Page 300 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2002502902962972982993003013023033043103504008001300 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 20948

Was looking at some recent box office results.

Exactly how did Captain Marvel manage to out-gross Wonder Woman?

Part of a much more successful movie brand and came out right before Endgame. You gotta give it to Marvel, they know how to build hype around characters that noone outside of our niche audience had ever heard of, to the point where a mediocre movie like CM outgrosses a great and successful movie about the most popular female character that comics ever produced. Speaks for the power of the brand name and the faith the casual audience has in it. Had Shazam been an MCU movie it would've done at least Guardians of The Galaxy numbers.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Part of a much more successful movie brand and came out right before Endgame. You gotta give it to Marvel, they know how to build hype around characters that noone outside of our niche audience had ever heard of, to the point where a mediocre movie like CM outgrosses a great and successful movie about the most popular female character that comics ever produced. Speaks for the power of the brand name and the faith the casual audience has in it. Had Shazam been an MCU movie it would've done at least Guardians of The Galaxy numbers.
    It's insane.

Usually, when people outside of comics hear the name "Captain Marvel" the Shazam property is what usually comes to mind. Carol wasn't even Marvel's Cap until a few years ago.

Whereas Wonder Woman is an extremely iconic character, publicly ranking with the likes of Superman, Batman and Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Probably. DC needs to make more consistently really good movies that are also very entertaining and exciting like WW and Aquaman, and I think they can right the ship. I just think general audiences expect the characters to eventually team up similar to the mcu to fight a bigger threat. They are getting used to big 'events' movies. If WB and DC think they don't need that at all, well I disagree.

Well, I preferred Wonder Woman to Captain Marvel but I think it's universally a good thing for female Superhero movies to do well so I'm not too worked up about it.

Retired

The domestic gross for WONDER WOMAN was $412,563,408 in 2017, while the domestic gross for CAPTAIN MARVEL was $426,829,839 in 2019. So you can see that in North America there wasn't much difference between them. And that's despite WW coming in between DC movies that had underwhelming critical and popular support--yet WW disproved the assumption that female solo super-hero movies don't do well. Which is something that CM could build upon. Add to that that CM comes in between two very important MCU movies with lots of support and was sold as important to ENDGAME.

Clearly the probem for Wonder Woman isn't at home, it's in foreign markets--especially in countries where women are still second class citizens. It might be that Captain Marvel was able to sneak past that prejudice because the name is gender neutral. If DC had packaged Wonder Woman as CAPTAIN BATMAN maybe the overseas box office would have been higher.

Then you also have Disney's schlep. It can afford to promote its movies around the world with its merchandising and theme park presence.

WW was coming off the stink of BvS’ failure and we were getting nonstop “movie is a disaster!” pieces from websites. Captain Marvel meanwhile was leading up to the finale of the last 10 years of MCU movies and had the widespread acclaim of the Marvel brand. If WW1984 reviews we’ll i expect WW will going Batman and Aquaman in the billion dollar blockbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well, Neil deGrasse Tyson is finished. Should the Snyder cut and future editions of BvS cut his dialogue from the film? I think they should.
    What? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    He is right though. People are always attracted to spectacle. Of weather related deaths more people die in a heat wave than in tornadoes and hurricanes combined.
    I think what Tyson stated has merit, albeit poorly-timed and a bit insensitive. No one is reporting on the fact that 56 people in Chicago were shot between Friday and Monday of the same weekend of the mass shootings.

Astonishing Member

I fail to see the neccessity in cutting Neil Degrasse Tyson’s seconds long cameo from BvS just becuase of one controversial tweet.

Should they also cut Bill Maher’s cameo in Iron Man 3 because he said some not so nice things about Stan Lee?

Retired

I would be willing to axe all cameos from "real life" talking heads in my comic book movies (Stan Lee is an exception, he's like Hitchcock). I always find those uncomfortable. But targetting one talking head because of the politics of the moment is absurd--look at how many movies Bill Cosby is in, are you really going to censor everything from the past?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    It's insane.

Usually, when people outside of comics hear the name "Captain Marvel" the Shazam property is what usually comes to mind. Carol wasn't even Marvel's Cap until a few years ago.

