Page 395 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2953453853913923933943953963973983994054454958951395 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,925 of 20948
    BANNED

I love it when people use anecdotal evidence to advance their moronic agenda's. Apparently, the recent DC movies have "failed to become significative works of pop culture" (sic). Why? Because, he hasn't heard anyone talk about them. Aquaman, to take one example, grossed more overseas than any of the Thor, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardian's movies ever did. In fact, Aquaman's overseas gross alone ($815 Million) was greater than the total overall gross of any of the Ant-Man, Dr. Strange movies and nearly as much of the last Thor and Guardian movies. Remember we're comparing only the overseas gross alone against the total gross of these apparently permanent fixtures of popular culture from Marvel, who curiously have nevertheless failed to ever crack a billion unlike Aquaman. Hell, it made even more than Civil War did overseas, and that was an Avengers movie in all but name. But Aquaman isn't a "significative work of pop culture" (sic) unlike all those Marvel movies it easily outgrossed, because some guy on the internet claims he never hears anyone bring it up.

While we're on the subject, Joker (R-rated, no cgi explosions, little action, only $55 million budget) has already managed to out gross Endgame in certain overseas markets (Like Japan). But whadya no, there's no space for DC because Disney has monopolized everything.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    Aquaman, to take one example, grossed more overseas than any of the Thor, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardian's movies ever did.
    Black Panther, too, which really surprised me. Aquaman appears to be, not just King of the Seas, but maybe the Overseas, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Black Panther, too, which really surprised me. Aquaman appears to be, not just King of the Seas, but maybe the Overseas, too.
    Aquaman has WAY MORE fans who don't buy comics. I have met too many who were overly excited about that movie.

So you have a guy that is well known versus guys like Antman-who were not at the time.

I just don't see a pattern that specifically links good acting to block buster success, the biggest box office films don't have good acting in them and I'm not even that convinced the public at large knows what good acting is anyway.
    Some movies don't need "good acting" to make a box office.

Because these films are based on comics-they are already allotted x amount of dollars in term of box office. Box Office that varies based on the quality of the film at times.
    RDJ & Phoenix's performances opened the door for more box office profit because they were so good or close to it. Same with Heath's Joker.

Aquaman, to take one example, grossed more overseas than any of the Thor, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardian's movies ever did.
    Also when dealing with oversea markets-you are dealing with a different beast. Some films are not welcomed everywhere like black lead movies in China. So yeah some films will gain more money versus others.

Antman did beat Aquaman in Taiwan.
    Antman showed more in Africa than Aquaman.
    Austria doesn't seem to care for DC movies.

Also don't forget who played Aquaman. What was his FIRST tv series???? Some show that was VERY popular overseas that some of the cast were pop idols overseas unlike here?
    BAYWATCH. So that helps a VERY little.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Aquaman has WAY MORE fans who don't buy comics. I have met too many who were overly excited about that movie.

So you have a guy that is well known versus guys like Antman-who were not at the time.
    True, but Aquaman also had to deal with the lame rep he has had to deal with during this century (though that may not be an issue out of the US?)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I have no idea about the rest of the world, but I know Aquaman had crazy good marketing in China, where it was really huge. The same company also marketed Venom there, which similarly went over like crazy.

It also helped immensely that Aquaman was very much a fun popcorn movie versus some of the previous DCEU movies, and those tend to appeal more to Chinese audiences than really dialogue-heavy dramas.

Joker about to reach $900m! It will be the first R rated (well first with inflation anyways) movie to reach that and will beat Spider-Man 3 and man of steel world wide.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#42da65be43d0

Didn't it beat Man of Steel a while ago? MOS only did 668 million. This has been a much bigger hit.

Also when dealing with oversea markets-you are dealing with a different beast. Some films are not welcomed everywhere like black lead movies in China. So yeah some films will gain more money versus others.
    Black Panther made 105M in China. Some may find it difficult to comprehend, but if people don't happen to show up for a movie with a black lead, inside or outside the US, it doesn't actually indicate they were racially motivated. Tomb Raider for instance underdelivered. Did that mean a lot of people didn't go see it because the protagonist was a woman? There are few more popular female characters in the world than Lara Croft, so maybe people weren't impressed enough with the movie to go back to see it again.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-02-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Aquaman was always going to be a visual feast. It's not hard to understand why people in droves came to watch this movie. Special effects doesn't guarantee box office but Aquaman always had some cred to me.

Astonishing Member

If you think black leads have it rough imagine being a Chinese male lead. Oh that's right there's basically no such thing as a Chinese male lead in North America. Non-existent. Well there's going to be Shang-Chi but I don't think it's going to be overly successful.

Chinese movies only light it up in China and a few other Asian markets. Is that racist? No, that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    If you think black leads have it rough imagine being a Chinese male lead. Oh that's right there's basically no such thing as a Chinese male lead in North America. Non-existent. Well there's going to be Shang-Chi but I don't think it's going to be overly successful.

Chinese movies only light it up in China and a few other Asian markets. Is that racist? No, that's just the way it is.
    What about Crazy Rich Asians? That did fantastic in North America and very poor in China.

Shang-Chi is gonna do fine because it's a Marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    What about Crazy Rich Asians? That did fantastic in North America and very poor in China.
    I would imagine for the same reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Shang-Chi does better in American than there. The concept of a mainstream Asian-led film is considered a novelty in America because movies with Asian leads don't get made here very often. That's obviously not the case in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I would imagine for the same reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Shang-Chi does better in American than there. The concept of a mainstream Asian-led film is considered a novelty in America because movies with Asian leads don't get made here very often. That's obviously not the case in China.
    I also wonder if the whole "lifestyles of the rich and wealthy" doesn't have as much appeal to China. Though admittedly I know very little about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I also wonder if the whole "lifestyles of the rich and wealthy" doesn't have as much appeal to China. Though admittedly I know very little about that.
    A lot of Chinese people in China have become rich and wealthy and lots of other people aspire to be, so not sure why it wouldn't appeal to them. I think the average Chinese person now has
    a better chance of getting rich than the average American.

Joker is going to make 1 billion
    Most profitable movie WB/DC has made
    I'm tempted to say the success is down to a lot of movies flopping and Joker's name recognition along with all the bad press for the movie turning into publicity hype but then you also have Aquaman making 1 billion in December
    Still its a really good showing for an R rated DC property
    DC should look into doing more movies with the character(not sequels to this movie its perfect)

Pressure is definitely on BoP to make that kind of money with its small budget
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 11-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.