Page 696 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1965966466866926936946956966976986997007067467961196 ... LastLast
Results 10,426 to 10,440 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think Jackson could totally hold his own as a digital first series or OGN (not sure how well YOU BROUGHT ME THE OCEAN did saleswise), he has a great hook as character- but 'Aqualad' is not the moniker for him. The "sidekick" thing feels out of place with modern Aquaman. He's an ocean cowboy. He has allies he calls upon, but a sidekick feels like too much. Mera is his wife, and his equal so that's who he would naturally spend time with. Tula is his sister. Andy his daughter. Blah blah blah, family 'n all.

So anyway, yeah, no reason Jackson can't work as his own character who's also aquatic (Garth too, really). No reason for him to follow Jason Momoa and Amber Heard around, that would not vibe.
    A king can have his own squire or apprentice .

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think Jackson could totally hold his own as a digital first series or OGN (not sure how well YOU BROUGHT ME THE OCEAN did saleswise), he has a great hook as character- but 'Aqualad' is not the moniker for him. The "sidekick" thing feels out of place with modern Aquaman. He's an ocean cowboy. He has allies he calls upon, but a sidekick feels like too much. Mera is his wife, and his equal so that's who he would naturally spend time with. Tula is his sister. Andy his daughter. Blah blah blah, family 'n all.

So anyway, yeah, no reason Jackson can't work as his own character who's also aquatic (Garth too, really). No reason for him to follow Jason Momoa and Amber Heard around, that would not vibe.
    The OGN did not do that well. Not saying he can't hold his own, but he needs to be developed before. Anyhow don't see DC at the moment experimenting with him when neither Arthur has a book.

The only character in Aquaman that could hold her own in a spinoff movie is Mera.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    I disagree that DC isn't ready to have a woman take over. They are even toying with the idea of renaming the book as Aquaman and Mera. Honestly I agree with this, as the book nowadays is about Arthur and Mera. And Mera has reached heights that at times she overshadows him.

Atlantis is pivotal part of the Aquaworld and its not true that he has two separate parts in his life. Aquaman was intended to be a bridge between land and sea. Even when not a king, he has the link with Atlantis, see latest run in which the link was Mera. Him being Aquaman is because he is Atlantean. His own powers derive from that, His mythos is built on Atlantis not Amnesty bay. Now that he is married with Mera again could even solve a dilemma Aquaman always felt, that he did not take care enough of his duties as king, Mera could step in or viceversa.

They also brought in Andy, with a purpose as well, besides being the natural successor, as shown in Future State JL, its Andy not Jackson or Garth that take his place. She also could be a powerhouse in DC, inheriting both her parents set of powers makes her one of the most powerful heroes around. Being the daughter of Arthur and Mera also carries weight that none of the two Aqualads ever had.
    This doesn't dispute anything I said. I know Arthur's origins, doesn't make his Aquaman persona distance with being Atlantean royalty. Jackson's father is Black Manta. I didn't say whoever the Aquaman is can't go to Atlantis, only that being its king or queen isn't required. It's a superhero guise, not royalty. Mera could step in, but she isn't is she? There is no precedent for DC switching a male derives codename to a woman that I can think of. They had an opportunity with Batman, only for Dick to get that over Cass. There has been no female Batman or Superman successor who kept those codenames.

Future State introduces new characters for legacies, they did that for Wonder Girl. But what are they going to do when that's over? Hard to say. A big reason the Aqualads didn't have relevance is because DC didn't are them seriously, and they're not afraid of doing that to female sidekicks - look at how Bat editorial reacts to Batgirl, they think that title is beneath them. They destroyed Cassandra Cain when she became popular.

As for Aquaman retiring indeed its silly, now that he has been made into an Awesome character since New 52 and with rise of the Mera character to new heights it doesn't make any sense at all. And all this to be substituted with either Garth or Jackson who aren't popular even with the Aquafan base.
    He's a king, that makes it really easy to put him on the shelf in Atlantis the most super-heroes. If Garth or Jackson won't be the new Aquaman they're not giving Mera anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    This doesn't dispute anything I said. I know Arthur's origins, doesn't make his Aquaman persona distance with being Atlantean royalty. Jackson's father is Black Manta. I didn't say whoever the Aquaman is can't go to Atlantis, only that being its king or queen isn't required. It's a superhero guise, not royalty. Mera could step in, but she isn't is she? There is no precedent for DC switching a male derives codename to a woman that I can think of. They had an opportunity with Batman, only for Dick to get that over Cass. There has been no female Batman or Superman successor who kept those codenames.

Future State introduces new characters for legacies, they did that for Wonder Girl. But what are they going to do when that's over? Hard to say. A big reason the Aqualads didn't have relevance is because DC didn't are them seriously, and they're not afraid of doing that to female sidekicks - look at how Bat editorial reacts to Batgirl, they think that title is beneath them. They destroyed Cassandra Cain when she became popular.

He's a king, that makes it really easy to put him on the shelf in Atlantis the most super-heroes. If Garth or Jackson won't be the new Aquaman they're not giving Mera anything.
    So being a king puts him easily on the shelf? when most of his stories are based on him being King, even the movie and the new upcoming animation.
    Mera can't be Aquaman, she is Mera, but she is the only one who can get a movie or a TV spinoff. Informed sources have confirmed that they have big plans for Mera, even her role in the synder cut is gonna be larger than in the original movie.

