Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Now for some real news:

HBO Max 'skews male' and has 'appointment viewing,' while Discovery+ 'skews female' and has 'comfort viewing'. This graphic shows how the services differ ahead of their merging next summer.

EDIT: I have no idea why business insider dot com is censored on this site. Here is a link, just remove the space between business and insider:

https://www.business insider.com/hbo-max-skews-male-home-fandoms-discovery-plus-genredoms-merger-2022-8

Here is an actual graphic from Discovery that shows how they view each service:

What do they mean by "genredom"? How is it any different from a "fandom"?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Fandoms would be more like universes of distinct, recognized fictional characters with dedicated communities of followers. Genredoms seem to mean broader nonfiction categories. Homemaking shows, documentaries, romance shows, survival shows etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    What is "appointment viewing"?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What is "appointment viewing"?
    Sunday at 9PM! Clear your Calendar cause it's GAME OF THRONES TIME!!!

That is appointment viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Now for some real news:

HBO Max 'skews male' and has 'appointment viewing,' while Discovery+ 'skews female' and has 'comfort viewing'. This graphic shows how the services differ ahead of their merging next summer.

EDIT: I have no idea why business insider dot com is censored on this site. Here is a link, just remove the space between business and insider:

https://www.business insider.com/hbo-max-skews-male-home-fandoms-discovery-plus-genredoms-merger-2022-8

Here is an actual graphic from Discovery that shows how they view each service:

They’ve said the gender skew is based on demographic percentage. So research and not just their opinions on who should be watching these services. This was just a very poorly done slide that can be misconstrued and make for some bad PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Fandoms would be more like universes of distinct, recognized fictional characters with dedicated communities of followers. Genredoms seem to mean broader nonfiction categories. Homemaking shows, documentaries, romance shows, survival shows etc.
    Do people who watch police procedurals count as genredoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They’ve said the gender skew is based on demographic percentage. So research and not just their opinions on who should be watching these services. This was just a very poorly done slide that can be misconstrued and make for some bad PR.
    I'm not misconstruing (although I've seen that happen elsewhere) here. The headline I linked to pretty much says this is how the services differ based on data. It doesn't say that they'll only do male skewed shows post merger. Logically with both services on one platform they should be targeting multiple demographics.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I think it's clear by now the new management aren't very in touch with... much of anything, much less the properties they bought or the audience attached.

They just took away 200 episodes of Sesame Street and an Elmo show! I don't know what they're doing any more.

Given recent events, I expected Zaslav to be controversial going forward, but I didn't expect him to be a total idiot.

Zaslav’s green lighting of the movie Wise Guys has led to some turmoil behind the scenes at WBD. Toby Emmerich refused to move forward with the film believing it will lose money so he was fired. Zaslav personally green lit the movie and WB chairman Mike De Luca had no say in the manner.

Zaslav green lit the film because screenwriter Nick Pileggi is his golfing buddy from the Hamptons. The film will be directed by Barry Levinson who is 80 years old and who’s last film Rock the Kasbah made $3m worldwide. Pileggi also hasn’t written a theatrical feature since 1996.
    Last edited by Serpico Jones; 08-19-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Zaslav’s green lighting of the movie Wise Guys has led to some turmoil behind the scenes at WBD. Toby Emmerich refused to move forward with the film believing it will lose money so he was fired. Zaslav personally green lit the movie and WB chairman Mike De Luca had no say in the manner.

Zaslav green lit the film because screenwriter Nick Pileggi is his golfing buddy from the Hamptons. The film will be directed by Barry Levinson who is 80 years old and who’s last film Rock the Kasbah made $3m worldwide. Pileggi also hasn’t written a theatrical feature since 1996.
    Since the Batgirl Fiasko the company is dead to me anyway. Just sitting over here, watching them burying themselves, spending my money elsewhere.

At this point I feel Zaslav is going to completely destroy WB and sell it off piece by piece to the highest bidder. The big question will be who gets DC, although WB filmography, CN and Looney Tunes/Hanna Barbera are huge gets as well
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They just took away 200 episodes of Sesame Street and an Elmo show! I don't know what they're doing any more.
    Sesame Street? They’re screwing over Sesame Street?! Yeah there’s truly no bottom for Zaslav.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

It's funny because there was a whole puff piece about Zaslav about how he doesn't care about maintaining relations with important creatives like Clint Eastwood if he doesn't think they'll make money but he makes exceptions for his friends. Funny stuff man lol

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    At this point I feel Zaslav is going to completely destroy WB and sell it off piece by piece to the highest bidder. The big question will be who gets DC, although WB filmography, CN and Looney Tunes/Hanna Barbera are huge gets as well
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if many of these different IPs they have get sold for cash infusions. I think they'll hold onto WB filmography, DC, HBO, and Looney Tunes but anything else could easily be sold. Especially CN considering it seems they are taking an axe to animation