Page 72 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576821221725721072 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Art reflects the times it was made in, mostly in terms of perception from the audience. But I don't think this is supposed to be a pro anti-immigrant story, I can see why you think that but I don't agree. Comics are our modern myths, everyone knows the story of Superman. This is just a flip of expectations that most people haven't seen before or have thought about. There are tons of other stories and movies out there like this.
    Oh, I definitely don't think this was made with anti-immigrant sentiments in mind. However, it's unfortunate that we cannot have Superman depicted as a shining beacon of the American dream on the big screen right now. So a twisted version that exploits the fear of the other and the fear of the unknown 'alien' may unwittingly contribute to validating peoples' prejudices.

Also, I hope this doesn't damage Superman's image or the way people perceive him in any way. Especially since there isn't the specificity of this being a DC 'Elseworld' or AU like Red Son where people clearly know it is a deliberately twisted take on the character. Not an ambiguous "This is how the character may realistically be like" message coming from a rival studio movie like this one.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-08-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I always thought of the DCEU as a live-action New 52, I thought that was the reason the vast majority didn't like it.
    Lol touche. BVS wasn't New 52 inspired though, it was a weird combination of vastly different stories that should have never been combined. MOS also wasn't either, no idea what inspired that film honestly lol.

Justice League, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, and Shazam are all New 52 inspired. Wonder Woman is New 52 + Marston (literally nothing is taken from Perez).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Oh, I definitely don't think this was made with anti-immigrant sentiments in mind. However, it's unfortunate that we cannot have Superman depicted as a shining beacon of the American dream on the big screen right now. So a twisted version that exploits the fear of the other and the fear of the unknown 'alien' may unwittingly contribute to validating peoples' prejudices.

Also, I hope this doesn't damage Superman's image or the way people perceive him in any way. Especially since there isn't the specificity of this being a DC 'Elseworld' or AU like Red Son where people clearly know it is a deliberately twisted take on the character. Not an ambiguous "This is how the character may realistically be like" message coming from a rival studio movie like this one.
    We could have had that Superman but WB hired Snyder to do Superman.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Justice League, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, and Shazam are all New 52 inspired. Wonder Woman is New 52 + Marston (literally nothing is taken from Perez).
    Which elements of Wonder Woman, apart from daddy!Zeus, came from New 52? (And I note that daddy!Zeus plays a lot less part in the movie compared to New 52.)

Frankly, I don't see a lot of direct Marston in the movie either, but I do see a lot of Pérez. The strong mythical roots for the Amazons together with that Diana went out into Man's World specifically to fight Ares and stop a war. At the same time there are plenty of differences. Gal Gadot's passionate and earthy Wonder Woman bewildered by Man's World seems most similar to how Gail Simone writes her.

But in the end I'd say that Allan Heinberg and Patty Jenkins crafted a new and independent Wonder Woman origin story that brought in elements from all over Wonder Woman's history but still was something distinctly its own.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Other than the fact that Diana didn't have flight as an innate power. That's pretty much it.
    Even this one wasn't a New 52 thing. Marston didn't give her flight and she didn't get a full blown power flight (as in, not the in-between "gliding on air currents" thing) until after COIE. And I've never watched Lynda Carter's show, but I don't think she flew there.

So that pretty much just leaves Zeus as a daddy, and even that is implemented in a different way from the comics.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So that pretty much just leaves Zeus as a daddy, and even that is implemented in a different way from the comics.
    And that she likes ice-cream. 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    And that she likes ice-cream. ��

Even the New 52 didn't come up with that one. It was first used in Phil Jiminez's run in the 2000s.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Eve the New 52 didn't come up with that one. It was first used in Phil Jiminez's run in the 2000s.
    Jiminez is one of the stronger influences on the film and Diana's characterization in it IMO. Something that isn't very apparent.

Speaking of, with Aquaman looking to overtake Batman v Superman and possibly be the DCEU's first billion dollar grosser, I wonder how WB and DC feel about freaking Aquaman and Wonder Woman being their biggest successes right now. I don't think they ever expected that 10, 5 or even 2 years back.

Astonishing Member

And DC Comics especially seems to want a new take or a soft reboot on Aquaman when the movie is so much based on the concepts by Geoff Johns.

Mighty Member

Numbers update

China Box Office: AQM scores $32.15M on SUN and has earned $94.72M on 3-day opening. It broke many records for WB including midnights, FRI, SAT, SUN, DAY1, single day, opening wknd. Some December records including SAT, SUN, single day, opening wknd are also rewritten. #Aquaman

Aquaman coming out next Friday here in The Netherlands.

I'm curious, can anyone explain why Aquaman is doing so well in China compared to DC's other heroes? Is Momoa a big star there, does the story reflect something in Chinese culture, or is it because the tone looks a lot more fun? Usually, studios cast a prominent Chinese actor in a supporting role to appeal to Chinese audiences, but I don't recall there being one in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even this one wasn't a New 52 thing. Marston didn't give her flight and she didn't get a full blown power flight (as in, not the in-between "gliding on air currents" thing) until after COIE. And I've never watched Lynda Carter's show, but I don't think she flew there.

MeTV runs episodes of Wonder Woman on Saturdays so I have watched every episode at least twice by now. All Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman does is jump high. Basically able to leap onto a tall
    building in a single bound. But she does have the invisible jet. So that is the only way Wonder Woman flies on the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm curious, can anyone explain why Aquaman is doing so well in China compared to DC's other heroes? Is Momoa a big star there, does the story reflect something in Chinese culture, or is it because the tone looks a lot more fun? Usually, studios cast a prominent Chinese actor in a supporting role to appeal to Chinese audiences, but I don't recall there being one in this film.
    Seems like they like movies with a lot of action and bright colors with not much need for exposition. Probably why the Transformers movies do so well. Most the other DC movies were rather dark and colorless. Even a lot of Wonder Woman.