Page 803 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3037037537937998008018028038048058068078138539031303 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The only reason I'm somewhat relieved they are most likely keeping it as Clark (even if racebent) is that if they did a Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod movie and it was a hit, I don't for a moment trust WB to not retire Clark from films indefinitely and just focus on making movies with the others. It would be the last "**** you" to Superman. It wouldn't at all be the fault of the other characters, but I wouldn't remotely put it past this studio to find a way to make money off the name and symbol but abandon the actual main character to make life easier for themselves.

Under ideal circumstances where we had a shared film DCU (or just a Superman universe) that wasn't a mess? We'd get a Superman's own films and spin offs across his franchise and multiverse: Supergirl, Legion, Steel and Calvin Ellis. It'd be neat to see Calvin and Clark team up, Calvin getting his own movie and/or leading an ensemble cast in a Multiversity movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Well you can keep your race swap! I’ll stay forever laughing that Marvel could make Miles popular and give him a film (and game) but DC can’t do the same for Val Zod or Calvin Ellis! What benefit does making Clark Black have towards diversifying DC
    We are getting a Blue Beetle and a Static movie which are in the same creative phase as the black Superman movie. Lets not act like DC isn't doing anything with their existing minority characters.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    We are getting a Blue Beetle and a Static movie which are in the same creative phase as the black Superman movie. Lets not act like DC isn't doing anything with their existing minority characters.
    The argument wasn't that they were not doing anything, just not as much as they could.

Incredible Member

This is an interesting article. It even mentions Superman.

Box Office: Hollywood Is Using Diversity To Justify Potentially Doomed Franchise Reboots

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=4364792a3a3e

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just because it's not officially been confirmed doesn't mean that the writing isn't on the wall in bold type.
    Ah, so no one has said it's Clark Kent, then.
    I lean towards Calvin Ellis because:

1. Ellis is getting a pretty big push in the comics.
    2. Kent is being retired as Superman in favor of his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it's a black Kal-El, apparently...

Well, Calvin Ellis's Kryptonian name is also Kal-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    This is an interesting article. It even mentions Superman.

Box Office: Hollywood Is Using Diversity To Justify Potentially Doomed Franchise Reboots

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=4364792a3a3e

Kinda silly. People of color can fail just like white people can.
    Nobody says Jon Carter failed because the actor is white.
    If the movie is bad then it will fail regardless who the lead is.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Kinda silly. People of color can fail just like white people can.
    Nobody says Jon Carter failed because the actor is white.
    If the movie is bad then it will fail regardless who the lead is.
    Absolutely, but the fear is that if it fails, the failure will be pinned more on "people didn't want a black Superman" instead of "the movie was bad."

WB have been known to historically always learn the wrong lessons from their failures so the concern they'd do it again is a fair one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Absolutely, but the fear is that if it fails, the failure will be pinned more on "people didn't want a black Superman" instead of "the movie was bad."

WB have been known to historically always learn the wrong lessons from their failures so the concern they'd do it again is a fair one.
    I've yet to see WB pin the failure of a movie or TV show on diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I've yet to see WB pin the failure of a movie or TV show on diversity.
    Not externally, but I do remember when Jeff Robinov quashed Wonder Woman projects because he felt women couldn't lead action movies, and ComicsGate will take any chance they can to **** on anything that isn't a muscular straight white man, so I can see the usual outlets getting their complaints in and pointing to subject rather than execution. I'm far too cynical to believe the executives at WB will look at the failure of their project and think "we messed up" as opposed to "people don't want Superman/a black Superman/a positive hero/etc."

After Superman Returns their belief was he should be portrayed as an angry god because The Dark Knight was successful but not Superman Returns... to Break Up a Family.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I still find it weird that Steel isn't getting another shot. John Henry Irons is like Superman mixed with Iron Man and he is black. You would think Steel would at least make an appearance in one of these DC shows.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I still find it weird that Steel isn't getting another shot. John Henry Irons is like Superman mixed with Iron Man and he is black. You would think Steel would at least make an appearance in one of these DC shows.
    DC has a staple of excellent black characters that would be wonderful for adaption. Steel's just the tip of the spear. I'd be there opening night for a Steel movie.

I really wish Irons got more play, he’s been one of my favorite Superfamily members since I first read Reign. I was thrilled when they finally did a proper adaption of Reign to bring him in on the animated side (sadly the universe ended almost immediately after lol). Hope he gets a mini or a spot on a team book in the comics, and that they bring him back into the new animated universe soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I feel like the Shaq movie soured his rep forever, which isn't fair because Catwoman was able to bounce back and so was Elektra (on a much smaller scale).
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

When was the last time you remember people talking about the Shaq movie? It doesn't really have a presence in pop culture.