Page 695 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1955956456856916926936946956966976986997057457951195 ... LastLast
Results 10,411 to 10,425 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    she is a rising star, rocking on twitter and social media. With Yara she has been the outstanding character so far.
    Jackson might have been popular at cartoon level but otherwise he was a no show in aquaworld for years. That did not help the character and sidelined him. He got a graphic novel that did not do well and thats all. His two solo issues for Aquaman in August and September registered the lowest ever sales in the history of Aquaman comic. Barely 11k!
    Andy was introduced with the purpose to replace him, as even in Future state, DC was aware that he did not have the popularity to carry the title alone. Otherwise it would have been his solo in Future state Aquaman and not sharing it with Andy.

BTW - any new movie after Momoa, would be about Mera, who is gonna get also a tv spinoff.
    I didn't know she was trending on social media.

Are we sure his graphic novel didn't do well? Did the sales of the comic after those solo issues improve?

I remember thinking how much Andy focus seemed to be in a book that was ostensibly supposed to be focused on Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't know she was trending on social media.

Are we sure his graphic novel didn't do well? Did the sales of the comic after those solo issues improve?

I remember thinking how much Andy focus seemed to be in a book that was ostensibly supposed to be focused on Jackson.
    Aquaman before those solos was selling 18k consistently, with those two solos dropped to 11k, lowest selling book for DC. Even the guy from whom I get my comics confirmed to me, that from the usual 16 pre-orders they fell to 5 or 6. The extra books he orders either didn't sell or Some people who weren't aware that the book was about jackson returned the comic.
    October with the return of the normal run sales rose to 16k. But many comic shops had reduced the numbers of book orders following those two months.
    Andy was brought in as they did not trust him with carrying the title, at one point even garth was considered, but he had a similar problem, low popularity.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jackson is fine as Aqualad or with a new ID like Tempest, but he's not a replacement for Arthur. They should 'Nightwing' him and let him have his own stories.

Aquaman is Arthur Curry, and Momoa is sticking around. There'll be plenty of Aquaman sequels and Mera spin offs. I can totally see Andy coming in, too!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-13-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Jackson is fine as Aqualad or with a new ID like Tempest, but he's not a replacement for Arthur. They should 'Nightwing' him and let him have his own stories.

Aquaman is Arthur Curry, and Momoa is sticking around. There'll be plenty of Aquaman sequels.
    spot on, neither garth nor jackson can be Aquaman. Besides the title aqualad is an old concept, develop them as Tempest or Kaldur, let them be their own person.
    as for momoa he will just do one or two other movies.

spot on, neither garth nor jackson can be Aquaman. Besides the title aqualad is an old concept, develop them as Tempest or Kaldur, let them be their own person.
    as for momoa he will just do one or two other movies.
    I mean, it's a sidekick name. I think it's fine to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, it's a sidekick name. I think it's fine to use.
    but it limits a character as a sidekick, when they should be their own persons.

but it limits a character as a sidekick, when they should be their own persons.
    Can't we just let sidekicks be sidekicks for a few decades? What's with the modern push for a constant series of sidekicks "growing out" of being sidekicks? We shouldn't have 5+ Robins

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't we just let sidekicks be sidekicks for a few decades? What's with the modern push for a constant series of sidekicks "growing out" of being sidekicks? We shouldn't have 5+ Robins
    fine with that, but problem is that some want the sidekick to takeover as main lead. it will never work that way. Jackson was missing in aquaman comics for 10 years, most readers are indifferent to him, Aquaman will always be Arthur Curry.

Why there are even talks about Arthur getting replaced? One could probably argue that character finally managed to click only few years ago and now we want to thrown him aside already?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Why there are even talks about Arthur getting replaced? One could probably argue that character finally managed to click only few years ago and now we want to thrown him aside already?
    Because a handful are pushing for that. While I see Garth or Jackson having a connection to the Aquaworld, they should be really having their own books and identity separate from Aquaman who will always be Arthur no matter what. Maybe Andy can take the mantle, she is the natural choice, even taking in consideration that Aquaman is tied to Atlantis and Andy is the heir of the throne. While the other two can't ever rule Atlantis.

Astonishing Member

Because a handful are pushing for that. While I see Garth or Jackson having a connection to the Aquaworld, they should be really having their own books and identity separate from Aquaman who will always be Arthur no matter what. Maybe Andy can take the mantle, she is the natural choice, even taking in consideration that Aquaman is tied to Atlantis and Andy is the heir of the throne. While the other two can't ever rule Atlantis.
    I'm surprised we haven't had another Aquaman sooner, DC is really into legacies more than Marvel has been in the past. Wonder Woman's got replaced by Hippolyta, Donna Troy and Artemis, for example. A new Aquaman won't need to be Arthur's heir to Atlantis to be that super-hero he's not Aqua King - being Aquaman and being a king are two separate parts in Arthur'sd life. On the throne he's not King Aquaman, he's King Arthur Curry. Garth and Jackson would be natural successors to the Aquaman identity. I don't think DC's ready to have a woman take over a mantle with man in the title, it's not ambiguous like the Flash, but who knows.

