View Poll Results: Most Notable Titles

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • NEW COMICS

    1 7.14%
  • NEW FUN COMICS

    5 35.71%
  • BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS

    0 0%
  • MORE FUN COMICS

    7 50.00%
  • NEW BOOK OF COMICS

    0 0%
  • DETECTIVE COMICS

    9 64.29%
  • FEATURE FUNNIES

    0 0%
  • NEW ADVENTURE COMICS

    1 7.14%
  • ACTION COMICS

    11 78.57%
  • ADVENTURE COMICS

    7 50.00%
  • ALL-AMERICAN COMICS

    5 35.71%
  • BLUE BEETLE

    2 14.29%
  • FEATURE COMICS

    1 7.14%
  • MOVIE COMICS

    0 0%
  • MUTT & JEFF

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Most Notable DC Titles: 1935 - 1939

    Which of these titles would you say are the most notable, the most important, the best or merely your favorite? Choose as many as you like.

  2. #2
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,924

    Default

    Not all of those titles were published by DC Comics, and I'm not sure DC even has the rights to some of the material that was included in them.

  3. #3
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not all of those titles were published by DC Comics, and I'm not sure DC even has the rights to some of the material that was included in them.
    Most of them are now in the hands of the D.C. publishing house. A lot of material has fallen in the public domain--so nobody "owns" it--but that means D.C. is just as free to use it as anyone else. And D.C. still has the trademark on a lot of the stuff--so they can use the actual names of characters on covers and not change them like the rip-off artists at Dynamite have done.

    Everything there on the poll was either National Allied, Detective Comics, All-American or one of their colophons--whch all became National Comics in the late 1940s--with these notable exceptions:

    FEATURE FUNNIES/FEATURE COMICS which was a Quality title--but National bought up Quality properties--Doll Man is the most famous character from the FEATURE run.

    And BLUE BEETLE which was a Fox title, then a Holyoke title and then again a Fox title. Charlton revived that version of the Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett) in the 1950s. Then Charlton revived him again in the 1960s, but with a lot of facts about Dan Garrett changed. I'm not sure if Charlton had the right to use the Fox version of the character, so maybe that's why they changed him in the 1960s. That Dan Garrett then gave way to the Ted Kord Blue Beetle. When D.C. bought up the Charlton properties, they got both Blue Beetles from the 1960s, but not the original Fox version. Even so, they may own the trademark on the name, so no one else can use it (but I'm not certain about that).

    Edit edit: Oh yes and MUTT & JEFF was published by All-American--so it was a "D.C." title at the time. But they were licensed to All-American-D.C.-National. It was a long running title for the company running into the 1950s, when another publisher--Dell in 1958 and then Harvey in 1960--got the license and continued the title with the same numbering.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-15-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

  4. #4
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    I would say the most notable comic is NEW FUN. It was never called NEW FUN COMICS--just NEW FUN. That was the first comic that National Allied put out and it was called "NEW" because previous comic books just had reprints of comic strips with some new filler--but NEW FUN relied on the idea of putting out all new material.

    Of course, Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson might have done this because he couldn't afford to pay the syndicates to reprint their comic strips. And the material in NEW FUN was formatted as if these were reprints of comic strips. It took someone like Joe Shuster to break away from that layout style and use the potential of the comic book page.

    NEW COMICS, the companion to NEW FUN, was introduced later that year. But then to avoid confusion NEW FUN changed its title to MORE FUN and then MORE FUN COMICS, while NEW COMICS became NEW ADVENTURE COMICS and then just ADVENTURE COMICS.

    Anyway, NEW FUN is the comic book that changed the industry and it's the reason we have the comic books we have today with all new material.
    WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    OK so now that I've finally gotten through the last century, I'll explain a little. I'm getting all of these from the DC Wiki site. So if there are any errors or omissions...

    I'm including both original DC titles and any from competitors that they now have the rights to. And I'm including any renamed titles as if they are new (hence the appearance above of both NEW FUN and MORE FUN, for example).

    AND, for better or worse I chose not to include subsequent volumes (though now I wish I had). So the first volume of a title is the only time you'll find it on these polls. Also, I chose to include one-shots as well (though now I wish I hadn't--just too damn many of them later in the 20th century).

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    And the lead here so far is ACTION COMICS!

    Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.35.37 AM.jpg

  7. #7
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    I only voted for NEW FUN (as explained above), but if I had voted for others, I'd put them in this historical order:

    • NEW FUN (first new material comic)
    • NEW COMICS (a note to follow FUN--and it became ADVENTURE COMICS)
    • DETECTIVE COMICS (a bittersweet development since it was the comic where Donenfeld and Liebowitz bought out Wheeler-Nicholson, but it's why they became D.C.)
    • ACTION COMICS
    • ALL-AMERICAN COMICS (the flagship title for publisher M.C. Gaines in partnership with distributor Liebowitz)
    • MOVIE COMICS (because it features work by Jack Adler, who became a legendary production man)
    • MUTT & JEFF (a reprint comic started by Gaines, but it had one of the longest runs through different publishers)
    WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

  8. #8
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    And the lead here so far is ACTION COMICS!

    Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.35.37 AM.jpg
    And one vote behind Action Comics is



    More Fun Comics.

  9. #9
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    Funnily enough, if you added the votes for NEW FUN [COMICS] and MORE FUN COMICS, that title would have the most votes. And comically, if you added NEW COMICS and NEW ADVENTURE COMICS and ADVENTURE COMICS, that title would be tied with ACTION COMICS. But that's just how polls work sometimes--I'm not making a serious argument that this would have happened, so don't get angry with me. I'm just having MORE FUN with the NEW COMICS numbers.
    WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

  10. #10
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Funnily enough, if you added the votes for NEW FUN [COMICS] and MORE FUN COMICS, that title would have the most votes. And comically, if you added NEW COMICS and NEW ADVENTURE COMICS and ADVENTURE COMICS, that title would be tied with ACTION COMICS. But that's just how polls work sometimes--I'm not making a serious argument that this would have happened, so don't get angry with me. I'm just having MORE FUN with the NEW COMICS numbers.
    But your logic falls flat on a poll like this that allows people more than one vote.
    One person could have voted for each version of a single title, which by your counting means that person could have voted 2-or-3 times for one title.
    Action Comics is only listed once, so a person can't vote for it multiple times.

  11. #11
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But your logic falls flat on a poll like this that allows people more than one vote.
    One person could have voted for each version of a single title, which by your counting means that person could have voted 2-or-3 times for one title.
    Action Comics is only listed once, so a person can't vote for it multiple times.
    I don't know how many more words I have to attach to each post to cover myself. I thought I had said enough in my previous post to avoid this kind of reprimand that I foresaw coming. I may have to put a boiler plate legal statement in my signature, just to avoid any further castigations. Or just not bother posting--which is probably what I should do.
    WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know how many more words I have to attach to each post to cover myself. I thought I had said enough in my previous post to avoid this kind of reprimand that I foresaw coming. I may have to put a boiler plate legal statement in my signature, just to avoid any further castigations. Or just not bother posting--which is probably what I should do.
    Please don't do that. But here I was wondering why someone would vote for New Adventure since it was neither the first nor the lasting version. But now I see it could be the same person.

  13. #13
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know how many more words I have to attach to each post to cover myself. I thought I had said enough in my previous post to avoid this kind of reprimand that I foresaw coming. I may have to put a boiler plate legal statement in my signature, just to avoid any further castigations. Or just not bother posting--which is probably what I should do.
    All I did was point out a flaw in your reasoning.

    No need to get upset with that, even if what you originally said wasn't totally serious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •