Page 672 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1725726226626686696706716726736746756766827227721172 ... LastLast
Results 10,066 to 10,080 of 20948

Red is my favorite color, so I'm biased .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. My parents actually thought I was going to be a redhead when I was a baby, because I had red eyebrows for a time. My mustache did have some red mixed in with the brown (before I had to shave it off ten years ago because it was turning grey like my hair).
    My stubble beard (when I get too lazy to shave) has auburn and blonde hairs mixed in there with all the traditional black. Genetics are wacky, man.

After watching "Wonder Woman 1984" yesterday, this is my current DCEU ranking:

- Batman v Superman
    - Man of Steel
    - Aquaman
    - Wonder Woman
    - Suicide Squad
    - Wonder Woman 1984
    - Shazam!
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    After watching "Wonder Woman 1984" yesterday, this is my current DCEU ranking:

- Batman v Superman
    - Man of Steel
    - Aquaman
    - Wonder Woman
    - Suicide Squad
    - Wonder Woman 1984
    - Shazam!
    So if I liked Shazam!, will I like WW84?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 12-24-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, you can have an all-anything cast including white. Just because you can insert diversity into everything doesn't mean you should or need to. I doubt most regular moviegoers care as much about diversity as modern-day Hollywood would like you to believe. General audiences don't tend to look at something like Game of Thrones and say there's too many white people there. Give them a fun trailer and they'll go see the movie or tune in for the show.
    This is such a niave take.

And Hollywood is not pushing for diversity or telling people to care about diversity... it's regular people who are forcing Hollywood to care, just b/c they're on social media doesn't mean they're not the general audience.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Bless your heart.

And Hollywood is not pushing for diversity or telling people to care about diversity... it's regular people who are forcing Hollywood to care, just b/c they're on social media doesn't mean they're not the general audience.
    General audiences don't tend to care how the main characters look like in a superhero movie. Just because Hollywood seems to have finally realized the benefits of having better representation does not mean most casual moviegoers take specific interest in the color, gender or preferences of the main cast of characters. Some of them perhaps do, but that doesn't appear to be the case across the board. Hollywood may naturally choose to base the marketing of a movie around the main character's cultural identity, but that doesn't mean the vast majority of people would go see it for that precise reason. But since you've clearly made up your mind about my take already, I don't see a reason to continue.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-25-2020 at 03:31 PM.

1. Wonder Woman
    2. Shazam
    3. Aquaman
    4. Wonder Woman 1984
    5. Man of Steel
    6. Birds of Prey
    7. Suicide Squad
    8. Batman vs Superman
    9. Justice League

That’s how I’d rank the DCEU movies after watching WW84.

1. Aquaman
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Shazam
    4. Wonder Woman 1984
    5. Justice League
    6. Birds of Prey
    7. Suicide Squad
    8. Batman vs Superman
    9. Man of Steel

my DCEU ranking
    Last edited by Goldrake; 12-26-2020 at 03:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

If general audiences didn't care-we would not keep hearing stories like this-

https://shadowandact.com/tessa-thomp...r-sylvies-love

Sylvie's Love hits Amazon Prime Video this week after its premiere earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival. The film got a great response in Park City theaters, something that stars Tessa Thompson and Nnamdi Asomugha.

The film presents Black romance in a period drama, something that is few and far between in Hollywood, given that most narratives set in the era usually have some element of trauma involved. But, Sylvie's Love just depicts Black people are simply existing.

But, Black people just simply existing may have been an issue for the entities that got pitched the film, as Asomugha explains. "The other thing that I would say [added] fuel too our tank was just trying to get the film made and going through this process of going to studios and financiers and having everyone say that they don't believe in it because they don't believe there's an audience for this film, which was just so interesting for me.

"So for you to say, there's no audience....obviously, maybe they didn't have a metric for it..a lot of the people in those positions don't look like us. So, they're only going to go off of if they are the audience, a lot of the time. To hear that there was no audience for it. I think that sort of fueled my fire a little bit more to saying, 'Let's make sure this gets done. I don't think Martin Scorsese is looking and saying there's no audience for [his fim]...even if only Italians watch it, there's an audience, you know? So that made it that much more important to get a story like this out there, just to show that there is an audience for this type of film."
    Lets not forget if the WB had their way Static Shock would have been about a white kid named Virgil Hawkins.

Who is this general audience that keeps getting referred to? Because these executives are getting these ideas from SOMEWHERE.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If general audiences didn't care-we would not keep hearing stories like this-

https://shadowandact.com/tessa-thomp...r-sylvies-love

Lets not forget if the WB had their way Static Shock would have been about a white kid named Virgil Hawkins.

Who is this general audience that keeps getting referred to? Because these executives are getting these ideas from SOMEWHERE.
    Each other, their wives/husbands, people at Hollywood parties, their cocaine dealers; that's where they get their ideas. They certainly don't mix with the commoners, that commoner stuff might rub off on them. Plus, common people are icky.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Right now I feel it's a 7/10. Tempted to give it a 6 or 6.5 but that's more me being let down a bit rather than the actual quality of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I thought the film was decent but I was a little disappointed. Those opening 10 minutes are the most exciting part of the movie, and the next hour has almost nothing in the way of action. There's a lot of unnecessary exposition and meandering necessary for Lord's plot to fully come to fruition, and it overreaches a bit in scope. The action we do end up getting is cool, but all too brief and a bit of a let down compared to what we've seen her do, due in part to the plot. And the climax stumbles more noticeably in the first film; while I appreciate what they were going for in the closing speech, it seemed a bit hammy.

I feel like these flaws existed in some way in the first film, but they were compensated for by more organic laughs/relationships, more grounded stakes, and the strenghts inherent to origin stories.

It's about as good as your average comic book film, but I wanted more.
    I'd add that Gal and Pedro's acting was great but that the overall story just wasn't that compelling.

Brilliant racial analysis from this forum as per usual.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wonder Woman 1984 was a big swing and a miss for me.

Cheetah was completely wasted.

Pedro Pascal is great as are the Pine/Gadot scenes, but the rest is a mess.

Kathleen Kennedy must be feeling very nervous right now

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wonder Woman 1984 was a big swing and a miss for me.

Cheetah was completely wasted.

Pedro Pascal is great as are the Pine/Gadot scenes, but the rest is a mess.

Kathleen Kennedy must be feeling very nervous right now
    That's worrisome. I always pay more attention to what the actual fans of these characters think as opposed to critics, so seeing the RT score going down doesn't bother me as much as some of the fan feedback I'm seeing. Was really hoping for a worthy followup. :/

Fan feedback is more positive than negative from what I've seen.