Whereas Wonder Woman is an extremely iconic character, publicly ranking with the likes of Superman, Batman and Spider-Man.
    I see this a lot but sometimes you need to take those goggles off and realize that since Marvel started making successful movies they are sure to have more brand recognition and guaranteed success no matter what character they use. Usually, when non comic people heard the name Captain Marvel, NOTHING came to mind. Now Carol Danvers has that name and brand for herself. We live in a time where she can conceivable outsell Wonder Woman and it's because of Disney's ever-reaching corporate power, I don't understand why that surprises people still. Like obviously Batman and Superman are never going to do as well as Marvel characters anymore, they aren't Disney and we don't live in the 1970s anymore. It doesn't matter which character appears on all the backpacks and lunchboxes. The trinity haven't had a successful cartoon since the DCAU (maybe the Batman, but I always see a mixed response and it definitely took a nosedive in quality later on) and every new show is usually just based on the legacy of those older characters.
    Last edited by Elmo; 08-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I see this a lot but sometimes you need to take those goggles off and realize that since Marvel started making successful movies they are sure to have more brand recognition and guaranteed success no matter what character they use. Usually, when non comic people heard the name Captain Marvel, NOTHING came to mind. Now Carol Danvers has that name and brand for herself. We live in a time where she can conceivable outsell Wonder Woman and it's because of Disney's ever-reaching corporate power, I don't understand why that surprises people still. Like obviously Batman and Superman are never going to do as well as Marvel characters anymore, they aren't Disney and we don't live in the 1970s anymore. It doesn't matter which character appears on all the backpacks and lunchboxes. The trinity haven't had a successful cartoon since the DCAU (maybe the Batman, but I always see a mixed response and it definitely took a nosedive in quality later on) and every new show is usually just based on the legacy of those older characters.
    Granted none of them have had that many cartoons since the DCAU.

Like, Batman's had 2-3. Superman's only really had the Legion cartoon while Wonder Woman has gotten nothing.

And I would say Brave and the Bold was fairly successful.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    It's insane.

DC's core roster are definitely more well known and entrenched pop culture figures, but the Marvel brand is a juggernaut that audiences trust. At this point, it doesn't matter who's name is in the title; if it says "Marvel" it's gonna be successful (especially when it's tied to the bigger narratives). That Studio has spent eleven years building one of the strongest brands the modern entertainment world has seen and they could make a movie about the most obscure character on their bench and it'll still do great. DC, on the other hand, has IP's that are still more widely known than the Avengers (Superman is still the 2nd most well known fiction character on the planet, for example, and Bats and Diana are on that list too, all above Tony Stark) but the brand trust isn't there. WB has churned out some really bad and mediocre movies with shaky foundations while Marvel's been hitting home runs. So of course the box office is going to reflect that. It's not even really about the characters, because people still love the Trinity as concepts, it's about how much audiences trust the studios behind the films.

If people had been impressed with BvS and Squad, and if MoS hadn't had such mixed reviews, Wonder Woman would have made more than it did. But people saw those other films, didnt enjoy them, and not everyone was convinced to give WW a shot. I myself didn't see Aquaman or Shazam in theaters, even though I love the characters and liked the trailers. Why? Because I got tired of giving WB my money for sub-par movies (I bought both on blu-ray and enjoyed them). But Marvel? Those films have become a family tradition. I dont know anything about the Eternals and have no interest in them (knockoff New Gods? Pass). But me and my wife and son will be in the theater when the movie comes out, because I know Marvel will entertain us.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Of course, in some countries, if they used their native language for the title of the Wonder Woman movie, then it's possibe that some people walked into the theatre expecting to see a Marvel movie--as Wonder Woman and Marvel Woman are the same in some languages--eg. magtaka babae (Filipino); femme merveille (French); Wunderfrau (German); γυναίκα θαύμα (Greek); csodasszony (Hungarian); meraviglia donna (Italian); mulher maravilha (Portuguese); чудо женщина (Russian); žena u čudo (Serbian); mujer maravilla (Spanish); vahine maere (Tahitian); Чудо-жінка (Ukrainian); rhyfeddu menyw (Welsh); ko'olelo' maravilla (Yucatec Maya).