defamation, Depp is not claiming assault, even the finger cut he claims he suffered is dubious, as he writes with that same finger in his own blood and ink on a mirror insults directed at her. I agree that it is the result of a messy divorce. However Depp has more money and she will have problems with fighting someone who has such money. Ok she is not destitute but can't compete with him at that level.
    Honestly an unknown quantity as Heard at the time is difficult to imagine as creating an elaborate hoax as claimed, I believed she has exaggerated things but also Depp has a history!!
    Depp is not after the 50 million which she clearly doesn't have, he wants to destroy her and is using all his power to do this.

As for WB they are certainly in unenviable situation, if they let go Heard and she is proven innocent she can sue them(and Depp) besides they get negative publicity of turning their backs on an abused woman. If they keep her and she is guilty it will also generate bad publicity. At first I could not believe it was possible but seeing the possible scenarios their way out, is Mera not being included in the movie. It provides the perfect excuse which I hope they don't go for. As I wrote before Mera is a fundamental part of the Aquaman franchise.
    Whatever, this is going to be dirty, at the end what interests me/us is that Aquaman does not get caught into the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Regardless, I feel Heard just brings such unnecssary negative publicity that it would be optimal to recast the role.
    I don't think WB is to concerned about negative publicity, with Gunn and Depp and Leto and Affleck on the payroll.

Mighty Member

Another screening tonight. All positive reactions thus far. This will do extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I don't think WB is to concerned about negative publicity, with Gunn and Depp and Leto and Affleck on the payroll.
    Affleck has left and last I checked, Leto isn't making any more DC movies with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Affleck is out. Gunn’s tweets were decades old and he repeatedly apologized for them. Leto isn’t slated to make any more appearances and I would not be surprised if the Joker role gets recast. Fair enough about Depp though. I doubt they’ll recast the role myself.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

For me the weak link was the actor playing Manta. Maybe it was the direction or lack of screen time, but he was so over the top actingwise. I totally understand his anger, but he was so angry all the time lol. I agree that Amber was pretty awesome as Mera. She owned that role.

oh but there was much more, AQUAMAN SPOILERS

She actually returned to her husband after so many years like she promised him. He was in her heart all the time. And Thomas, he wasn't in the movie much, but everything about him was quality because thanks to his good heart (there is a reason why Atlanna fell in love with him), Arthur grew up to be a good man. Not perfect and a very confused guy about why his mother couldn't see him, and also blaming himself for her death. There is some subtext in this movie.

I feel like you saw a different movie than me. This movie has a lot of heart, and every time Atlanna was on the screen, I had teary eyes. She was that awesome. Also, Orm is a great villain. It was Atlanna who said that the underwater and the surface worlds were really just one world.

Attachment 79659
    There are things that you're supposed to draw out of a movie, and things that you still have to show. There just wasn't enough; if you have to infer the characters' motivations to such an extent, then you can't really credit the movie for doing so. Aquaman growing up to be a good guy means we can infer his dad is a good guy, but it doesn't feel like we know much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Affleck is out. Gunn’s tweets were decades old and he repeatedly apologized for them. Leto isn’t slated to make any more appearances and I would not be surprised if the Joker role gets recast. Fair enough about Depp though. I doubt they’ll recast the role myself.
    If they're re-casting Batman, it stands to reason they'll probably re-cast Joker at some point.

I'm not expecting Leto to pop up at all in the "Harley Quinn trilogy" myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Affleck has left and last I checked, Leto isn't making any more DC movies with them.
    Note that there are clear and valid reasons for moving on from both of them: the films that Affleck was part of were not well received, and Leto was apparently a pain to work with on set. Neither of those are remotely true for Heard.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    There are things that you're supposed to draw out of a movie, and things that you still have to show. There just wasn't enough; if you have to infer the characters' motivations to such an extent, then you can't really credit the movie for doing so. Aquaman growing up to be a good guy means we can infer his dad is a good guy, but it doesn't feel like we know much about him.
    But it was shown. His parents LOVED him since before he was even born. AQUAMAN SPOILERS

We see an image of Tom and Atlanna in bed caressing each other...

Thomas even told Arthur how much his mother loved him. Sorry it wasn' t enough shown to you, but for me it was plenty to know why Arthur would be a good kid and man. He visits his father and they have a great time together. He tells his mother how his father every day goes to the beach to find her there. This movie has so much love. And I don't remember other DC movies showing more in a similar situation with the parents and the children. Not Wonder Woman, not Superman or Batman. We also SEE Arthur saving lives earlier in the movie.

Last edited by stargazer01; 03-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    there you go again, this is another distortion of truth Depp fans having been saying about Momoa and Heard having no chemistry, as matter of fact it seems they had both on and off the set, with Momoa himself posting on various occasions pics of both them having a great time off set. Not least one praising her.

Attachment 79662
    Really, who could Jason Mamoa *not* get along with? I mean, the guy has enough chemistry for a whole generation of actors! Dude is the Dragon Reborn; he breaks all bonds and oaths. I'm straight as hell and even I'd let him get me drunk and take advantage of me! (this isn't a comment on his dynamic with Heard, I still haven't seen the movie so I have no idea if they do or not).

As for Heard and Depp.....I dont give a damn. If he's guilty I hope he gets put on trial and punished accordingly. If she's guilty, I hope the same for her. But beyond wanting to see justice for whoever was wronged (both, neither, either, whatever) I dont give a sh*t about them or their lives. And I'll judge their work on the merits of the work itself, not their personal stuff. I wouldnt want someone judging my job by what I do at home, and I try to do the same for others.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-14-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

But it was shown. His parents LOVED him since before he was even born. AQUAMAN SPOILERS

We see an image of Tom and Atlanna in bed caressing each other...

Thomas even told Arthur how much his mother loved him. Sorry it wasn' t enough shown to you, but for me it was plenty to know why Arthur would be a good kid and man. He visits his father and they have a great time together. He tells his mother how his father every day goes to the beach to find her there. This movie has so much love. And I don't remember other DC movies showing more in a similar situation with the parents and the children. Not Wonder Woman, not Superman or Batman. We also SEE Arthur saving lives earlier in the movie.

There's a lot of telling and not showing. Like I said, I thought their romance was nice, but as characters we didn't get to know them a lot. His father's influence has to be inferred heavily.

And Superman and Wonder Woman were definitely shown to have strong moments with their parents. Much stronger ones than anything shown in Aquaman.