Page 234 of 376 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 5633
  1. #3496
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Is there a reason why the WB never officially labeled the DC cinematic universe? From what I've read, "DC Extended Universe" was coined as a joke by an Entertainment Weekly writer and was never official or used internally, and "Worlds of DC" was just the name of their panel at SDCC last year and hasn't been seen since. I know they're currently apprehensive of creating a connected universe due to the collapse of Snyder's work, but even back then, I'm surprised they didn't make anything official for branding reasons.
    because they were never interested in a shared universe to begin with. labelling the universe gives people the idea that the stories are all connected, which they aren't, and it wasn't their intention. they wanted some movies connected to each other, sharing continuity, but not telling a story and not having one movie be required viewing for another. they're just DC movies, not "DC shared universe" movies. however fans and media labeled it the DCEU anyway, especially after BvS which seemed like it was trying to kickstart a shared universe (it wasn't, as we later discovered) , so there was no preventing it, people assumed it was a shared universe anyway (even after the countless times over the years that WB explicitly stated it wasn't their goal)
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  2. #3497
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    because they were never interested in a shared universe to begin with. labelling the universe gives people the idea that the stories are all connected, which they aren't, and it wasn't their intention. they wanted some movies connected to each other, sharing continuity, but not telling a story and not having one movie be required viewing for another. they're just DC movies, not "DC shared universe" movies. however fans and media labeled it the DCEU anyway, especially after BvS which seemed like it was trying to kickstart a shared universe (it wasn't, as we later discovered) , so there was no preventing it, people assumed it was a shared universe anyway (even after the countless times over the years that WB explicitly stated it wasn't their goal)
    I agree with this. They were simply trying to find storylines for characters to appear in the same movie. Snyder, at first, was given carte blanche for a multi-film story that would have all the JL characters find their way onto the screen. This story was really never meant to incorporate the likes of Suicide Squad, and I'm guessing Shazam, but rather let Snyder tell his connected arc. So unlike Marvel, it was never meant to be an ongoing story told by multiple directors. It was going to be streams of stories that would see character crossover, but limited by director.

  3. #3498
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    I think after Man of Steel (and Avengers), they seemed interested in a connected DC universe because they were making Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and I think Green Lantern Corps. I think they were announced, but after BvS underperformed and was critically trashed, things changed. The JL script was changed drastically and rushed to theaters. Meanwhile Wonder Woman was a big hit, and she became the face of the JL movie during promotion lol. It didn't help the movie enough. Last year we had Aquaman because it was already in production when JL came out and I think the suits trusted James Wan unlike Snyder. And that trust paid off big time. This year we had Shazam and that film is totally connected to the larger DCU. It will be interesting to see how WW84 turns out...

  4. #3499
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think after Man of Steel (and Avengers), they seemed interested in a connected DC universe because they were making Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and I think Green Lantern Corps. I think they were announced, but after BvS underperformed and was critically trashed, things changed. The JL script was changed drastically and rushed to theaters. Meanwhile Wonder Woman was a big hit, and she became the face of the JL movie during promotion lol. It didn't help the movie enough. Last year we had Aquaman because it was already in production when JL came out and I think the suits trusted James Wan unlike Snyder. And that trust paid off big time. This year we had Shazam and that film is totally connected to the larger DCU. It will be interesting to see how WW84 turns out...
    This is just speculation though, whereas Roven, Nelson, Hamada, Johns, etc, before and after BvS came out flat out confirming they were not interested in shared universe movies, even though they were pushing for solo film franchises featuring the Justice League characters. Again, they would share continuity, but not be a shared universe telling a single story.

    This is just more of the same anti DC rhetoric. "They wanted a shared universe like Marvel and they failed because their movies flopped, now they're changing it up" this is plainly and simply not true. the evidence is there all the way from Man of Steel to back that up. Yes, they did not reach the success they were most likely striving toward, but that doesn't mean their intention was to have a universe like Marvel's. It was always supposed to be filmmaker driven.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  5. #3500
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    This is just speculation though, whereas Roven, Nelson, Hamada, Johns, etc, before and after BvS came out flat out confirming they were not interested in shared universe movies, even though they were pushing for solo film franchises featuring the Justice League characters. Again, they would share continuity, but not be a shared universe telling a single story.

