Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Fair enough then. Looking forward to seeing Jessica blow up Xanshi, John become Parallax or Hal marry Katma Tui instead.
    Me too. I don't even like any of those storylines, so they should be changed

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    The same can be said for virtually any character with multiple iterations. A specific IP uses everything related to said IP, including villains. Wally had new villains but most of his rogues were not much different from Barry's. It is perfectly natural for an earth-based Green Lantern to fight any villains that have appeared in Green Lantern media. Hal has the rivalry with Sinestro but that doesn't mean other Green Lanterns haven't fought him because they obviously have and it isn't some disservice to Hal. Sinestro is a character in the GL universe. All I gathered from your post is that DC likes to use different Lanterns in different media so nobody attributes anyone as the "true" Green Lantern, there are many and they all play in the same sandbox. Nothing you've said thus far gives any indication that Hal won't be a part of the new GL TV series. And even if he isn't, so what... he's a fictional character, he will always come back, he isn't out of a job
    I mean, if you use those elements and act like they're specific to that character instead of associated with another...I dunno, it just feels disingenuous to me? It's like whenever Barry fights villains created for Wally.

Of course it just goes to show much of a mess the GL franchise is in terms of who the protagonist is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if you use those elements and act like they're specific to that character instead of associated with another...I dunno, it just feels disingenuous to me? It's like whenever Barry fights villains created for Wally.

Of course it just goes to show much of a mess the GL franchise is in terms of who the protagonist is.
    Do you have an example of "acting loke they're specific to that character?" because I don't see it. Green Lantern is a property and they're going to use everything related to that property when they adapt those characters.

I'm also compelled to remind people that Hal Jordan is still the most popular Green Lantern, he has more media appearances than any other GL and is essentially the face of the franchise itself. I only came across this notion that Hal Jordan is unpopular when I joined this website a month ago. Is this bubble world?

Fantastic Member

Do you have an example of "acting loke they're specific to that character?" because I don't see it. Green Lantern is a property and they're going to use everything related to that property when they adapt those characters.

I'm also compelled to remind people that Hal Jordan is still the most popular Green Lantern, he has more media appearances than any other GL and is essentially the face of the franchise itself. I only came across this notion that Hal Jordan is unpopular when I joined this website a month ago. Is this bubble world?
    The internet is honestly a series of bubbles. And Hal is deeply divisive depending on which bubble you stumble into. And it's hard to say where he stands overall but the safe bet is around half the fandom loves him and half LOATH him. Each side tends to be convinced it's in the majority but there's no real way to prove it. The pro-Hal point to your argument the others point to these days how massively popular the JL cartoons with John as GL was and how that means he's still the default face of the franchise and people saying otherwise are comic fans stuck in a bubble. Previously you would get how well Kyle's run was.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    The internet is honestly a series of bubbles. And Hal is deeply divisive depending on which bubble you stumble into. And it's hard to say where he stands overall but the safe bet is around half the fandom loves him and half LOATH him. Each side tends to be convinced it's in the majority but there's no real way to prove it. The pro-Hal point to your argument the others point to these days how massively popular the JL cartoons with John as GL was and how that means he's still the default face of the franchise and people saying otherwise are comic fans stuck in a bubble. Previously you would get how well Kyle's run was.
    And there are some who don't care one way or another and just want their preferred Lantern. There are, like, six other people in the running at this point .

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    That makes sense to me, but I think that really plays to how well Green Lantern can work as a franchise. What other comic book property that isn't a team book has had so many characters in lead roles, with each of them considered special and important in their own way? That's only counting the earth Lanterns.

In my opinion, Sodam Yat should be the star of the show

That makes sense to me, but I think that really plays to how well Green Lantern can work as a franchise. What other comic book property that isn't a team book has had so many characters in lead roles, with each of them considered special and important in their own way? That's only counting the earth Lanterns.

Probably The Flash franchise but the only competition is Barry and Wally.

Probably The Flash franchise but the only competition is Barry and Wally.
    I have the same feelings toward the Flash. There's so much material, why do we keep getting Flashpoint, and why should two Batmen and a Supergirl be a part of a mythology that's already so expansive and brilliant in its own corner of the DCU?

Don't feel compelled to answer... just putting it out there

“Special”? Maybe. “Important”? No. Alan, Kyle, Guy, and Simon aren’t important at all, they’re the ones who get scraps at best. Hal and John are at the top, they’re the important ones, and it’s a constant fight over which of those two gets to be the face of the franchise. Underneath them is Jess who is growing in popularity thanks to her constant appearances in animation. Jo is too new to really say if she’ll last.

But the GLs are not on equal footing. Not in terms of popularity, usage, contribution to the mythos, or sales.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Special”? Maybe. “Important”? No. Alan, Kyle, Guy, and Simon aren’t important at all, they’re the ones who get scraps at best. Hal and John are at the top, they’re the important ones, and it’s a constant fight over which of those two gets to be the face of the franchise. Underneath them is Jess who is growing in popularity thanks to her constant appearances in animation. Jo is too new to really say if she’ll last.

But the GLs are not on equal footing. Not in terms of popularity, usage, contribution to the mythos, or sales.
    I say important as in (almost) all of them have been leads of different series, so maybe not "important" to the overall mythos but moreso in regards to their star power and character development. I think if given enough of a pedestal they could all be on equal footing someday.

Extraordinary Member

I say important as in (almost) all of them have been leads of different series, so maybe not "important" to the overall mythos but moreso in regards to their star power and character development. I think if given enough of a pedestal they could all be on equal footing someday.
    Do you believe they all will be given that pedestal?

I have the same feelings toward the Flash. There's so much material, why do we keep getting Flashpoint, and why should two Batmen and a Supergirl be a part of a mythology that's already so expansive and brilliant in its own corner of the DCU?

Don't feel compelled to answer... just putting it out there
    Because WB needed to reboot the movies I guess?

I'm not sure why comparing GL to Flash is supposed to make it sound better? Both franchises have similar problems that keep them down.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure why comparing GL to Flash is supposed to make it sound better? Both franchises have similar problems that keep them down.
    Well, Flash at least doesn't have a failed movie hanging over its head like the GL franchise does.

Well, Flash at least doesn't have a failed movie hanging over its head like the GL franchise does.
    I'll be surprised if Flashpoint movie won't do just that.