Page 920 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4208208709109169179189199209219229239249309701020 ... LastLast
Results 13,786 to 13,800 of 20948
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I wonder if it's too late to cash in on that 89' nostalgia with the Flash. I don't want to make people feel old, but at this point there are going to be kids going to the theaters who have parents that are too young to remember the Keaton movies. Plus even if there were, cashing out on that nostalgia with the Flash is blatantly desperate. I'm hearing about how that Sopranos prequel movie did pretty poorly possibly because people moved on from the Sopranos a long time ago.
    The Sopranos prequel movie received positive reviews and was a hit for HBO Max. However, like you said it bombed at the box office and got mixed reactions from audiences.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I can't even sit through the whole Batman trailer. All I can see is the waster opportunity of the solo batfleck movie. Like, Robert Pattinson doesn't work for me, neither has Batman nor Bruce Wayne here. And King burned any good will I had for Catwoman, so her being there and so prominently is a net loss for me.
    Catwoman and her romance with Batman have been part of the mainstream since LONG before King ever touched them, which is why she keeps being used. Even if King's take was ultimately bad (it was), it really is only a footnote in their shared publication history and media presence, so I wouldn't expect any of its influence in this movie.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Catwoman and her romance with Batman have been part of the mainstream since LONG before King ever touched them, which is why she keeps being used.
    It's been there as far back as her first appearance, so I'm in total agreement with you.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Is Jim Lee teasing a live action COIE or what? https://youtu.be/RADmFACrWWQ?t=12243

Some page back, Vakanai theorized it as a possible future WB/DC project.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Catwoman and her romance with Batman have been part of the mainstream since LONG before King ever touched them, which is why she keeps being used. Even if King's take was ultimately bad (it was), it really is only a footnote in their shared publication history and media presence, so I wouldn't expect any of its influence in this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's been there as far back as her first appearance, so I'm in total agreement with you.
    Being fair, the length of the existence of the concept of the Batman/Catwoman romance doesn't disbar it from becoming a spoiled and distasteful concept to someone due to a particularly poorly executed and received iteration of it, as is the case for Korath regarding King's iteration.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Being fair, the length of the existence of the concept of the Batman/Catwoman romance doesn't disbar it from becoming a spoiled and distasteful concept to someone due to a particularly poorly executed and received iteration of it, as is the case for Korath regarding King's iteration.
    This is fair.

I still like Selina and Bruce, but I can't argue that the King run's influence going forward will sour it for me. "Bat" and "Cat" will never not sound stupid.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is fair.

I still like Selina and Bruce, but I can't argue that the King run's influence going forward will sour it for me. "Bat" and "Cat" will never not sound stupid.
    I think personally it helps that mainstream comic Bruce has been more or less dead to me for a while now, so if Bat/Cat is spoiled there, it's just one more thing to add to the pile. Nothing Tom King does would be able to ruin it for me, we have plenty of alternative takes on it. And movies count for more anyway.

Well, now I'm glad I skipped King's run.

I wonder if it's too late to cash in on that 89' nostalgia with the Flash. I don't want to make people feel old, but at this point there are going to be kids going to the theaters who have parents that are too young to remember the Keaton movies. Plus even if there were, cashing out on that nostalgia with the Flash is blatantly desperate. I'm hearing about how that Sopranos prequel movie did pretty poorly possibly because people moved on from the Sopranos a long time ago.
    If anything, it will be Keaton himself that will be the draw. He's experienced a career resurgence from being in 'Robocop' to 'Birdman' to Vulture in 'Spider-Man Homecoming' to the 'Founder' and 'Tony Story '.

I think they wanted to do 'Flashpoint' and just needed somebody to fill in the Thomas Wayne-Batman role.

Though I wish they gave him an actual Flash franchise character to play. He would make a sick Eobard Thawn or Hunter Zolomon.

I imagine the writing and character dynamics for the relationship in the movie will come off far more natural than they did in King's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I imagine the writing and character dynamics for the relationship in the movie will come off far more natural than they did in King's run.
    Odds are they will.

They have a boatload of other influences to pull from without the need to ever touch a Tom King Batman comic. I imagine TLH/DV will be an influence, and that's one of the few areas those books were pretty good at.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That's actually a good point. A lot of casual fans who got into DC media in the early 2000's, maybe from the Nolan Batman films and JL cartoon, probably don't consider it an iconic milestone. We've also had 3 live-action jokers since then, all clearly more recognizeable than Nicholson's. And I don't see it on TV that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That's actually a good point. A lot of casual fans who got into DC media in the early 2000's, maybe from the Nolan Batman films and JL cartoon, probably don't consider it an iconic milestone. We've also had 3 live-action jokers since then, all clearly more recognizeable than Nicholson's. And I don't see it on TV that often.
    Well, comparatively Nicholson's Joker was probably the most "classic" Joker of the live-action movie versions so I don't think it would be too hard to jive with that.

Well, comparatively Nicholson's Joker was probably the most "classic" Joker of the live-action movie versions so I don't think it would be too hard to jive with that.
    true, for the record I am not dissing the legacies of Burtan's Batman or the Sopranos for that matter. Both are still beloved properties that contributed a lot to their respective genres. But are they really hot commodities right now?
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 10-17-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

true, for the record I am not dissing the legacies of Burtan's Batman or the Sopranos for that matter. Both are still beloved properties that contributed a lot to their respective genres. But are they really hot commodities right now?
    Right, I think most fans can enjoy the 89 elements, but it might not be the pull the studio thinks it is.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Outside of casting two planks of oak and drawing Batman and Catwoman on them, I funny know how else you'd match the scintillating passion witnessed under his pen.

I've never seen an artist have to do so much of the heavy lifting to sell romantic chemistry as I did during the times I bombed into that run for the art.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.