Page 301 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2012512912972982993003013023033043053113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 20948
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Was looking at some recent box office results.

Exactly how did Captain Marvel manage to out-gross Wonder Woman?
    I know right? WW is an Icon. So many girls have her merch. No one outside of comics have heard of Carol Danvers. No way is CM is going to outgross WW. No way.

Sure helps being the film before the Endgame and being part of a successful franchise. Although I liked CM better it does seem weird that it beat WW. Never thought it would gross a billion for sure.

I'm just happy that both movies did well enough to where the same executives and other folks can never again say that female-led superhero films do not/cannot sell.

Now that that is out of the way, they can try their hand at making non-white female-led superhero films. Though they'll probably repeat what they said about the ones starring white women.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Astonishing Member

I suspected Captain Marvel would make a billion dollars early on. The Marvel brand and pre-Endgame hype is enough to pull it over to the billion dollar club. And keep in mind Marvel is a more popular international brand than DC. And the Chinese love them some Marvel films. Someone pointed out before that one handicap WW had going for it was the fact the film didn’t do too well internationally as it did domestically. Marvel has a strong fanbase overseas and which gave it a advantage over WW.

But I’m still amazed WW did as well as it did despite the fact it was following two disliked films with BvS and Suicide Squad. It’s a testament to how well-liked the film was in comparison to Justice League which flopped and was soon forgotten about.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-06-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I suspected Captain Marvel would make a billion dollars early on. The Marvel brand and pre-Endgame hype is enough to pull it over to the billion dollar club. And keep in mind Marvel is a more popular international brand than DC. And the Chinese love them some Marvel films. Someone pointed out before that one handicap WW had going for it was the fact the film didn’t do too well internationally as it did domestically. Marvel has a strong fanbase overseas and which gave it a advantage over WW.

But I’m still amazed WW did as well as it did despite the fact it was following two disliked films with BvS and Suicide Squad. It’s a testament to how well-liked the film was in comparison to Justice League which flopped and was soon forgotten about.
    Yeah pretty much this. No knock on Captain Marvel but it had a lot to do with the fact that the Marvel brand itself is loved around the world. Plus the excitement for Endgame was insane. If there were even the slimmest chance the film had any connections to Endgame it was enough to boost the excitement level. I thought the movie was enjoyable but not great. Still it’s awesome to see more female superheroes get the spotlight.

Wonder Woman actually had the opposite to overcome. BvS had tainted the DC brand. I’m actually impressed it did as well as it did. All credit to the fact that people have been craving a Wonder Woman movie for years and Gadot was one of the few bright spots of BvS. I was very happy that Wonder Woman was the first female superhero to get her own movie in this modern superhero movie renaissance. She’s the icon that lead the way.

Unless WW84 gets really bad reviews and is actually a disappointment I can definitely see it breaking the $1 billion threshold.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-06-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I see this a lot but sometimes you need to take those goggles off and realize that since Marvel started making successful movies they are sure to have more brand recognition and guaranteed success no matter what character they use. Usually, when non comic people heard the name Captain Marvel, NOTHING came to mind. Now Carol Danvers has that name and brand for herself. We live in a time where she can conceivable outsell Wonder Woman and it's because of Disney's ever-reaching corporate power, I don't understand why that surprises people still. Like obviously Batman and Superman are never going to do as well as Marvel characters anymore, they aren't Disney and we don't live in the 1970s anymore. It doesn't matter which character appears on all the backpacks and lunchboxes. The trinity haven't had a successful cartoon since the DCAU (maybe the Batman, but I always see a mixed response and it definitely took a nosedive in quality later on) and every new show is usually just based on the legacy of those older characters.

Batman and Superman will never do as well as Marvel characters? We just gonna ignore the fact that Aquaman has made more than any Spider-Man movie ever? Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman also sell a lot more merchandise than any solo Marvel character except Spider-Man and the Avengers franchise. I think they're doing pretty well.

Was looking at some recent box office results.

Exactly how did Captain Marvel manage to out-gross Wonder Woman?
    Avengers End Game and it's disingenuous for anyone to argue otherwise. Captain Marvel wasn't going to see a home release until after End Game premiered so if you wanted to see that film knowing who the character was you had to see Captain Marvel in theatres.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Well, Aquaman also followed BvS and JL and it made $1B at the box office. Also, the majority of that money was made overseas, so the international fanbase is up for grabs all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I see this a lot but sometimes you need to take those goggles off and realize that since Marvel started making successful movies they are sure to have more brand recognition and guaranteed success no matter what character they use. Usually, when non comic people heard the name Captain Marvel, NOTHING came to mind. Now Carol Danvers has that name and brand for herself.
    It actually isn't that difficult for characters to garner a name for themselves, crappy films do that all the time. Films like Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider and Dare Devil all made those brands more recognizable.

We live in a time where she can conceivable outsell Wonder Woman and it's because of Disney's ever-reaching corporate power, I don't understand why that surprises people still. Like obviously Batman and Superman are never going to do as well as Marvel characters anymore, they aren't Disney and we don't live in the 1970s anymore. It doesn't matter which character appears on all the backpacks and lunchboxes.
    Uh, Why? Is it because you know people wear Superman t-shirts, but not Captain Marvel ones?

The trinity haven't had a successful cartoon since the DCAU (maybe the Batman, but I always see a mixed response and it definitely took a nosedive in quality later on) and every new show is usually just based on the legacy of those older characters.
    What a bizarre point, just out of no where. I mean, where to even begin;

a) What animated Marvel tv shows are setting the world on fire right now? I watched Avengers Assemble, but last time I checked Marvel/Disney keeps cancelling their shows after 2/3 seasons. I honestly have never heard of a current Marvel cartoon show, though I have no doubt it exists. I mean if you want to know what kids are watching, its Paw Patrol, PJ Masks and Peppa Pig.
    b) We have Teen Titans Go, DC Superhero Girls and Young Justice that are all popular and currently airing.
    c) Animation has drastically changed since the 90's. Action cartoons aren't as popular as comedic ones. The DCAU would not be popular in today's media landscape. I mean Disney's most popular animated series this decade are Gravity Falls, Star Vs and PJ Masks (Note how Disney's only popular superhero show does not use Marvel characters)
    d) The nature of animation means you can watch shows that are generations old. The Bug's Bunny shorts were 30 years old when my father watched them as a kid and kids are watching them now, along with the DCAU too.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-07-2019 at 10:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Batman and Superman will never do as well as Marvel characters? We just gonna ignore the fact that Aquaman has made more than any Spider-Man movie ever? Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman also sell a lot more merchandise than any solo Marvel character except Spider-Man and the Avengers franchise. I think they're doing pretty well.
    Thank you! What a bizarre post.

BTW has anyone pointed out that Wonder Woman came out in 2017 and Captain Marvel in 2019 in an entirely different environment? Do people in the Marvel boards fret about how Spiderman Homecoming made less than Aquaman (Which made over a billion) and this now means Spiderman is now less popular than Aquaman from now on? The same old, same old over here.
    Last edited by Tec15; 08-09-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Usually, when people outside of comics hear the name "Captain Marvel" the Shazam property is what usually comes to mind.
    A bunch of people already thought the dude's name was Shazam, which was part of the justification for the name change. Prior to this movie, I don't think "Captain Marvel" was a name that held much sway among your average person one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    BTW has anyone pointed out that Wonder Woman came out in 2017 and Captain Marvel in 2019 in an entirely different environment?
    The only really different environment is the one people noted: Captain Marvel is part of a much more popular brand. It benefitted from being tied to the Avengers movies, while Wonder Woman's association with Batman v. Superman was more of a liability than anything.

I'll go out on a limb and say had it had the benefit of coming after better received movies, Wonder Woman would've broken a billion easily.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-09-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    A bunch of people already thought the dude's name was Shazam, which was part of the justification for the name change. Prior to this movie, I don't think "Captain Marvel" was a name that held much sway among your average person one way or another.
    Maybe it's just me growing up with the DCAU and other DC cartoons but I would've thought that would make "Captain Marvel" a more recognizable name before the name change.

Retired

Obviously, concepts have a special interest for the people in the places where they began--and sometimes only in those places. Darna has yet to reach the popularity internationally like what she enjoys in her native Philippines.

But around the world random intellectual properties can put down roots in farflung regions. And it's strange how foreign cultures adopt these icons.

I know that Anne of Green Gables is a very popular character in Japan--even though our Anne is a Prince Edward Island icon in Canada--yet Japanese tourists travel to PEI every year to visit the home of the fictional character.

Pippi Longstocking from time to time becomes popular in North America, but nothing like the kind of popularity all the Astrid Lindgren characters enjoy in other parts of the world, outside of her native Sweden.

Minnie Mouse hasn't exactly had a high profile cartoon series from Disney in recent years (as far as I know), but that doesn't stop Minnie from being an international style icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    Thank you! What a bizarre post.

BTW has anyone pointed out that Wonder Woman came out in 2017 and Captain Marvel in 2019 in an entirely different environment? Do people in the Marvel boards fret about how Spiderman Homecoming made less than Aquaman (Which made over a billion) and this now means Spiderman is now less popular than Aquaman from now on? The same old, same old over here.
    Its honestly pretty bizarre how people hug to the box office and pretend this is the 1950's and that the only way you'd ever see a film is if you see it in theatres. Spider-man and Batman are still the most popular superheroes and this isn't reflected in their box office gross.

Instead of talking about how genius Marvel is in a DCEU thread, can we talk about how genius DC is with their logos? During the 70's DC endeavoured to connect each of their major heroes with a symbol (This is when Wonder Woman replaced the eagle on her chest with a W) and I think this gives DC films and their brand overall a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe it's just me growing up with the DCAU and other DC cartoons but I would've thought that would make "Captain Marvel" a more recognizable name before the name change.
    Shazam was only in one DCAU episode though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Minnie Mouse hasn't exactly had a high profile cartoon series from Disney in recent years (as far as I know), but that doesn't stop Minnie from being an international style icon.
    Not exactly a cartoon but she's in almost every one of the modern Mickey Mouse shorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Shazam was only in one DCAU episode though.
    Yeah, but he was in a pretty memorable one. The Captain Marvel vs. Superman fight and the moment where he calls out how the League's been acting were pretty big moments.