Page 330 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2302803203263273283293303313323333343403804308301330 ... LastLast
Results 4,936 to 4,950 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    http://collider.com/sneider-cut-craz...source=twitter

At about 49 minutes in, the Wrap's Jeff Sneider says that Mahershala Ali was Matt Reeve's first pick for Commissioner Gordon in The Batman, and that Reeves has met with him, but that being cast as Blade most likely took that off the table.
    Ali is a phenomenal actor but I don't know if I could see him as Gordon. I know he's in his 40's but he looks more Ben McKenzie Gordon then Gary Oldman's Gordon.

He's a much better fit for Blade in my opinion.

Although I wonder if this means WB/DC would be going for a black Batgirl or if they've just not through these movies that far. Was The Lego Batman Movie prophetic ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    It'll be interesting to see another live action version of Poison Ivy, but I don't really care who plays her, but I'm all about Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman.
    That's a random thought. Have there been any Kravitz rumors? I was under the impression Vanessa Kirby was still a front-runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    They were also talking with Foxx, right? Him as Gordon would be pretty good.
    I could definitely see Foxx as Gordon more. He has more of the prominent facial hair and he would feel like the "older and wiser" Commissioner for Batman then I think Ali would.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ali is a phenomenal actor but I don't know if I could see him as Gordon. I know he's in his 40's but he looks more Ben McKenzie Gordon then Gary Oldman's Gordon.

Although I wonder if this means WB/DC would be going for a black Batgirl or if they've just not through these movies that far. Was The Lego Batman Movie prophetic ?

That's a random thought. Have there been any Kravitz rumors? I was under the impression Vanessa Kirby was still a front-runner.

I could definitely see Foxx as Gordon more. He has more of the prominent facial hair and he would feel like the "older and wiser" Commissioner for Batman then I think Ali would.
    Nope, no rumors, just saw someone post it as a fancast with a pic of Zoe with her pixie cut and she looked like a perfect Selina.

They were also talking with Foxx, right? Him as Gordon would be pretty good.

Didn't they look into trying to get Lady Gaga as Black Canary? So I guess this isn't that far out there.
    Giancarlo Esposito was also rumored.

Wow, a lot of these rumored castings sound horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Giancarlo Esposito was also rumored.
    Esposito sounds the most believable as Gordon to me.

He's also played Ra's Al Ghul and Black Spider in DC Animated films.

Astonishing Member

100M opening weekend for the Joker? https://heroichollywood.com/joaquin-...-100m-opening/

It's clever. They would both cast an acclaimed actor and make sure to erase another redhead down the line.

DC/WB probably sees how they cast a black/mixed actress to play MJ in the new Spider-man movies and how well those movies have been received. If they cast one I bet that would have had some influence on it. Also in the LEGO Batman movie Batgirl was black there, but given how early they are restarting in Batman's career I don't think the Batgirl movie is that much of a priority anymore. Although Foxx has a daughter in her 20s that is an actress/model. The idea of casting an actual father and daughter for Jim and Barbara would be interesting, haha.

But it is crazy how often redheaded comic characters get swapped out for black actors in media, lol. I wonder if the studios are aware of it and they do it specifically because of that. It happens so often it has to be deliberate. Maybe one of those things where it is easier to do because it has been done so often before.
    Last edited by Badou; 09-07-2019 at 02:16 AM.

Zendaya is not playing Mary Jane though, "Michelle Jones" is an original character created for the MCU. I think of her like the different versions of Catwoman we've seen over the years. While if Gordon has a daughter it's obviously going to be Barbara. It's ironic that people with red hair are a rather rare sight, so they're basically erasing minority representation by repeatedly changing characters like that. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-07-2019 at 02:26 AM.

DC/WB probably sees how they cast a black/mixed actress to play MJ in the new Spider-man movies and how well those movies have been received. If they cast one I bet that would have had some influence on it. Also in the LEGO Batman movie Batgirl was black there, but given how early they are restarting in Batman's career I don't think the Batgirl movie is that much of a priority anymore. Although Foxx has a daughter in her 20s that is an actress/model. The idea of casting an actual father and daughter for Jim and Barbara would be interesting, haha.

But it is crazy how often redheaded comic characters get swapped out for black actors in media, lol. I wonder if the studios are aware of it and they do it specifically because of that. It happens so often it has to be deliberate. Maybe one of those things where it is easier to do because it has been done so often before.
    I doubt it has anything to do with what the Spider-Man movies are doing. Casting poc actors as characters who are white in the comics is a live action DC tradition going all the way back to Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. If WB wanted a black girl playing Barbara Gordon they'd have cast her whether or not Zendaya was playing MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with what the Spider-Man movies are doing. Casting poc actors as characters who are white in the comics is a live action DC tradition going all the way back to Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. If WB wanted a black girl playing Barbara Gordon they'd have cast her whether or not Zendaya was playing MJ.
    I think you are underestimating how the studios read and react to what each other does all the time. I didn't mean to imply it would be their primary reason for doing it, but I think it would have an influence. Since you can look back at WB trying to turn Suicide Squad into their Guardians of the Galaxy and then hiring the director of Guardians for SS2, or rushing to a JL movie to compete with the Avengers while hiring the director of the Avengers movie to finish directing it. I think it is very possible that WB looks at what Marvel is doing with their young heroes and characters and taking influence from that.

I think you are underestimating how the studios read and react to what each other does all the time. I didn't mean to imply it would be their primary reason for doing it, but I think it would have an influence. Since you can look back at WB trying to turn Suicide Squad into their Guardians of the Galaxy and then hiring the director of Guardians for SS2, or rushing to a JL movie to compete with the Avengers while hiring the director of the Avengers movie to finish directing it. I think it is very possible that WB looks at what Marvel is doing with their young heroes and characters and taking influence from that.
    Yes studios take influence from each other but not all the time. And in this case we are talking about something (racebending) that WB was doing with their characters long before the MCU even existed. Hell, we just had a conversation in this very thread about Black Canary being played by a black woman.

If a black Barbara Gordon shows up in the movies, the MCU would have had nothing to do with it. Believe it or not, WB is actually capable of coming up with ideas on their own.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Rumored Plot Details For ‘The Batman’ Tease Insidious Gotham Conspiracy: https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/09...am-conspiracy/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Zendaya is not playing Mary Jane though, "Michelle Jones" is an original character created for the MCU. I think of her like the different versions of Catwoman we've seen over the years. While if Gordon has a daughter it's obviously going to be Barbara. It's ironic that people with red hair are a rather rare sight, so they're basically erasing minority representation by repeatedly changing characters like that. lol
    It kind of makes you think Mera was lucky on that front though I remember all the speculation they'd cast someone also Polynesian to match Momoa .

Although would a black Batgirl wear a red wig like Batwoman does? Otherwise it's a completely different looking Batgirl without the hair flowing out of the cowl. Unless they dye it like Zendaya did for apparently no reason at all.

Also kind of makes me think that Black Widow is a two-fer for having both black in her codename and red hair yet it would be difficult to racebend her.

Momoa must have been the main reason Mera wasn't changed. Hollywood seems to like the non-white male/white female pairing a lot these days. If Momoa resembled the original Aquaman, I really doubt Mera would've been a white redhead.

As for Barbara, it's not like she needs to stop being a redhead if she isn't white. Starfire is a good example for that. After all, they change these characters because they are white, not because they have red hair. Though the fact that it constantly happens to this specific type of characters is why it's become such a running gag.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-07-2019 at 10:16 AM.