Ultimate Member

Because Tim Drake and Dick Grayson held long running books. Tim had his first mini 3-4 year after he showed up. His solo came in year 5 or 6.

Because Wally West held down Flash for 20 years before...well we all know what happened.

Also there is an issue of DEVELOPMENT. Not all sidekicks get that.

In Aqualad's case can we TRUST a writer to actually DEVELOP him or are we going to see Tom King's treatment of Duke Thomas in Batman-to the point Duke as one panel cameos and out of the book for a year.

If Aqualad does NOT have his own solo, OGN or mini or backups to help develop him. I BETTER see it in the Aquaman book. That is how it worked for Sam Wilson, Rhodey, Jubliee, Dick & Tim.

We totally shouldn't have 5+ Robins.

It's just the talk of characters "retiring" or "bowing out" that's silly. Aquaman can have thousands of adventures, he's a pulp adventure character. There's no reason for him to be replaced.

Garth and Jackson are both fine as sidekicks, or as their own heroes with their own niche. I'd say Jackson fits a lot more in his own mythos, not Aquaman's. He can easily carry a solo and be his own thing outside of Aquaman. At least the way Nightwing operates around Batman's world.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-14-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't had another Aquaman sooner, DC is really into legacies more than Marvel has been in the past. Wonder Woman's got replaced by Hippolyta, Donna Troy and Artemis, for example. A new Aquaman won't need to be Arthur's heir to Atlantis to be that super-hero he's not Aqua King - being Aquaman and being a king are two separate parts in Arthur'sd life. On the throne he's not King Aquaman, he's King Arthur Curry. Garth and Jackson would be natural successors to the Aquaman identity. I don't think DC's ready to have a woman take over a mantle with man in the title, it's not ambiguous like the Flash, but who knows.
    I disagree that DC isn't ready to have a woman take over. They are even toying with the idea of renaming the book as Aquaman and Mera. Honestly I agree with this, as the book nowadays is about Arthur and Mera. And Mera has reached heights that at times she overshadows him.

Atlantis is pivotal part of the Aquaworld and its not true that he has two separate parts in his life. Aquaman was intended to be a bridge between land and sea. Even when not a king, he has the link with Atlantis, see latest run in which the link was Mera. Him being Aquaman is because he is Atlantean. His own powers derive from that, His mythos is built on Atlantis not Amnesty bay. Now that he is married with Mera again could even solve a dilemma Aquaman always felt, that he did not take care enough of his duties as king, Mera could step in or viceversa.

They also brought in Andy, with a purpose as well, besides being the natural successor, as shown in Future State JL, its Andy not Jackson or Garth that take his place. She also could be a powerhouse in DC, inheriting both her parents set of powers makes her one of the most powerful heroes around. Being the daughter of Arthur and Mera also carries weight that none of the two Aqualads ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    We totally shouldn't have 5+ Robins.

It's just the talk of characters "retiring" or "bowing out" that's silly. Aquaman can have thousands of adventures, he's a pulp adventure character. There's no reason for him to be replaced.

Garth and Jackson are both fine as sidekicks, or as their own heroes with their own niche. I'd say Jackson fits a lot more in his own mythos, not Aquaman's. He can easily carry a solo and be his own thing outside of Aquaman. At least the way Nightwing operates around Batman's world.
    I don't think he currently can carry a solo, he needs to be developed before doing that.

We have seen the results of giving him a two solo issues in Aquaman, registered lowest sales for the title ever. He can't have that space either in Aquaman book, he is crushed by Arthur and Mera, eventually even by Andy.

He needs a book with similar aged characters, in which he is given space and developed. Once they do that he can have a solo. Guys keep in mind that this a character that hasn't been seen in a decade and only recently re-appeared with limited panel space.

As for Aquaman retiring indeed its silly, now that he has been made into an Awesome character since New 52 and with rise of the Mera character to new heights it doesn't make any sense at all. And all this to be substituted with either Garth or Jackson who aren't popular even with the Aquafan base.

I think Jackson could totally hold his own as a digital first series or OGN (not sure how well YOU BROUGHT ME THE OCEAN did saleswise), he has a great hook as character- but 'Aqualad' is not the moniker for him. The "sidekick" thing feels out of place with modern Aquaman. He's an ocean cowboy. He has allies he calls upon, but a sidekick feels like too much. Mera is his wife, and his equal so that's who he would naturally spend time with. Tula is his sister. Andy his daughter. Blah blah blah, family 'n all.

So anyway, yeah, no reason Jackson can't work as his own character who's also aquatic (Garth too, really). No reason for him to follow Jason Momoa and Amber Heard around, that would not vibe.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-14-2021 at 09:53 AM.