Page 690 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1905906406806866876886896906916926936947007407901190 ... LastLast
Results 10,336 to 10,350 of 20948
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the Justice Society is Plan B now that the Justice League franchise is done for the foreseeable future. Johns has been trying to bring them more mainstream attention for years. Black Adam could be the start of a new line of superhero team up films starring the JSA.
    I hope you are right. The JL characters aren't that interesting to begin with and aside from Cavill and Momoa the actors have all brought enough baggage to the table. Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Someone probably will correct me on this, but from what I remember WW in New 52 Justice League was happy to kill things and that was written by Johns.
    After Doomsday Clock, Three Jokers and WW84 I have lost all faith in Johns
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-08-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

I haven’t had faith in Johns for years, but I’d point out that being kill happy with Parademons is not unique to Johns. They’ve been fair game since the DCAu of not earlier

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Someone probably will correct me on this, but from what I remember WW in New 52 Justice League was happy to kill things and that was written by Johns.
    So what, even with Aquaman he had him kill occasionally, but its universally acknowledged that he remade Aquaman into an awesome character from the laughing stock he was reduced by previous writers.

The difference is that Johns in Aquaman and Shazam movies, you can see his fingerprints on them, making them a beacon of hope or positivity, not takes, that require the audiences to go to seek mental therapists after watching a movie.

I repeat Geoff Johns is not perfect but nobody can deny that most of the best that came out in DC comics in the last decades has his mark. Had there been no Johns, Didio would have plunged DC into new lows. Take Rebirth, a Johns creation, rarely the Dc fan base was so full of enthusiasm as at the beginning of Rebirth, pity that Didio screwed it.
    Johns is far from perfect, but I trust him with these characters whom he knows inside out. Knows what works and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I hope you are right. The JL characters aren't that interesting to begin with and aside from Cavill and Momoa the actors have all brought enough baggage to the table. Enough.

After Doomsday Clock, Three Jokers and WW84 I have lost all faith in Johns
    After Aquaman movie my faith in him increased. He managed to make what was a laughing stock character into a billion plus movie.

3 Jokers sold 300k issues a huge success.
    Doomsday was another huge seller.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 01-08-2021 at 03:08 AM.

Why are you pointing out the sales for 3 Jokers and Doomsday Clock? The dude said he lost faith in him, not that he became unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why are you pointing out the sales for 3 Jokers and Doomsday Clock? The dude said he lost faith in him, not that he became unsuccessful.
    Personal tastes is subjective, what matters at the end of the day is the commercial success.
    Its a fact what he touches is a seller.
    I believe DC is happy with the results. If comic don't sell there won't be comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Personal tastes is subjective, what matters at the end of the day is the commercial success.
    I believe DC is happy with the results. If comic don't sell there won't be comics.
    But he wasn't saying that DC should fire Geoff Johns, he just said that he doesn't like him anymore. So your "contribution" was out of place. It's like me saying I don't like to read Stephen King, and then you point out his sales. Why the f**k would that matter to me or to the other guy?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

After Aquaman movie my faith in him increased. He managed to make what was a laughing stock character into a billion plus movie.

3 Jokers sold 300k issues a huge success.
    Doomsday was another huge seller.
    He wrote Aquaman much earlier and I have read and liked it (even his JSA, Batman Earth One and Green Lantern) but I think like Jeph Loeb GJ has written great stuff at first, then at some point ran out of good ideas. As for Aquaman's success Transformers is successful, too doesn't make those flicks good Cinema.

Same here. Those books sold on name recognition and Fabok's art but will someone like them for their story and dialogue?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    He wrote Aquaman much earlier and I have read and liked it (even his JSA, Batman Earth One and Green Lantern) but I think like Jeph Loeb GJ has written great stuff at first, then at some point ran out of good ideas. As for Aquaman's success Transformers is successful, too doesn't make those flicks good Cinema.

Same here. Those books sold on name recognition and Fabok's art but will someone like them for their story and dialogue?
    Please the narrative that Aquaman was a success but not a good movie is sorry to say nonsense. It was a awesome movie, it also had an awesome director who put into the movie a touch of adventure, fantasy, horror, romance, fun, all ingredients that worked very well with the audiences. It was what a superhero movie should be. Fullstop
    These are superhero not Shakespeare plays. These are movies that people go to watch for fun and nothing else, certainly not needing a mental therapist after watching them.

If the Johns book sold based on name and art recognition only, it wont explain how they kept selling well see Doomsday. There have been lots of books with Awesome art and great names writing them and they sank.
    The public is the ultimate judge, not personal likes.
    Personally I liked certain runs in comics but they turned to be a flop with the public. Logic tells me that tastes are subjective but it can be all the people who dropped those books are wrong and I am correct.

For DC sure but for him, his personal opinion is all that matters lol. He's saying that he personally lost faith in Johns. No sales will change that

Astonishing Member

After Aquaman movie my faith in him increased. He managed to make what was a laughing stock character into a billion plus movie..
    Peter David did the bearded shirtless bad ass version of Aquaman in the comics way before Geoff Johns touched the character. PAD is more responsible for turning the character from the Superfriend who talks to fish into the undersea warrior king than anyone else.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I said in my post that Johns wasn't perfect. But anytime Johns over Snyder.
    That said, have you seen Diana posing with severed heads in her hand, as snyder intended? its repulsive and offensive. No, his take is not what is needed for these movies.
    I'll take her (limited but celebrated) performance in BvS as a better indicator than a concept picture.

I do credit snyder for excellent casting, especially Momoa and Gadot. However his vision for these movies goes against what these characters have always been. He indulges too much in personal views than making what is right. His 300 movie is another example of his indulging in personal takes, that movie is full of historical inaccuracies and even visually. Spartan fighting bare chested and resorting to martial arts made historians die with laughter.
    Back to the DCEU, he brings a dark and violent vision, that with exception to his cult, it is not sold to the rest. With Batman and Superman, the two most popular comic character in the Milky Way, you get a box office of well over a billion and not instead getting even close to 1 billion. BvS is a prime example how with two such popular characters your take isn't embraced by the audiences. Whilst Marvel with Captain Marvel, a practically unknown character to non comic fans, pulverizes Batman and superman at BO, Its unacceptable.
    The historical inaccuracies are from Frank Miller's 300, who was creating more of a mythic retelling than a historical representation of the events.

We all know BvS was polarizing, but I don't think Snyder made any character decisions as bad as Johns retconning Barry Allen's origin, or Diana "dealing with" her enemies.

Making an unknown character that ties into an existing cinematic framework is a different challenge to translating 20th century icons to a modern audience in any case.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Peter David did the bearded shirtless bad ass version of Aquaman in the comics way before Geoff Johns touched the character. PAD is more responsible for turning the character from the Superfriend who talks to fish into the undersea warrior king than anyone else.
    Yep. It's Peter David's aesthetic, Momoa's bro-humor, and aspects of the mythos that Johns reworked in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    The historical inaccuracies are from Frank Miller's 300, who was creating more of a mythic retelling than a historical representation of the events.

We all know BvS was polarizing, but I don't think Snyder made any character decisions as bad as Johns retconning Barry Allen's origin, or Diana "dealing with" her enemies.

Making an unknown character that ties into an existing cinematic framework is a different challenge to translating 20th century icons to a modern audience in any case.
    Batman planning to execute a guy and talking about being a "hunter" was pretty bad for me. And after Snyder showed a picture of the placeholder for Diana in the past as Wonder Woman, that would've been as bad (if not worse) as that Johns line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Modern Aquaman basically owes a lot to Geoff Johns though.

So what, even with Aquaman he had him kill occasionally, but its universally acknowledged that he remade Aquaman into an awesome character from the laughing stock he was reduced by previous writers.
    Well you complained about Snyder having WW with severed head so I pointed out that Johns had fairly similar take on her. I'm not sure what Aquaman has to do with it now.