Page 184 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 841341741801811821831841851861871881942342846841184 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 20948
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That Zach Snyder's interpretation of the character is the closest adaptation of Siegel and Schuster original vision and MoS and BvS are outstanding films in their own regard.
    That doesn't make then ignorant imo. Superman hasn't been written like that for nearly a century. Not to mention it ain't his most popular version.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really see Cavill as New 52 Supes but admittedly the writing for his Superman was all over the place that it's hard for me to gauge what his Superman should've been like other then being better then what he was given to work with.
    Cavill’s Superman is a mix of Post Crisis and Earth One Superman, not New 52.

That Zach Snyder's interpretation of the character is the closest adaptation of Siegel and Schuster original vision and MoS and BvS are outstanding films in their own regard.
    No way. Siegel and Shuster’s Superman was the exact opposite of Cavill. GA Superman was passionate, confident, incorruptible and valued Superman above Clark Kent. If Lois died that guy wouldn’t have been corrupted no matter how she died. Snyder’s Supes was far too whiny, self-doubting, and reliant on Lois for emotional support to be GA Supes.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-25-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cavill’s Superman is a mix of Post Crisis and Earth One Superman, not New 52.
    Yeah, I can see that.

Don't insult Siegel and Schuster like that.

I just had dinner with my family and when I told them about Shazam getting fantastic reviews they said things like, "Well they should have done bright movies from the start!" and "They shouldn't have Superman breaking peoples necks!" How can people be so ignorant!?
    I recently saw someone make the argument that a lot of how people's perceptions shape the way they engage with movies comes from how they felt leaving the theater. If they left the theater feeling happy and energized, it's far more likely they'll be willing to say the movie was good, and vice versa.

I felt Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman both had way bigger problems than the bleak tone, and I think all Shazam getting rave reviews tells me is that Shazam was better made. But, for your average film goer, I can totally see how an upbeat, optimistic superhero romp is preferable to what Snyder was going for with Superman. The person I mentioned in the initial comment went so far as to suggest had Man of Steel ended with a less destructive final battle where Superman saved Metropolis and exiled Zod back into the Phantom Zone instead of brutally executing him, people would have been far more forgiving and the movie would be held in much higher esteem. Obviously, we'll never know if that's true or not, but it does definitely look like with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam, people are leaning in the more positive direction than the bleak, deconstructionist one (even though Wonder Woman had some quite dark moments as well).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    But, for your average film goer, I can totally see how an upbeat, optimistic superhero romp is preferable to what Snyder was going for with Superman.
    That kind of tone earns a much more forgiving treatment from general audiences. If it's supposed to make you laugh, then the seriousness is lessened, and the expectation for fresh story or strongly developed character are lesser.

But it's an interesting point you make about the feeling leaving the theater.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Snyder has split the fanbase of Superman and potentially now Batman. So much people are arguing whether they should be fine with killing or how their portrayal should be measured.

Ugh Snyder movies were a plague. They weren't worth all this trouble.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 03-26-2019 at 09:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Snyder has split the fanbase of Superman and potentially now Batman. So much people are arguing whether they should be fine with killing or how their portrayal should be measured.

Again, nobody really understands where he's coming from or what he even meant when he was talking about that ...for one, he was ASKED these questions at a convention Q&A, he wasn't TRYING to make headlines with his different views on Batman and Superman.

Batman killed because Snyder wanted a darker, NON heroic Batman. Snyder himself isn't fine with Batman killing people. When he said people were living in a dream world he meant accepting the very idea of Batman taking a life. Nobody should be okay with Batman killing people.

You guys wanna bash Snyder for dividing fanbases but in reality he's not doing that, you guys are, all you did was assume this dude would normally want Batman to be wielding guns and killing his enemies. That wasn't why he had it in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Where was it ever stated that Batman had been retired for decades??
    I don't know if he's been retired for 20 years. It think it's intimated that he's been Batman for 20 years. In any case, Alfred clearly notes that the harsh treatment (branding) of captured criminals is new, and people in Gotham noticed that Batman had gotten meaner.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

I'd take Snyder's movies 10 times vs whedon's abomination of Justice League and the future of everything having to be like Aquaman and failing

Most Batman fans are not anal about how he is depicted. Nobody cared that he killed in the Nolan movies, Nobody cared that he killed in the Burton movies and nobody cared that he killed in BvS. That's 2 trilogies worth of the character killing people and nobody gave Tim Burton or Nolan half has much crap as Snyder gets because "Its not like Mahvel" or whatever

Superman fans on the other hand yeah I think MOS is still argued about today because of how pressed some superman fans are

Any slight deviation from their vision of the character is a problem. Batman fans aren't divided about anything besides Snyder's Batman needlessly being too old to begin a cinematic universe.
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 03-26-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I'd take Snyder's movies 10 times vs whedon's abomination of Justice League and the future of everything having to be like Aquaman and failing
    I mean, I don't think the future is everything having to be like Aquaman at least in regards to a "formula" since Shazam looks to be it's own thing and Wonder Woman '84 likely being more in-line with the original as well.

I mean, personally, I'd love more Superhero movies with colorful and comic-accurate costumes, cool fights and visuals, and the hopeful and optimistic tone I more often then not expect from the DCU, but that's just me.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Lol Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't fail by any stretch of the imagination. And they weren't similar. Shazam is poised to do well, and isn't similar to Aquaman.

Spectacular Member

Most Batman fans are not anal about how he is depicted. Nobody cared that he killed in the Nolan movies, Nobody cared that he killed in the Burton movies and nobody cared that he killed in BvS. That's 2 trilogies worth of the character killing people and nobody gave Tim Burton or Nolan half has much crap as Snyder gets because "Its not like Mahvel" or whatever

Superman fans on the other hand yeah I think MOS is still argued about today because of how pressed some superman fans are

Any slight deviation from their vision of the character is a problem. Batman fans aren't divided about anything besides Snyder's Batman needlessly being too old to begin a cinematic universe.
    when did you start speaking for most batman fans?

There seems to be a misconception that Batman fans have never complained about Batman’s portrayal in film. They have. They complained about BurtonBats killing, NolanBats being a bit of a moron, and they certainly complained about AffleckBats. Did you forget how “Martha” blew up? DCEU Batman was provoking some VERY divisive arguments.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It is unfortunate that we're debating the same things years later. Some of us liked the Snyderverse, some of us hated it, some of us were in between. Many of us blame WB, but we all have to live with the aftermath. I didn't like Aquaman at all and Shazam looks too weightless for my tastes, but as a DC fan we have to take each movie on a case by case basis and hope for the best while an inept studio tries to repair the pieces. Let's try to look forward no?