Page 386 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2863363763823833843853863873883893903964364868861386 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,790 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    and the Snyder fanatic still defending his movies saying audiences always wanted dark DC movies... Clearly they didn't like them as much as Joker.
    The Snyder films didn't receive millions of dollars in free advertisement. Also, the Box Office is not an a metric that determines how the public likes or dislikes a film. I've seen films in theatres that I do not like, yet, according to your logic, I do.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It is quite a joke that a tiny budget movie based on the most iconic villain has wiped the floor with most of the heroes on both DC and Marvel. The profit is said to be equal to that of Avengers Infinity War https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/joker-se...080903286.html.
    Becoming the most profitable non-group CB film would be a nice feather in WB's cap.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Dr. Psycho is largely a caricature and strawman of misogyny.
    Then that makes him an important antagonist for WW based on what he represents. Maxwell Lord doesn't have anything to do with anything from her lore.

Though Morrison's Psycho from Earth One is the best version of the character and shows he doesn't have to be a dwarf and avoid the unfortunate implications.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    and the Snyder fanatic still defending his movies saying audiences always wanted dark DC movies... Clearly they didn't like them as much as Joker.
    If the takeaway WB gets from this is all their movies need to be dark again, rather than ya know the tone fitting the character, they deserve whatever catastrophe they inevitably bring upon themselves.

Lets be realistic here guys, its because of Phoenix. If it wasnt for his quality as an actor it would of fallen apart. Free advertising can only do so much

Joker is the most popular villain ever. That has never not been the case. If the movie makes it to a billion without China then even Disney will have to rethink their practices of how to market their movies going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Lets be realistic here guys, its because of Phoenix. If it wasnt for his quality as an actor it would of fallen apart. Free advertising can only do so much
    It was going to do great regardless of the actor (and Phoenix, despite his quality acting, has never been a major box-office draw). With it's budget and the most popular supervillain headlining it, The Joker was going to give WB a profit no matter what. That it was actually good vaulted it to the top of R-rated CB films.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Joker is the most popular villain ever. That has never not been the case. If the movie makes it to a billion without China then even Disney will have to rethink their practices of how to market their movies going forward.
    Marvel has to be already rethinking their practices based on The Joker's massive profit on such a small budget.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Marvel has to be already rethinking their practices based on The Joker's massive profit on such a small budget.
    If Deadpool didn't do it I can't see Joker doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    If Deadpool didn't do it I can't see Joker doing it.
    Yeah, I forgot its budget was small, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    In modern times, superb acting has never really been a box office draw though. In fact, cbm are pretty much marked for their poor acting and they are some of the highest grossing films in the past few years.

I think you are vastly underestimating the draw all that free advertisement garnered.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In modern times, superb acting has never really been a box office draw though.
    It wasn't always that way in the Golden Age of Hollywood, either. Paul Muni was the most versatile actor of his time, yet never was a top box-office attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    If the takeaway WB gets from this is all their movies need to be dark again, rather than ya know the tone fitting the character, they deserve whatever catastrophe they inevitably bring upon themselves.
    Oh I agree. Just pray that doesn't happen. Aquaman and Wonder Woman did very well and they were more bright and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I'm hoping Birds of Prey and WW84 prevents this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It was going to do great regardless of the actor (and Phoenix, despite his quality acting, has never been a major box-office draw). With it's budget and the most popular supervillain headlining it, The Joker was going to give WB a profit no matter what. That it was actually good vaulted it to the top of R-rated CB films.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In modern times, superb acting has never really been a box office draw though. In fact, cbm are pretty much marked for their poor acting and they are some of the highest grossing films in the past few years.
    Name recognition and popularity of the characters is important, but those things only go so far. We saw this happen before; Batman v. Superman had one of the highest opening weekends of all time, yet it sank like a rock in its second weekend and ultimately fell below studio expectations because it had negative word of mouth that ended up discouraging repeat viewing. And then the sequel outright tanked despite the popularity of its characters and Wonder Woman having had her own hit movie by that point. By contrast, Joker has had absolutely incredible repeat viewing because of stellar word of mouth, and Joaquin Phoenix's performance absolutely contributed to that.

It is in much the same way Robert Downey Jr. is not a huge box office draw on his own (his last non-Marvel movie flopped), yet his performance absolutely contributed to the character of Iron Man becoming so popular among audiences. People genuinely connected with Joker as a film, and Phoenix's performance is a big part of that.