Page 83 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687931331835831083 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 20948
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its not doing amazing, Its doing okay for a christmas release
    Initial expectations for the film had it at maybe a 120-130m 5 day now with this weekend it looks to be down to a possible 95-100m 5 day
    Not that many people seem to be seeing the movies this holiday in the us compared to last year or maybe there are too many options swallowing up the revenue for any one film.

Still Aquaman is doing good in china and that can mean more in the long run for the franchise
    It's actually doing really well. China alone will do 275, and doing 2nd best amongst DCEU movies. Nobody thought it would exceed expectations.

Jumanji did less than 75 ow and still did 400 domestic. It's all about the legs

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The fact that the director rather famously defended Antifa on social media probably didn't help either.
    Few people even know what Antifa is, even fewer knows what goes on in Lord's or Miller's (or whoever it was) twitter feeds, and among those few I'm guessing there are even fewer who see that as a dealbreaker for going to see the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    For those wondering what a dying franchise looks like, one just has to take a look at the happenings taking place in the Star Wars fandom. Not only are they cancelling Star Wars events to allow the fandom to 'heal', but they are withholding a completed Episode 9 trailer because they are afraid its going to become lost in a deluge of other (mostly MCU) trailers. Now they are openly talking about reseting the franchise as well.
    The last movie in that dying franchise came out one year ago, and made 1.3 billion $ worldwide. Are you sure you're not just repeating gossip from Mens' Rights-type people with an unhealthy fixation?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Its not doing amazing, Its doing okay for a christmas release
    Initial expectations for the film had it at maybe a 120-130m 5 day now with this weekend it looks to be down to a possible 95-100m 5 day
    Not that many people seem to be seeing the movies this holiday in the us compared to last year or maybe there are too many options swallowing up the revenue for any one film.

Still Aquaman is doing good in china and that can mean more in the long run for the franchise
    Umm where are you getting these numbers from? Its performing within the high range of tracking and is still looking at 110-120M for 5day. Will surpass 500M WW by Christmas.

It's on track with other solid December openers, outside of Star Wars (a true anomaly). Opening at 70+M guarantees 250M domestic, but I'm pulling for 300M+.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Few people even know what Antifa is, even fewer knows what goes on in Lord's or Miller's (or whoever it was) twitter feeds, and among those few I'm guessing there are even fewer who see that as a dealbreaker for going to see the movie.

The last movie in that dying franchise came out one year ago, and made 1.3 billion $ worldwide. Are you sure you're not just repeating gossip from Mens' Rights-type people with an unhealthy fixation?
    1.3B after the last one made 2B? That's quite a drop. Wouldn't be surprised if Ep. 9 fails to reach a billion next year. Last Jedi was so bad and boring! Same old rebels vs first order crap, very little action, annoying side characters...etc. I know it's anecdotal but none of my friends are excited for the next installment, many are even skipping it. Who would have thought that Star Wars and Wizarding World would end up dying slowly and needing to be fixed... Guess that's what happens when you rely on a brands name and forget to release a quality film...
    Last edited by El_Gato; 12-22-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Incredible Member

SNIP!

The film did alright, but everything else took a major hit, especially the toy line. Disney didn't just buy Lucasfilms JUST for its film division, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Wait, what ?

Can you provide a link about it ?
    Heres one article that sums up a lot of my talking points.

The general headlines for anything involving Star Wars nowadays tends to be bad, regardless of the publisher. It actually looks a lot like how publishers treat the DCEU.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The fact that the director rather famously defended Antifa on social media probably didn't help either.
    I never heard that story.

For those wondering what a dying franchise looks like, one just has to take a look at the happenings taking place in the Star Wars fandom. Not only are they cancelling Star Wars events to allow the fandom to 'heal', but they are withholding a completed Episode 9 trailer because they are afraid its going to become lost in a deluge of other (mostly MCU) trailers. Now they are openly talking about reseting the franchise as well.
    Really? Because Star Wars hasn't figured out how to tell guys who buys toys to destroy on youtube to get bent yet?

I wonder how people who said WB were fools for releasing Aquaman in December (against so much competition) feel now that they were proven wrong?
    Wrong about what? It just came out on Friday. Lets see how it does when New Year's Eve arrives.
    Lets not forget this week starts Christmas vacation for KIDS-my students's holiday started Thursday. In other school districts it start FRIDAY.

Christmas Eve is MONDAY-so a lot of folks are traveling between Friday and Sunday. Or late minute Christmas shopping. So those who wanted to see this or that are not there right now. Especially kids traveling with parents to other places.

So lets put a hold on bashing Miles Morales and a film in some sad attempt to feel better about Aquaman. Miles's film already got dvd/blue ray space at schools, libraries and households. Sony is going to get their MONEY. They already know they can make Spider films without PETER. They got their victory.

Now WB needs to worry about theirs. Wonder Woman was number one and it looks like Aquaman should be number two.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Animated superhero films just aren't as big as their live action counterparts. And yes a big part of that has to do with the cartoons are for children stigma. I think a lot people over predicted Spider-Verse.
    Didn't the Lego Batman movie do pretty good though (and the Teen Titans Go! movie)?