Besides Arthur, she is the only one to have got a solo and that was based on her being Queen of Atlantis, which contradicts what you claim that being king or Queen puts them on the shelf. Mera is also the only character from the cast besides the villains, that gets collectible statues by DC.
    But Mera and Arthur are a package they go together, that's why at DC they are considering renaming the book Aquaman and Mera even in view of the popularity of Mera. Her popularity dwarfs that of the Aqualads, there is no comparison.

Future State is a clear example that DC doesn't trust the two Aqualads. Explain why they introduced Andy if they trusted one of the two Aqualads? They did not just put her on the new Justice league, they also make her co lead in the FS- Aquaman. She is a character introduced just less than a year ago.
    What they plan once FS is over? according to Shea, Andy is gonna be prominent. She already calls her the Princess of DC.

I'm glad Wonder Woman 84 was a good movie, looking forward for more DC films! I'll have to rewatch it, BoP and Joker again before I can make a definitive DCEU ranking!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    So being a king puts him easily on the shelf? when most of his stories are based on him being King, even the movie and the new upcoming animation.
    Mera can't be Aquaman, she is Mera, but she is the only one who can get a movie or a TV spinoff. Informed sources have confirmed that they have big plans for Mera, even her role in the synder cut is gonna be larger than in the original movie.
    In theory it is, just because they haven't done this doesn't stop it from being a device they could use. If her daughter can be Aquaman surely Mera can, she can't because reasons is a cop-out. The movie was his origin story and he's the star when he's the star he'll be doing things we're talking about when he's not the star of the title. "Informed sources," like who? Where you are getting that information? Snyder's being given a mini-series length for his story, something the theatrical cut wasn't allowed. He'd have less time as well had he stuck to movie mode like Whedon was.

Wan has been trying to get a spin-off of The Trench for years.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...pinoff-1192505

Besides Arthur, she is the only one to have got a solo and that was based on her being Queen of Atlantis, which contradicts what you claim that being king or Queen puts them on the shelf. Mera is also the only character from the cast besides the villains, that gets collectible statues by DC.
    But Mera and Arthur are a package they go together, that's why at DC they are considering renaming the book Aquaman and Mera even in view of the popularity of Mera. Her popularity dwarfs that of the Aqualads, there is no comparison.
    That doesn't dispute anything I said. Of course royal characters do royal things in their own adventures, they'll be doing it off-screen in other stories where they're not the lead. Collectible statues has nothing to do with anything. You say that like everything's static, Mera's like that because she's been given attention and protection, something the Aqualad's lacked. Characters get popular when DC decides to do exciting things with them, it's why Jackson is popular in the Young Justice cartoon.

Future State is a clear example that DC doesn't trust the two Aqualads. Explain why they introduced Andy if they trusted one of the two Aqualads? They did not just put her on the new Justice league, they also make her co lead in the FS- Aquaman. She is a character introduced just less than a year ago.
    What they plan once FS is over? according to Shea, Andy is gonna be prominent. She already calls her the Princess of DC.
    All that shows is that the creators and editors want to do something new, its not like not having Donna Troy or Cassandra Sandsmark as the Wonder Girl Future State means DC hates them. It's a short term project to keep DC relevant through the pandemic. Because the creators wanted to? A company making a decision is by no means the only decision they could have made. It's their company, they could do anything with these characters. That's what Shea hopes what will happen, hardly a guarantee that it will happen. Lots of creators have been burnt by that. But what does DC itself think? They could not have her in anything for months or years, many creators have been burnt like this before because the future is hard to predict.

Edit: Queen Hippolyta is a good example of a comic royalty doing their royal business off-screen when she's not called up to be a superhero. She's replaced Diana as Wonder Woman once, and served the Justice Society as Wonder Woman during WW2 in some continuities. In numerous runs she's just governing Themyscira.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 01-16-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I'm glad Wonder Woman 84 was a good movie, looking forward for more DC films! I'll have to rewatch it, BoP and Joker again before I can make a definitive DCEU ranking!
    You...would willingly watch BoP...again?!? You have a higher tolerance for pain than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You...would willingly watch BoP...again?!? You have a higher tolerance for pain than I do.
    I liked it the first time.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I liked it the first time.
    Well, I had heard that someone did. I just always assumed it was Margot Robbie's mom...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    As lousy of a representation of the BOP franchise as the movie is, as its own movie it's actually very good.

No pain tolerance required.

Yeah I enjoyed Birds of Prey, not as an adaptation, but as a film.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah I enjoyed Birds of Prey, not as an adaptation, but as a film.
    I found Birds of Prey like Wonder Woman 1984 to be a bold, enjoyable film that's endlessly rewatchable.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As lousy of a representation of the BOP franchise as the movie is, as its own movie it's actually very good.

No pain tolerance required.
    That’s my opinion as well. I figure I may watch it again some time as a fun date movie.

The only problem I have is using Cassandra Cain without actually using Cassandra Cain.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    That’s my opinion as well. I figure I may watch it again some time as a fun date movie.

The only problem I have is using Cassandra Cain without actually using Cassandra Cain.
    This is the only real major detriment. I can see Dinah and Helena easily evolving into more accurate versions of their comic selves and they are executed well here, and the absence of Babs is easily rectified by just adding her.

Cass is extremely different, and should have just been Holly Robinson.

Astonishing Member

If Black Adam gets the JSA off the ground, maybe Dinah can reappear there