Thanks, that’s not saying they will or even that anyone at WBD wants to however. But their plan to keep quiet and hope this blows over has clearly failed, the media is watching Ezra like a hawk and every fuckup they make is going to get an article. They are absolutely going to be asking Keaton and Calle for comment about Miller during the press tour, and God only knows how things will unfold if WBD actually tries to get Ezra out there lol
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

WB Discovery has been canceling the wrong movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Is there any other movie that got to do a press tour without the main actor?
    Last year's West Side Story comes to mind with the promotion and press rounds downplaying Ansel Elgort's involvement even though he was the lead or at least a co-lead.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I was firmly in the camp that there was no way WB shelves it for anything short of Miller on trial for murder.

But yeah...it's getting so bad that I'm not sure how WB can proceed without drastically altering its release plans. What boggles my mind is how they don't have someone fly to wherever Miller is and get him under lock & key. Studios don't protect or cover for their stars like they used to.
    They can't, National Inquirer and then Social Media did away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Deadline latest update hints canceling The Flash is now on the table for WBD.
    It's just speculation. Just like people on here. WBD is just sitting back PRAYING that Ezra will go hide in Vermont and not do or say anything for a year. And actually, I am too...LOL...

WBD stock down 19%.

Astonishing Member

warner-bros-discovery-sesame-street-hbo-max

Warner Bros. Discovery Execs Speak Out on ‘Batgirl’: ‘Our Job Is to Protect the DC Brand’

Rrriight.

so, cancel Batgirl, don't cancel Ezra's Flash and What about Sesame Street?
    Last edited by scary harpy; 08-09-2022 at 06:06 PM.

I can't think even Zaslav wants the heat for canceling Sesame Street.

At this point I would fire Miller and look into getting some one else to take over the part for the movies.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    warner-bros-discovery-sesame-street-hbo-max

Warner Bros. Discovery Execs Speak Out on ‘Batgirl’: ‘Our Job Is to Protect the DC Brand’

Rrriight.

so, cancel Batgirl, don't cancel Ezra's Flash and What about Sesame Street?
    All of a sudden I'm feeling very stabby!
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Here's my two cents on this whole Batgirl debacle...

Every studio appears to be trying to copy the Cinematic Universe model Marvel created. Sony, Universal, Paramount, WB, and even Disney with Star Wars. And I get it. If you can make $1 billion a movie because it's connected to a bigger storyline, why not try especially if you have IPs that are contusive to a shared universe approach? Prior to Marvel, the most we got to a shared universe in television or film were spin-offs and cameo appearances.

But the thing none of these studios realize is that Marvel got off to a somewhat shaky start before Avengers kind of brought everything together. With the exception of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 (the latter of which, while financially successful, was not a critical or fan darling), the other three movies in Phase 1 were only moderately successful commercially and from a fan & critical response. But Marvel stayed patient and pushed everything towards Avengers. The rest was of course history, and it's changed the landscape for movies ever since.

If you're not patient and not willing to weather the initial storm, then you're not going to succeed. A shared universe approach is fine, but you have to understand not every film will make $1 billion out the gate. It took Marvel a few years to get to that point. You also need good writing and a figurehead who will push things in the right direction.

And yes, doing a shared universe approach while simultaneously doing films like Joker and The Batman is counterproductive. Those movies may be financially successful but they won't succeed in getting WB to the model their trying to emulate. They also cause unnecessary division among fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    They also cause unnecessary division among fans.
    As an aside, this could just be me, but at least as far as the comics go, DC has never really seemed to care about causing division amongst it's fans. Not saying I care either way, but if they cared, they wouldn't seem to constantly make decisions that sew it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

TV Line just revealed that the Black Canary movie is in development at HBO MAX.

It doesn't make sense since Discovery announce that they wouldn't be making any movies for HBO Max anymore.

The article also includes tweets that Jurnee Smollet made when the movie was first announced. That was last year. She hasn't posted or tweeted in months about the movie.
    Deadline, Variety, or The Hollywood Reporter ( which I consider more reliable sources) didn't mention in their articles that the movie was going forward either. I think this TV line article is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    As an aside, this could just be me, but at least as far as the comics go, DC has never really seemed to care about causing division amongst it's fans. Not saying I care either way, but if they cared, they wouldn't seem to constantly make decisions that sew it.
    Stan Lee allegedly had a saying that you never give the fans what they think they want. Whether he actually said that or not, it's true that you can't worry or go about your business trying to please everyone. However, and taking The Batman as an example, you have a situation in which the same character being played by two different characters are actively competing against one another with fans. Sure, many fans are perfectly fine with both Ben Affleck and Robert Pattison playing Batman. But it's also true that many fans are not. So why put yourself in that situation? I liked The Batman, but there was nothing groundbreaking or fresh about it. But a movie with Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum fighting Deathstroke and the Arkham inmates (as was the rumored plot of Ben Affleck's Batman film)? That would have been worth seeing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    TV Line just revealed that the Black Canary movie is in development at HBO MAX.

It doesn't make sense since Discovery announce that they wouldn't be making any movies for HBO Max anymore.

The article also includes tweets that Jurnee Smollet made when the movie was first announced. That was last year. She hasn't posted or tweeted in months about the movie.
    Deadline, Variety, or The Hollywood Reporter ( which I consider more reliable sources) didn't mention in their articles that the movie was going forward either. I think this TV line article is fake.
    There's also a report that the GLC series is still happening, which recent actions and news with HBO Max does not support.

My hunch is that WBD won't officially cancel any DC projects until the Batgirl news dies down and they have a firm plan in place for their future filmverse. They can keep GLC and Black Canary "in development" forever.