But I guess those weren't released in a lower-perfoming holiday season.

Don't go cheering yet guys. Don't forget bvs did GREAT on it's first week then dropped after. The next few weeks will tell how things are. Will aquaman have legs? Plus spidey, bumblebee and mary have a higher like score over aquaman. That didn't hurt ss any so well see but it's to early to cheer yet.(plus spidey is about to hit china and they love marvel movies and cartoons and this is both!)

Word of mouth for the films will tell in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't go cheering yet guys. Don't forget bvs did GREAT on it's first week then dropped after. The next few weeks will tell how things are. Will aquaman have legs? Plus spidey, bumblebee and mary have a higher like score over aquaman. That didn't hurt ss any so well see but it's to early to cheer yet.(plus spidey is about to hit china and they love marvel movies and cartoons and this is both!)

You can't compare BVS to Aquaman because one was a dour film released in March and the other is a crowd pleasing film released in December. December is a completely different animal when it comes to the box office, as movies released there tend to sprout very good legs due to the holidays (Christmas, New Year's, Winter Vacation for schools/colleges).

Also for the record, China doesn't like cartoons, with the exception of Coco. First day numbers for Spidey in China is on par with day 14 numbers for Aquaman and the latter is on track for 280M from China alone anyway. If it matches WW in International - China numbers (320M), then that's already 600M from overseas alone! That's a huge win for WB! Oh an btw its pacing ahead of WW in Europe and Asia and is on par with her in Latin America. So obviously DC fans have a lot to cheer about!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Wrong about what? It just came out on Friday. Lets see how it does when New Year's Eve arrives.
    Lets not forget this week starts Christmas vacation for KIDS-my students's holiday started Thursday. In other school districts it start FRIDAY.

Christmas Eve is MONDAY-so a lot of folks are traveling between Friday and Sunday. Or late minute Christmas shopping. So those who wanted to see this or that are not there right now. Especially kids traveling with parents to other places.

So lets put a hold on bashing Miles Morales and a film in some sad attempt to feel better about Aquaman. Miles's film already got dvd/blue ray space at schools, libraries and households. Sony is going to get their MONEY. They already know they can make Spider films without PETER. They got their victory.

Now WB needs to worry about theirs. Wonder Woman was number one and it looks like Aquaman should be number two.
    Wrong in that Poppins, Bumblebee and Spiderverse were going to either beat Aquaman or eat into his audience. Obviously that isn't happening.

And no one is bashing Miles Morales. Merely pointing out that those expecting a high gross from Spider Verse (comparable to the live action films) were kidding themselves. Animated supehero films dont do as well as their live action counterparts, especially over seas. Big Hero 6 and Incredibles being the exception, but that's Pixar.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't the Lego Batman movie do pretty good though (and the Teen Titans Go! movie)?

But I guess those weren't released in a lower-perfoming holiday season.
    They did good relative to their budget. Still no where near how their live action counterparts perform.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Yeah, Poppins and Spider-verse aren't doing that well around the world, compared to Aquaman. Aquaman will already to 500 by Monday. WOW!

But the mood revolving around BvS was negative even before the movie came out. People still went to see it because it was the first time The Trinity was on screen together but the negative vibe just got worse once the fans had actually seen it. Aquaman isn’t getting all glowing reviews but it seems like the mood surrounding the movie is positive. I think the general audience is fine with a blockbuster movie that may have some wooden acting and bad dialogue as long as the overall film is fun and visually pleasing.

Also for the record, China doesn't like cartoons, with the exception of Coco.

Looked it up and yeah the highest two Disney and Pixar cartoons are coco and zootopia. Your right.

Big Hero 6 and Incredibles being the exception, but that's Pixar.
    Big hero 6 is Disney and it's a marvel movie! Not sure how it did there however. It's not on the top grossing list.

Yeah, Poppins and Spider-verse aren't doing that well around the world, compared to Aquaman. Aquaman will already to 500 by Monday. WOW!

If someone had told you 10 years ago aquaman and wonder woman would be a bigger draw then batman and superman what would you have told them?

Wow at the times.

By the way aquaman is 25 on china's high grossing list!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...films_in_China

I haven't checked lately but Aquaman, Bumblebee, Poppins all got A- cinemascores. Critics RT score have Aquaman at the bottom whereas audience RT scores have Aquaman on top at 86%, Bumblebee at 81%, and Poppins at 70%.

If Venom was any indication, RT scores don't really mean jack anymore. The movie got annihilated by critics, yet the paying audience, as in the only people who actually matter here, went in droves to see it and Venom ended up making north of 850M worldwide. Not saying I expect similar numbers for Aquaman but I do believe the movie would have decent legs.

Star Wars has been "dying" since ROTJ, TPM, AOC, ROTS, TFA, and now TLJ. It's hilarious to me that people try to convince others that the sky is falling when apparently hit the ground like 30 years ago.

Can't wait for EP. IX. So excited and I'm gonna go to SW Celebration in 2019. Sure feels dead to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics