Page 335 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2352853253313323333343353363373383393453854358351335 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 20948
    Retired

From what's already been teased in the trailers, it's pretty clear that they took a lot from the comics and from other media treatments of the Joker--no matter what the spin doctors tell you. It just might not be in line with whatever the current version of Joker is supposed to be in the comics. But you can see a lot that's been taken from THE KILLING JOKE and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. I don't see this being so much different from Marvel movies where they take the essence of a few Marvel comic book plots, jam them all together and create a movie that is an adaptation, but a very loose adaptation of the source material.

I think the promotional machine is worried about trying to sell the movie to people that usually reject comic book movies and also trying to sell it to people that expect a panel for panel adaptation. They're trying to get the non-comic book critics to give the movie a chance and they're trying to prepare the hardline comic book fans so they don't lose their nut when they see that the Joker has a red nose. I'm not sure if they can really innoculate themselves against either faction. There will probably be a lot of angry vloggers declaring that JOKER destroyed their childhood.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that much of the narrative around the Joker movie is that it's so distanced from comics? I saw an interview with some of the producers talking about how they don't like/watch comic book films. I feel like slapping the Joker brand onto a more general "man loses his mind" story is using the nerd market for less-than-noble purposes. I don't know.
    Here is some talk about this.
    Is Joker Really A Comic-Book Movie - The John Campea Show

Retired

I think I've established that I'm never going to watch another John Campea video and, if by some chance I did, it wouldn't be one that has the potential to spoil the movie for me. Maybe we should just table this discussion until the rest of us have a chance to see the movie. I feel like those in the know have already started talking too much about the movie way ahead of when it should be talked about in an open forum. Which is another thing that could hurt the movie's box office. DC movies have a tendency to peak too soon, well before they are released, so all the hype has been spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that much of the narrative around the Joker movie is that it's so distanced from comics? I saw an interview with some of the producers talking about how they don't like/watch comic book films. I feel like slapping the Joker brand onto a more general "man loses his mind" story is using the nerd market for less-than-noble purposes. I don't know.
    Again, this is almost 100 percent intentional, because they're gunning for awards with this, and are thus trying to market it as a comic book film for people who don't like comic book films (I.E., the members of the Academy and other prestigious award institutions).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    From what's already been teased in the trailers, it's pretty clear that they took a lot from the comics and from other media treatments of the Joker--no matter what the spin doctors tell you. It just might not be in line with whatever the current version of Joker is supposed to be in the comics. But you can see a lot that's been taken from THE KILLING JOKE and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. I don't see this being so much different from Marvel movies where they take the essence of a few Marvel comic book plots, jam them all together and create a movie that is an adaptation, but a very loose adaptation of the source material.

I think the promotional machine is worried about trying to sell the movie to people that usually reject comic book movies and also trying to sell it to people that expect a panel for panel adaptation. They're trying to get the non-comic book critics to give the movie a chance and they're trying to prepare the hardline comic book fans so they don't lose their nut when they see that the Joker has a red nose. I'm not sure if they can really innoculate themselves against either faction. There will probably be a lot of angry vloggers declaring that JOKER destroyed their childhood.
    I also saw inklings of that myself and would be happy at a mash-up of plots and themes from the comics without actually replicating any single one. Maybe it is just marketing.

From what I've seen their take on Joker seems to be entirely it's own thing. Maybe there's some thematic similarities to Killing Joke with him being a struggling comedian but it looks to be it's own take.

Especially since they're giving him a clear civilian name.

Official cast list for The Suicide Squad via James Gunn.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Nevermind, beat it to it.

Pete Davidson seems so random .

So who do you guys think is playing who? Outside of the ones we already know.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Kevin Smith Says Robert Pattinson Batman Movie Is Based on The Long Halloween: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/09/13/...ong-halloween/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Kevin Smith Says Robert Pattinson Batman Movie Is Based on The Long Halloween: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/09/13/...ong-halloween/
    Well, at least they're using a solid story as the groundwork. Whether they make something as good...we'll see.
    But The Long Halloween is one of the best Batman stories of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    So who do you guys think is playing who? Outside of the ones we already know.
    Nathan Fillion is Kite Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Hell yeah!
    tumblr_otci3ikNBS1qavruko1_500.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The only casting that makes sense.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.