Page 323 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2232733133193203213223233243253263273333734238231323 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 20948
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I'm not sure what "forced colorblind acting" is, but i don't see a problem with one of the Birds being race bent. I thought they would go with the comics and make Huntress black. Im fine with Canary being a black woman. It's just not that big a deal.
    Yeah, I have been over that since I first saw Earth Kitt as Catwoman back in the early '70s when I was a child. In fact, her height was the thing that bothered me then, not her race.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'm not sure what "forced colorblind acting" is, but i don't see a problem with one of the Birds being race bent. I thought they would go with the comics and make Huntress black. Im fine with Canary being a black woman. It's just not that big a deal.
    I’m fine with the casting, so long as DC doesn’t try to promote race swapped Black Canary as their first Black female superhero. Sorry, but that distinction belongs to an actual Black Character (Vixen, Bumblebee, Rocket). Luckily though, I don’t think they can promote her as such, since Darla Dudley already has that claim, thankfully
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    If the Joker movie doesn't have the DC logo in front, it's not a DC movie.
    And textless variant covers aren't DC comics.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I’m fine with the casting, so long as DC doesn’t try to promote race swapped Black Canary as their first Black female superhero. Sorry, but that distinction belongs to an actual Black Character (Vixen, Bumblebee, Rocket). Luckily though, I don’t think they can promote her as such, since Darla Dudley already has that claim, thankfully
    Well Catwoman has been African-American twice so I don't see that being a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Isn't the "DCEU"--as some people will insist on calling it--in something of an ill-defined state right now? I don't think we'll have a very good idea of what exactly constitutes a shared universe for the movies projected to come out over the next few years, until we have enough of them that we can say which ones are connected and which ones fall outside the parameters.
    I'm not even sure if DCEU is a term used by WB at all. So, of course, when WB introduced the term Worlds of DC people used this as an opportunity to say the DCEU is dead.

People should be cognant to the fact that the terminology we use isn't shared by creators, but at the same time, I think it's telling that people are tieing themselves into knots trying to pretend the new Batman films aren't part of the same universe as Wonder Woman or Shazam.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    They have gone on record that most movies are going to be self contained so you won't see references to Aquaman or Shazam in Birds of Prey or any more crossovers like Justice League.
    Well, yeah, you aren't going to get references to Aquaman or Shazam in Birds of Prey, but Birds of Prey has characters from Suicide Squad in it... To say its self-contained is factually incorrect.

That's probably a big reason why the WW movies seem to be stuck in period pieces and not touching the current landscape post JL.
    The sequel to Wonder Woman was announced to be set in the 80's immediately after the first movie was released in cinemas, maybe even before. The reason why Wonder Woman 84 is another period piece is because Patty Jenkins wants it to be.

Who knows what Reeve's Batman will be but considering he seems to be recasting all of Bruce's current supporting cast from the snyder movies it seems like its unconnected from the remaining DCEU(WW, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Birds of Prey, New Gods etc)
    The director has straight out said that its part of the greater "DC universe". Like sure, Aquaman isn't going to appear in the film, but no one ever claimed Captain America 1 isn't part of the MCU because it doesn't have Hulk in it. Honestly, this is a settled argument, but because he said "DC Universe" instead of "DCEU/Worlds of DC", the haters went nuts. In the context of his statement he's clearly referring to the other DC movies.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Catwoman has been African-American twice so I don't see that being a problem.
    Three times if you count the DC Super Hero Girls cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think if Black Canary was costumed like Black Canary (she's had a few different outfits), I would be more enthused. But they all look like they're out on a hen party, not dressed up for crime fighting.

It seems like, with all the "Black (something)" codenames, even those that aren't African Americans to begin with, end up being people of colour in the end. And I find this much more embarassing for the comics industry than trunks over leggings. I thought this was something we were trying to get away from--it seems a bit racist, like calling someone of colour "Old Black Joe."
    I think Black Widow might be the only major Superhero with "black" in their codename that hasn't been race-bent by this point. Plus she's a redhead, so that's even more of an outlier.

Although I don't know how you could figure a black Russian spy unless you make it a legacy version.
    The MCU is episodic in nature. It's essentially TV on the big screen, and going into it's 4th season.
    DC isn't necessarily episodic. All manner of things can be happening without refering to other heroes.
    I mean, there's an episodic nature in there but there is also a lot of development of that heroes' world or their corner of things along with their supporting cast of civilians or heroes.

Sometimes other heroes or events from other movies are involved in that, and sometimes they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    I honestly think the race swap of Black Canary was more about having an aesthetic difference between the two hot blonds in the movie because as someone else pointed out, it would have been easier to make Huntress Black since she currently is in the comics and then they would have had the same amount of diversity that they do now.
    I would think there would be plenty of aesthetic differences between Harley and Dinah without the need for a race-bent. I'm not advocating against it, I'm just saying I don't think it would have been necessary on that level when Black Canary and Harley are very visually distinctive from each other.
    A lot of people thought Gal Gadot didn't look like Wonder Woman for very specific physical reasons; she's too thin, not curvy enough, her eyes are the wrong color, her boobs aren't big enough...they just couldn't see (and some still can't) that she looked more like Diana than she didn't. The same is true of Jurnee as Black Canary; she's beautiful, she's sassy, she has a kindness to her face and also a fierceness, she's physically fit and if skin tone is all your looking at and it's THAT important to you, compare the Injustice game version of Canary to Jurnee, their skin tones are pretty close.
    I haven't really seen a lot of Jurnee other then set pics so this stuff doesn't really jump out at me, but Simone seemed to think highly of her so maybe she will be able to do a good job of translating Dinah to the screen.

I don't see the resemblance to Injustice 2 Dinah at all. Maybe to Injustice Starfire, but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I have been over that since I first saw Earth Kitt as Catwoman back in the early '70s when I was a child. In fact, her height was the thing that bothered me then, not her race.
    All the Catwomen on that show were well-cast, although I kinda wish they had kept up the Batman/Catwoman rapport with Kitt and Adam West (even if the era wouldn't let them).
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    And I hope they don't try and pull some synergy with it across media. Granted, black Deadshot never caught on but look at Aquaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Three times if you count the DC Super Hero Girls cartoon.
    With Cree Summer doing an impeccable Eartha Kitt impression on that show .

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier;4545646

I would think there would be plenty of aesthetic differences between Harley and Dinah without the need for a race-bent. I'm not advocating against it, I'm just saying I don't think it would have been necessary on that level when Black Canary and Harley are very visually distinctive from each other.

I haven't really seen a lot of Jurnee other then set pics so this stuff doesn't really jump out at me, but Simone seemed to think highly of her so maybe she will be able to do a good job of translating Dinah to the screen.

I don't see the resemblance to [I
    Injustice 2[/I] Dinah at all. Maybe to Injustice Starfire, but that's about it
    I didn't say she looked like the Injustice Black Canary, I said their skin tones were close.

And maybe aesthetic didn't convey my meaning correctly, I just think they were trying to make it more visually interesting.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 09-02-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Its the fact that they chsnge both the race and the costume ro the point it may as well not be Black Canary which is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its the fact that they chsnge both the race and the costume ro the point it may as well not be Black Canary which is the issue.
    The costume has been changed plenty of times in the comics and Smollett's doesn't even look all that different and it's been suggested she'll be wearing different outfits. As for her race, what about Black Canary requires her to be white?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The costume has been changed plenty of times in the comics and Smollett's doesn't even look all that different and it's been suggested she'll be wearing different outfits. As for her race, what about Black Canary requires her to be white?
    Nothing, but when you change too much it stops being the character.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Nothing, but when you change too much it stops being the character.
    Again, how have they changed too much? Black Canary has worn a variety of outfits and if anyone thought the leotard and fishnets look from the comics was going to make it on screen, they were being incredibly naive. Especially when Marvel avoided Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel and Black Widow's more revealing outfits from the comics and superheroine costumes are under more scrutiny. Smollet's costume seems as close to what Dinah would wear while not being as embarrassing and Gail Simone, often considered the best writer of Black Canary has given the movie version her stamp of approval.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-03-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Fantastic Member

She's beautiful, she's blond, she's fit, she's a martial artist (in the movie), she reportedly has her Canary Cry, she wears variations of Black Canary's colors (blacks, blues, yellows/golds)...if they wrote the character well then it's Black Canary.

Retired

Black Canary wears a blonde wig--in real life, she has black hair. At least that's the version I know from the comics.

Actually, I wanted Warner to cast Awkwafina as Dinah. After the success of CRAZY RICH ASIANS, I thought WB should be putting all their actors under contract for other movies, to monopolize on their break-out success. Awkwafina has the kind of popularity that would bring attention to Black Canary.

And I could see how Dinah's history would intersect with Oliver Queen's, in an Asian setting. But then they would have had two Asian actresses in the movie--oh how shocking!

It appears like whoever cast the movie didn't want any actresses that were too big in name to compete with Margot Robbie. I'm not saying that was the true intention--but the appearance is there.