Page 324 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2242743143203213223233243253263273283343744248241324 ... LastLast
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Black Canary wears a blonde wig--in real life, she has black hair. At least that's the version I know from the comics.

Actually, I wanted Warner to cast Awkwafina as Dinah. After the success of CRAZY RICH ASIANS, I thought WB should be putting all their actors under contract for other movies, to monopolize on their break-out success. Awkwafina has the kind of popularity that would bring attention to Black Canary.

And I could see how Dinah's history would intersect with Oliver Queen's, in an Asian setting. But then they would have had two Asian actresses in the movie--oh how shocking!

It appears like whoever cast the movie didn't want any actresses that were too big in name to compete with Margot Robbie. I'm not saying that was the true intention--but the appearance is there.
    I wouldn't count Akwafina as a bigger name than Robbie's.

Also, this is a movie were three fifths of the heroic cast is non white which isn't something to scoff at.

Agreed that studios ought to care more about matching the source material. Race, gender, sexual orientation, and general appearance are pretty important parts of what makes a character who they are. If you take one away, then it becomes somebody different. That said, when casting actors appearance should matter and if someone can look like a character, then it doesn’t matter if that person is the exact race. Which is why I wouldn’t have an issue with a non-Jewish actor playing Moon Knight as long as he resembles the character drawn in the comics. People forget that comics after a visual medium and changing a visual aspect is throwing away a lot of what the artist contributed. This talk about Hawkman doesn’t really bother me either because I believe that they are adapting Prince Khufu rather than Carter Hall. Also I’ve read that Mena Massoud has been rumored and I think that would be great as he was awesome in the Aladdin remake.

Though regardless of the sister of that infamous French actor playing Dinah, Birds of Prey looks like a mess.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 09-03-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Robert Pattinson comments on Batman for the time publicly. He says the movie will explore things from the comics that has never been touched on in the prior films. His comments start around the 2:51 mark.

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    She's beautiful, she's blond, she's fit, she's a martial artist (in the movie), she reportedly has her Canary Cry, she wears variations of Black Canary's colors (blacks, blues, yellows/golds)...if they wrote the character well then it's Black Canary.
    She's also wearing fishnets in that photo. Just on her arms instead of her legs. So they're definitely paying homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Black Canary wears a blonde wig--in real life, she has black hair. At least that's the version I know from the comics.

Actually, I wanted Warner to cast Awkwafina as Dinah. After the success of CRAZY RICH ASIANS, I thought WB should be putting all their actors under contract for other movies, to monopolize on their break-out success. Awkwafina has the kind of popularity that would bring attention to Black Canary.

And I could see how Dinah's history would intersect with Oliver Queen's, in an Asian setting. But then they would have had two Asian actresses in the movie--oh how shocking!

It appears like whoever cast the movie didn't want any actresses that were too big in name to compete with Margot Robbie. I'm not saying that was the true intention--but the appearance is there.
    They wouldn't need to CGI her Canary Cry, Awkwafina's God-awful voice and vocal fry would be enough to kill'em the moment she'd say her lines. :x

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Black Widow might be the only major Superhero with "black" in their codename that hasn't been race-bent by this point. Plus she's a redhead, so that's even more of an outlier.

Although I don't know how you could figure a black Russian spy unless you make it a legacy version.

Wasn't she black in Secret Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its the fact that they chsnge both the race and the costume ro the point it may as well not be Black Canary which is the issue.
    Given that the current iteration of Black Canary is a performer, I can't imgaine that she'd ever stick to one costume. That would be tacky.

She's beautiful, she's blond, she's fit, she's a martial artist (in the movie), she reportedly has her Canary Cry, she wears variations of Black Canary's colors (blacks, blues, yellows/golds)...if they wrote the character well then it's Black Canary.
    When Black Canary first came to my attention as a teenager, she wore a blonde wig, which she ditched for a short dark crop, and she didn't even have her Canary Cry. Also, fellow superhero Ray Terrill was her boy toy.

I honestly think the race swap of Black Canary was more about having an aesthetic difference between the two hot blonds in the movie because as someone else pointed out, it would have been easier to make Huntress Black since she currently is in the comics and then they would have had the same amount of diversity that they do now.
    I remember watching an Arrowverse crossover and there was a big group of characters talking shop in a room, and for some reason it bothered me that Kara Danvers (a hot blonde wearing glasses) was standing right next to Felicity Smoak ( a hot blonde wearing glasses).

My first thought after noting their attractiveness was "Why are they standing next to each other? Couldn't a director see they look just alike and move one of them to the other side of the group? Hello!"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The costume has been changed plenty of times in the comics and Smollett's doesn't even look all that different and it's been suggested she'll be wearing different outfits. As for her race, what about Black Canary requires her to be white?
    I think there's a consistent thoroughline in Dinah's costume, at least her main costumes, that we've yet to see on-screen....and yeah, it's the leotard and fishnets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Robert Pattinson comments on Batman for the time publicly. He says the movie will explore things from the comics that has never been touched on in the prior films. His comments start around the 2:51 mark.

What's the one thing that prior films haven't touched on yet? Batman as a detective?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Genius View Post
    She's also wearing fishnets in that photo. Just on her arms instead of her legs. So they're definitely paying homage.
    I didn't like it when they did it with Zatanna and I don't like it with Dinah. Fishnet leggings or bust .
    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Given that the current iteration of Black Canary is a performer, I can't imgaine that she'd ever stick to one costume. That would be tacky.
    That's how they justified her wearing fishnets and her usual kind of costume for the DCYou series, which is where they got the performer angle, although it was never my favorite series with Dinah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I remember watching an Arrowverse crossover and there was a big group of characters talking shop in a room, and for some reason it bothered me that Kara Danvers (a hot blonde wearing glasses) was standing right next to Felicity Smoak ( a hot blonde wearing glasses).

My first thought after noting their attractiveness was "Why are they standing next to each other? Couldn't a director see they look just alike and move one of them to the other side of the group? Hello!"
    Maybe it's just me but Melissa Benoist and Emily Brett Rickards look so different from each other that it didn't stand out to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's a consistent thoroughline in Dinah's costume, at least her main costumes, that we've yet to see on-screen....and yeah, it's the leotard and fishnets.
    She has fishnets in the image that was posted. They're just on her arms instead of the legs.

As for the leotard, again, that was never going to happen in era where people expect female superheroes' outfits to be more modest.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Peter Capaldi joins the cast of James Gunn's Suicide Squad.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/suicide...ie-1202709645/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Miles is seen more as a Black character than a Latino one honestly. He didn't have the same impact on Latinos as he did on African Americans that's for sure. Jaime is also exclusively Latino, something Marvel's Latino characters lack (since they're either half White or Black).
    I was planning to come back to reply to this and now i have some time.
    I know what you mean but it's how it said that is incorrect or you worded incorrectly.

So what i think you mean to say is miles is seen ethnically more as a african american more then latino since there are black and white latinos who are only ethnically latino too.
    I think you maybe correct on that one even if he is half latino,just like salma hayek.

She is mention alot of times as only latino and seen as only latino at times but folks forget she is half arab.
    She will be in eternals by the way.

I stand by what I said. Marvel has a WEAK roster of Latino characters, probably why in 10+ years all the MCU has to offer is Luis, while the DCEU has El Diablo, Pedro Peña, Renee Montoya and potentially Jaime Reyes in the near future ( not to mention the potential there is with Bane and Jessica Cruz).
    I disagree with this.
    Knowing wb you should not count bane,jaime or reyes yet in the live action dceu film.
    Now it's true that blue beetle has a greater chance then latino characters at marvel who are only latino ethnically(not part anything ethnically) getting a film or even a tv show but i think on average marvel's latino roster is stronger then dc's if you count only the latinos who are only latino ethnically.

I think there is more of chance of marvel's only ethnically superheroes getting a solo film then the rest of dc's latino characters on average like white tiger/s and ghost rider reyes.

Of course white tiger could be in a show or have her/his own show like ghost rider reyes is having own mcu show.
    There is some talk in the thread below about ghost rider,so check it out.
    THREAD: GHOST RIDER & HELSTROM MCU HULU SERIES
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...u-Series/page2

By the way most of the latino characters in the mcu are in the mcu shows.
    So if someone is only count dceu and mcu films then so far there are more latino characters in the dceu films then the mcu films so far.

Let me make this clear however.
    If someone is counting how many latino characters in the mcu universe vs dceu universe then the mcu has more if you count the mcu shows,comics,etc..
    DC Extended Universe Characters
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:...rse_Characters
    and
    Category:Earth-199999 Characters | Marvel Database | FANDOM
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...999_Characters

Note-You forgot the mcu versions of Flash Thompson and Jasper Sitwell who are latinos only in mcu.
    Of course the characters are not latinos in the comics.

There were some rumors or talk about a flash thompson/agent vemon mcu show but that has gone up in smoke.
    MCU Agent Venom TV Series Reportedly IN DEVELOPMENT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Y1C-7YHj4
    There are more latino characters that were in mcu and dceu films then you mention but they had minor roles or cameos like Rickson Gracie and Débora Nascimento in the Incredible hulk or El Diablo family in suicide squad for example.

Oh you should check out this show or episode.
    It's three latino men talking about movies,comics,comic book movies,sci-fi etc..
    Final JOKER Trailer, Rise of Skywalker D23 Footage Teases Dark Rey - Hyper Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aurn_XLm8Io&t=2994s
    Last edited by mace11; 09-03-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Which is why I wouldn’t have an issue with a non-Jewish actor playing Moon Knight as long as he resembles the character drawn in the comics.
    People forget that comics after a visual medium and changing a visual aspect is throwing away a lot of what the artist contributed. This talk about Hawkman doesn’t really bother me either because I believe that they are adapting Prince Khufu rather than Carter Hall.
    Jewish is not a race.
    It's a religion and ethnic group.
    Also I’ve read that Mena Massoud has been rumored and I think that would be great as he was awesome in the Aladdin remake.
    Mena racially does not look like the dc comics version of prince khufu either.

Khufu (New Earth)

Prince Khufu lives during the reign of Ramesses II in the 19th dynasty of ancient Egypt. Khufu believes that his ka, or soul, will not journey on to the land of the afterlife. Rather, his soul and that of his betrothed, Chay-Ara, are fated to remain in the mortal world.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Khufu
    Last edited by mace11; 09-03-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't know. Even race aside, if I showed you an image of this version a year ago and asked you to guess what hero that was, Black Canary doesn't spring immediately to mind.