    This is just more of the same anti DC rhetoric. "They wanted a shared universe like Marvel and they failed because their movies flopped, now they're changing it up" this is plainly and simply not true. the evidence is there all the way from Man of Steel to back that up. Yes, they did not reach the success they were most likely striving toward, but that doesn't mean their intention was to have a universe like Marvel's. It was always supposed to be filmmaker driven.
    my argument is that those characters exist in the same universe. that implies that they could share some adventures just like Wonder Woman was in BvS. Never said it was the same continuing story like the mcu. I don't think that necessary to be an interesting DC universe. It doesn't have to be strongly connected as long as the movies don't contradict each other much. It still leaves room for team up adventures.

  6. #3501
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    my argument is that those characters exist in the same universe. that implies that they could share some adventures just like Wonder Woman was in BvS. Never said it was the same continuing story like the mcu. I don't think that necessary to be an interesting DC universe. It doesn't have to be strongly connected as long as the movies don't contradict each other much. It still leaves room for team up adventures.
    I agree with you partly but your assumptions about Wan and WB's responses to BvS's response seem very uninformed. Charles Roven said WB was proud of BvS's response and that weren't even close to worried. Aquaman is an extension of Snyder's vision, those are the words of Wan and Momoa. The only thing really hurting the DCEU were the critics and mass of blog sites endlessly trashing Snyder and the films, but the fanbase was always strong and the producers knew it. Krypto's Fleas summed it up best, but to you guys it doesn't sound interesting unless somebody got fired and the metaphorical "suits" were in panic mode. How about you guys cancel out everything you read from some speculative website and take it at as it is, the "fallout" of the DCEU was actually pretty amiable, and they were never interested in a shared universe, just making movies fans would enjoy. And as a fan, I loved them all
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  7. #3502
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I agree with you partly but your assumptions about Wan and WB's responses to BvS's response seem very uninformed. Charles Roven said WB was proud of BvS's response and that weren't even close to worried. Aquaman is an extension of Snyder's vision, those are the words of Wan and Momoa. The only thing really hurting the DCEU were the critics and mass of blog sites endlessly trashing Snyder and the films, but the fanbase was always strong and the producers knew it. Krypto's Fleas summed it up best, but to you guys it doesn't sound interesting unless somebody got fired and the metaphorical "suits" were in panic mode. How about you guys cancel out everything you read from some speculative website and take it at as it is, the "fallout" of the DCEU was actually pretty amiable, and they were never interested in a shared universe, just making movies fans would enjoy. And as a fan, I loved them all
    yeah sorry I don't agree that we can trust what Charles Roven says. He blatantly lied about JL saying they were respecting the Snyder's vision for the characters. It wasn't true, even you can see it. All the biggest DCEU fans on twitter have realized it too after they saw JL. It wasn't the exact same story Snyder wanted to tell. We was going for evil/injustice Superman after Lois died by Darkseid. WB saw the response to BvS and had the JL script changed to be lighter and more hopeful.. The BvS hate wasn't just blogger and fans, general audiences didn't love it. It under performed. It didn't have strong legs like Wonder Woman had and Aquaman overseas. JL opening weekend was much lesser than BvS... If general audiences were so captivated by Superman's death and BvS story overall, JL would have a much bigger opening weekend and it didn't. Sometimes we just have to accept the facts even if it hurts. I like JL btw. Not great but solid to me. I liked the characters a lot.

  8. #3503
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    yeah sorry I don't agree that we can trust what Charles Roven says. He blatantly lied about JL saying they were respecting the Snyder's vision for the characters. It wasn't true, even you can see it. All the biggest DCEU fans on twitter have realized it too after they saw JL. It wasn't the exact same story Snyder wanted to tell. We was going for evil/injustice Superman after Lois died by Darkseid. WB saw the response to BvS and had the JL script changed to be lighter and more hopeful.. The BvS hate wasn't just blogger and fans, general audiences didn't love it. It under performed. It didn't have strong legs like Wonder Woman had and Aquaman overseas. JL opening weekend was much lesser than BvS... If general audiences were so captivated by Superman's death and BvS story overall, JL would have a much bigger opening weekend and it didn't. Sometimes we just have to accept the facts even if it hurts. I like JL btw. Not great but solid to me. I liked the characters a lot.
    I really don't know what you're talking about, because neither I, nor anyone else watched a Justice League movie that was made by Snyder. You're also conflating some of the script changes with Justice League. Darkseid killing Lois and Superman going evil was in the very first draft and was never shot. A redux of that script, still featuring Darkseid but with more hope/optimism (as Snyder himself and many execs put it) , was shot all the way through. However, nobody has seen that movie, you haven't and neither have I, so I can't verify that Roven was lying. I believe the first movie they shot was true to Snyder's vision, and I think the only reason Roven even said they were respecting his vision was because they had just axed a major part of it. I never said general audiences were captivated by Superman's death and BvS story, wtf are you even talking about? Critics and blog sites strongly contributed to BvS' failures. the Anti DC rhetoric was strong back then. It was partly valid because they weren't really putting out good movies (Jonah Hex and Green Lantern to start) and the movies they were trying to launch weren't working, so it was natural that blogs and critics took off to claim their latest attempts at franchise building weren't working. However looking back now most of it was speculation.

    Every time I want to talk about stuff like this someone wants to bring up how a movie underperformed or "didn't have legs." who gives a fuck? I'm not a producer or an exec so you're talking to me in gibberish right now. I literally don't care. I offered my opinion on it which is that I think blogs and critics contributed, but it doesn't matter, we're talking about how WB wasn't interested in making shared universe movies. If you don't want to talk about that go talk to someone else. I've had this repeated convo about DC movies critical and box office responses so many times now that at this point it's clear that's all you guys have to offer in any conversation about the DCEU. it's lame, just stay on topic lol
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-08-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  9. #3504
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There are others that could do it and others have in the mcu already.
    Starlord in gotg 2 from what i heard was man of steel like(still have not seen gotg 2 yet).
    The russos have done it already but they never have done solo movies dealing with superman level powerset characters before.
    So far they have only done team movies with those type of characters.
    Star-Lord was only a one-time thing though. The closest they have to that is Vision and he gets nerfed or barely gets anything to do after Age of Ultron.

  10. #3505
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    my argument is that those characters exist in the same universe. that implies that they could share some adventures just like Wonder Woman was in BvS. Never said it was the same continuing story like the mcu. I don't think that necessary to be an interesting DC universe. It doesn't have to be strongly connected as long as the movies don't contradict each other much. It still leaves room for team up adventures.
    I agree with you. I just want to see some great team ups and interactions between heroes we never would have ever dreamed up of. Not sure why some posters are so 'hostile' about your posts.

  11. #3506
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    At this point, the Devil We Know has given us disappointment after disappointment and then blamed the character for their efforts.
    It wouldn't be guaranteed to be great, but sure, give it to Disney. They couldn't possibly do any worse.
    I mean, I'm all about anti-trust laws and don't like monopolies in the least so Disney buying Superman would keep me up at night with panic. The Mouse is too damn big already and that Fox deal never should've happened. Giving them Superman? F*ck, that's just going way too damn far.

    But at the same time I've spent two decades watching DC mismanage and screw up and disrespect Superman. So screw them. DC doesn't deserve the Man of Tomorrow. The comics might not be any better than what DC has given us but at least under Fiege he'd finally get a much-loved movie.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #3507
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I can’t even with this thread sometimes. I kinda feel sorry for the lot of you who have made your whole identities based around fictional characters owned by capitalist organizations. No one should get to that point.

  13. #3508
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I can’t even with this thread sometimes. I kinda feel sorry for the lot of you who have made your whole identities based around fictional characters owned by capitalist organizations. No one should get to that point.
    Our whole identities aren't based on this. But obviously when we talk about this stuff here we're going to be at least a little passionate. But we all have lives and loved ones outside of this we're not going to talk about on a comic book forum.

  14. #3509
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I can’t even with this thread sometimes. I kinda feel sorry for the lot of you who have made your whole identities based around fictional characters owned by capitalist organizations. No one should get to that point.
    Dude you're on a comic book forum.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  15. #3510
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Star-Lord was only a one-time thing though. The closest they have to that is Vision and he gets nerfed or barely gets anything to do after Age of Ultron.
    Thor in the thor the dark world movie battle scene at the end was alot like the end battle scene of man of steel battle too.
    I remember some folks complaining or talking about it when the movie came out.

    I remember saying at the time of course certain thor battles more then others would have that battle scene feel to it at the end of man of steel because thor's powerset is superman like and superman level anyway.
    Captain marvel in the mcu as well.

    Oh and i forgot about vision.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    His powerset is superman like.
    Of course mcu thor and mcu captain marvel are more powerful then mcu vision.
    Vision is coming to disney plus so he will get more focus there then on the big screen.

    Note-
    You could say hulk types,hercules types,luke cage,wonder woman,aquaman,namor types etc. basic powerset is superman like and they have varied power levels.
    Aquaman is sometimes called under water superman.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-09-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •