Page 271 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1712212612672682692702712722732742752813213717711271 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 20948
    Retired

As Sean Connery said, "Never say never again."

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Hate to say it but Supes just doesn't have the potential for wide appeal. Regardless of who they get, I don't think it is gonna make much of a difference I don't think we will ever see a Superman film hit 1bn ever.
    And Carol “5 relaunches in 4 years” Danvers is somehow an amazing character now? Her comics are awful and her sales are extremely low yet she made a billion. Freaking AQUAMAN made a billion. This idea that Superman somehow can’t is idiotic, Snyder’s movies sucked so the box office reflected that. I mean BvS couldn’t even make a billion when it had the Trinity on screen together for the first time tells me that the problem was Zack Snyder not the characters.

If someone makes a Superman movie that gets 90+ on RT and it still underperforms then I’ll accept that Supes is a relic and no one cares about him anymore. But let’s not pretend the DCEU Superman has been this huge critical success yet “somehow” hasn’t made any money. It’s been a complete catastrophe with Snyder botching every single character except Zod.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-20-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Hate to say it but Supes just doesn't have the potential for wide appeal. Regardless of who they get, I don't think it is gonna make much of a difference I don't think we will ever see a Superman film hit 1bn ever.
    Does a Superman film need to hit $1B to establish validation? Spider-man has yet to headline a film that made $1B at the box office, yet he's a fan favorite.
    Let's just make a good Superman movie, first.

Really it’s all a moot point anyway. Our main concern should be WW1984 and the next Batman film. Until those show up and are successes WB is still going to be cagey about the very idea of a shared DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Grace Randolph also made the point that Kevin Feige loves the Marvel characters and the comic books, while a lot of Hollywood producers and directors don't love super-heroes or comics--they look down on them and on the fans that love them.

I think that Patty Jenkins could do a good Superman movie, because she respects the character and would do something that appreciates the source material. But she seems to only be attached to the Wonder Woman franchise.
    Having someone who loves the characters and the comic books at the helm of your movie universe? Ridiculous! Outlandish! Its need to be re-imagined! And after every change that need at least 2-3 movies to settle in a complete overhaul is required if the next 1 movie does not meet short term gain expectations! ... *sigh*

Looks like such a guy makes not just one but 16 billion differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And Carol “5 relaunches in 4 years” Danvers is somehow an amazing character now? Her comics are awful and her sales are extremely low yet she made a billion. Freaking AQUAMAN made a billion. This idea that Superman somehow can’t is idiotic, Snyder’s movies sucked so the box office reflected that. I mean BvS couldn’t even make a billion when it had the Trinity on screen together for the first time tells me that the problem was Zack Snyder not the characters.

If someone makes a Superman movie that gets 90+ on RT and it still underperforms then I’ll accept that Supes is a relic and no one cares about him anymore. But let’s not pretend the DCEU Superman has been this huge critical success yet “somehow” hasn’t made any money. It’s been a complete catastrophe with Snyder botching every single character except Zod.
    Spider-Man in 6 films, has never made a billion either. Comic fans and GA fans are different from one another. Comics appeal to a miniscule audience that's growing even more niche as the years go by, movies and outside media appeal to everyone. While comic fans want the same characters over and over again, the GA do not. Fatigue starts to kick in and that's what's currently happening with Superman. It'll happen to Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Aquaman eventually too but for now, they're fresh and new. Hence all three making over a billion. For Superman to hit that milestone, it'd require a perfect storm (Charismatic likeable actor, visionary director, good script, spectacle...etc).

Also, iconicness and importance in comics doesnt mean a damn thing anymore when it comes to outside media, especially movies.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Yeah but Carol Danvers was riding the Marvel train. I don’t think they couid miss because some people aren’t going to see Captain Marvel alone. They’re going to see a clue of what the next storyline is. I love Marvel but I thought it was a pretty blah film. I went because I didn’t want to miss the intro of a character that was supposed to mean a lot in Endgame. Going forward, I’m curious how the Marvel films perform.

Superman will need to build an audience like Iron Man did. The name alone just won’t mean much. They need a great story. The whole “he’s the best of us” idea doesn’t appeal to a lot of people. Entertain me. I’d be jumping on Michael B Jordan if I was the studio.

Retired

Kind of sad if all this talk about Keanu Reeves being in a Marvel movie is true. Not that I mind him being in such movies--but if he signs with Disney then he's not likely to do any DC movies in the near future. I think he's a better fit for Warners than Disney. And he has the spirit of a DC character. I said on another thread that I wouldn't mind Keanu as Superman--albeit an off-model version. But really anywhere in the DC Universe that he wanted to go, I'd be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Yeah but Carol Danvers was riding the Marvel train. I don’t think they couid miss because some people aren’t going to see Captain Marvel alone. They’re going to see a clue of what the next storyline is. I love Marvel but I thought it was a pretty blah film. I went because I didn’t want to miss the intro of a character that was supposed to mean a lot in Endgame. Going forward, I’m curious how the Marvel films perform.

Superman will need to build an audience like Iron Man did. The name alone just won’t mean much. They need a great story. The whole “he’s the best of us” idea doesn’t appeal to a lot of people. Entertain me. I’d be jumping on Michael B Jordan if I was the studio.
    ...why would the studio be jumping on Jordan now?

Casting a black actor as Superman would be fresh. It would get an insane amount of hype. Doesn’t mean the movie will be good though.

I would just like to see what would happen with the character if someone put a great story on the screen.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 06-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.

I don't think the "general public" cares much about the race of fictional characters, they just want entertaining movies. Everyday people care a lot less about what color Superman or James Bond happen to be, than some people on social media would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Casting a black actor as Superman would be fresh. It would get an insane amount of hype. Doesn’t mean the movie will be good though.

I would just like to see what would happen with the character if someone put a great story on the screen.
    a huge problem with Snyder’s DCU was that it was divisive. It created a lot of bad vibes that WB is still trying to overcome. I think Jordan is a great actor but casting him as Superman would create a lot of divisiveness between fans and also the general audience. Does WB really want to jump head first back into that arena? I don’t think taking risks is the best idea right now as they’re still trying to rebuild the DC brand.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't think the "general public" cares much about the race of fictional characters, they just want entertaining movies. Everyday people care a lot less about what color Superman or James Bond happen to be, than some people on social media would have you believe.
    While I personally agree with you, I think the furor over changing Supe's color would make anything we have seen regarding the DCEU look quite mild in comparison.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

For the record, I’m not crazy about Jordan playing Superman. I’m just saying it would get a lot of hype probably. I’d love to see a just a classic take on The character myself.

Honestly all the Superman actors after Reeve have all left something to be desired despite for the most part all looking more or less like how Superman looks like in the comic. So I’m all for going a little out of the box with the casting next time. And Jordan is a pretty solid actor from what I’ve seen. And he’s probably look great in the suit and cape, so I’m on board. That being said if we were to shift Superman’s ethnicity, I always figured going latino would make sense thematically.