Page 26 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036761265261026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Unless getting rid of Cavill is the course correction. I could see where some execs at Warner Bros. Brands might think the problem with the movies was Cavill all along and so steering away from him would be a course correction.
    DC have been screwing up their movies long before Henry Cavill was Superman. Any exec that things he's to blame is a fool. Not talking about how movies bank but rather quality, Suicide Squad was a hot mess and Cavill was nowhere near that. In fact, his character was dead. The issue with the DCEU is the impatience they have in rushing through as many properties as they can and trying to hit ideas before Marvel does. Marvel spent years on origin movies, starting with three characters and slowly making it bigger. DCEU needs to scale back and do the same. We should've met Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and then the world should have developed around them until it could stand on its own and there was outcry for spinoffs. Instead, we got a Superman movie, a Superman movie that didn't know it was a Batman movie, and Suicide Squad.

Also, even if they did believe Cavill played a role, I hope they fired their casting department. It was literally their job to find a leading man. I believe they did a good job, but if DC doesn't have faith in them anymore then they clearly aren't meeting expectation.

I've enjoyed the movies for what they were, even the hottest mess of all that is Suicide Squad, but they're shallow and inconsistent for the most part. An extended universe can't be built upon such shaky foundations, in my opinion.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Unless getting rid of Cavill is the course correction. I could see where some execs at Warner Bros. Brands might think the problem with the movies was Cavill all along and so steering away from him would be a course correction.
    Which would be a shame, they should really be looking to their company for the problems, not him.

Retired

Not to defend WB, but there's been no movement on a Superman sequel for a donkey's age. They announce other things, but nothing to do with Superman. Maybe if they had stuck with the plan for a Justice League part 2 movie or maybe if the now stand alone JUSTICE LEAGUE had done well--then they would have announced something for Superman. But none of that happened. So you've got Henry Cavill standing around waiting for a movie that might not be made for another five years. It's a cruelty to Cavill and his movie career to keep him in limbo like that. Pulling the plug would be a mercy. Unfortunately, WB still hasn't said and we still don't know what's going to happen with Superman--which might mean that even Cavill doesn't know if they're going to pay or play him. Any action is better than no action.

Not to defend WB, but there's been no movement on a Superman sequel for a donkey's age. They announce other things, but nothing to do with Superman. Maybe if they had stuck with the plan for a Justice League part 2 movie or maybe if the now stand alone JUSTICE LEAGUE had done well--then they would have announced something for Superman. But none of that happened. So you've got Henry Cavill standing around waiting for a movie that might not be made for another five years. It's a cruelty to Cavill and his movie career to keep him in limbo like that. Pulling the plug would be a mercy. Unfortunately, WB still hasn't said and we still don't know what's going to happen with Superman--which might mean that even Cavill doesn't know if they're going to pay or play him. Any action is better than no action.
    Cavill's career is gonna be fine. WB wasted their opportunity with him and he'll move onto bigger things. Before Craig was cast as Bond, Cavill was the studio's second choice for the role. Wouldn't be surprised if they still want him plus he has the Witcher which could last longer than his time as Superman.

I really don't get how they botched this so badly.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

The problem for actors is their contracts require them to be available for certain roles and they can't always do other projects. It can mess up a career. This is what happened with Pierce Brosnan re Remington Steele and James Bond.

Most actors only have a short window of opportunity to make the money that will see them through the lean years. So when you're hot, you want to do the most work you can--because you never know when the gravy train is going to end.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Camera test (w/ sound). Joker. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_uihPAVhL/

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Dammit. Why does this movie look like it is going to be good? I'm not really a Joker fan and I think he is overdone. But now I am going to have to watch this movie.

That does look good.

Also, why is there a second thread on the DCEU? It seems to have gotten pretty big too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Dammit. Why does this movie look like it is going to be good? I'm not really a Joker fan and I think he is overdone. But now I am going to have to watch this movie.
    Because it seems the studio is letting the filmmakers make their film without any interference. I get when building a cinematic universe you need to set ground rules but WB kept literally altering plot/tone mid production with the DCEU. Thank god it seems going forward they've stopped that looking at WW84, Shazam, Aquaman, and now this maybe there is hope they've learned their lessons outside of their refusal to move Aquaman's release date and potentially allowing Cavill slip away and things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    That does look good.

Also, why is there a second thread on the DCEU? It seems to have gotten pretty big too.
    I'm just guessing one is dedicated to the DCEU exclusively while this one is all DC films?

That does look good.

Probably to mirror the current divide that exists between DC fans in regards to the movies... DCEU vs WoDC lol
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Probably to mirror the current divide that exists between DC fans in regards to the movies... DCEU vs WoDC lol
    I think either the topics should be clarified as distinct, or they should be merged. This thread's history is mostly about The DCEU.

Retired

That does look good.

Probably because when the old thread was closed, the OP opened this one. Then the OP for the other thread opened that one, not realizing a new one had already been opened.

They should be merged--but this one came first so I'm sticking with it.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    In case anyone doesn't know, the song playing over the instagram post is "Laughing" (1969) by Canada's own The Guess Who, with Burton Cummings on lead vocal (written by Cummings & Randy Bachman).

EDIT: Please disregard on account of me completely forgetting about the existence of Jared Leto's Joker.
    Last edited by TheNewFiftyForum; 09-21-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow