Page 992 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 492892942982988989990991992993994995996100210421092 ... LastLast
Results 14,866 to 14,880 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yes, Year One is a pretty good origin story and did a great job highlighting what made Barbara tick. And honestly, I think Babs deserved her lighter Burnside break as well. The Simone run had been too dark (which Gail revealed was editorial mandated) so both the character and her readers needed something fluffier and less depressing to recuperate with. Burnside served its purpose at the time.
    I get that. I just think it was maybe a little too fluffy to the point of infantilizing her a little.

Year One started the trend of infantalizing her and her Batgirl years. Burnside continued that but it was also a necessary tonal break from Simone's run which went too far in darkening her character.

Babs was only called BatGIRL because the Batwoman name was already taken. She was always meant to be a more mature character. Guys like Killer Moth were standard Batman villains of the time not toned down threats/joke villains for her to fight. I remember Dini talking about her DCAU incarnation and how they didn't want to tone down the level of threat she faced and sure enough she is helping Batman fight killer robots, Two Face, a corrupt DA, Catwoman and Roland Daggett on the show. Anyway, I don't mind her wearing the Burnside outfit and even some humor and lightness in her stories, so long as the character is taken seriously and she is facing the threats that are the same level as what Batman usually deals with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Year One started the trend of infantalizing her and her Batgirl years. Burnside continued that but it was also a necessary tonal break from Simone's run which went too far in darkening her character.

Babs was only called BatGIRL because the Batwoman name was already taken. She was always meant to be a more mature character. Guys like Killer Moth were standard Batman villains of the time not toned down threats/joke villains for her to fight. I remember Dini talking about her DCAU incarnation and how they didn't want to tone down the level of threat she faced and sure enough she is helping Batman fight killer robots, Two Face, a corrupt DA, Catwoman and Roland Daggett on the show. Anyway, I don't mind her wearing the Burnside outfit and even some humor and lightness in her stories, so long as the character is taken seriously and she is facing the threats that are the same level as what Batman usually deals with.
    Only in the sense of depicting her closer to Dick's age compared to Pre-Crisis, although she still came off older than him in the context of the story (not that it stopped him from kissing her).

She came off plenty mature, just a rookie as a vigilante.

Ultimate Member

I'm surprised she's purple considering the trend of Bat-media in live action for the past 20 years has been black or grey.

I think it may have been a deliberate play to move away from the ultra-dark tone of the early DCEU stuff. I don’t expect a fluffy movie by any means but the costume has me thinking it’ll be more lighthearted than something like BVS or the Reeves Batman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I think it may have been a deliberate play to move away from the ultra-dark tone of the early DCEU stuff. I don’t expect a fluffy movie by any means but the costume has me thinking it’ll be more lighthearted than something like BVS or the Reeves Batman movie.
    If I remember right the directors have said they're aiming for something gritty and emotionally resonant (or something to that effect).

It's hard to really gauge tone just from a costume although I guess since Keaton's in it it might be in-line with the tone of his movies.

So Bruce Wayne is going to be older than Commissioner Gordon in this new universe. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So Bruce Wayne is going to be older than Commissioner Gordon in this new universe. Weird.
    Actors don’t always play characters the same age as them. Tom Welling played a teen Clark despite being in his twenties when he was cast iirc
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    How would that be possible when Jeffrey Wright is 20 years older than Robert Pattinson. This isn't like casting an actor in their mid-20s as a high schooler. Wright is 56, whatever they did to try to make Gordon look younger since he isn't a commissioner yet, he can't logically be younger than Bruce.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-16-2022 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    How would that be possible when Jeffrey Wright is 20 years older than Robert Pattinson. This isn't like casting an actor in their mid-20s as a high schooler. Wright is 56, whatever they did to try to make Gordon look younger since he isn't a commissioner yet, he can't logically be younger than Bruce.
    They were talking about Michael Keaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    They were talking about Michael Keaton.
    Keaton and JK Simmons have a negligible 3 year difference in real life. It can just be retconned to them being about the same age when they started out, like a version of Batman: Year One with a Gordon closer in age to Bruce.

Well, old Batman, old Gordon...

This whole Batman confusion has got me craving for a flashpoint reset or just crisis everything together into something that makes sense

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks good to me.

Alysia Yeoh (still don’t have the actress’ name$.