Page 493 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 393443483489490491492493494495496497503543593993 ... LastLast
Results 7,381 to 7,395 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Something interesting that I haven't thought is that for the past 4 years, the largest WB blockbuster has been a DC films; BvS, WW, AM, and Joker. With WW2, were likely going to increase this streak to 5. This is what I mean when I say that the only reason people can't recognize the success of the DCEU because the MCU is just larger.
    The successes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Joker are frequently recognized.

As is the nuance of BvS making most of its money in its first week and dropping steeply afterward and having the legs cut out from under it because it sucked and had poor word of mouth. The MCU has little to do with it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Something interesting that I haven't thought is that for the past 4 years, the largest WB blockbuster has been a DC films; BvS, WW, AM, and Joker. With WW2, were likely going to increase this streak to 5. This is what I mean when I say that the only reason people can't recognize the success of the DCEU because the MCU is just larger.
    Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Joker
    Aquaman

That is at least 4 icons in our society. I would say 5 with Aquaman myself.
    How many comic book series do they account for?
    How much merchandise?
    How many tv shows?
    How many movies?

MCU......
    A collection of movies starring guys who would need another 100 years to SNIFF what Batman, Superman and even Wonder Woman have done.
    Some had Marvel employees OPENLY fight to keep them from getting movies.
    Where is this black cast DC movie at? Oh that's right there isn't one. Yet Marvel had one make a billion.
    Batman, Superman & WW are EXPECTED to succeed. No one expected a movie about Antman would, let alone have 2 movies before WW. Or 3 films with a talking tree and road kill while so many DC icons can't get one decent one made.

I'm getting a sense that Wonder Woman is the only female-led film the "hordes of haters" want.
    Because WW is suppose to be a monolith and represent every single female and thus she should be the only one among the big 2 to have a film. And that is ONLY because she had a tv show in the 70s starring a "goddess" and like Leia has been the DEFAULT female for projects.

That will be two female led movies back to back that will have cratered enabling the hordes of haters coming out.
    Wait till Black Widow starts up....

Just wondering, how would you react if they made a Batman: The Animated Series revival on HBO Max?

Featuring reprisals of as many of the original cast as possible, like Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as Joker, Loren Lester as Nightwing and so on (but exceptions like Melissa Rouch replacing Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn, due to the latter's retirement) and with Bruce Timm as the head? And with the style being like that of the original, but in HD, and being a bit darker given the platform and intended audience.

It was an idea I've seen proposed elsewhere and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Just wondering, how would you react if they made a Batman: The Animated Series revival on HBO Max?

Featuring reprisals of as many of the original cast as possible, like Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hamill as Joker, Loren Lester as Nightwing and so on (but exceptions like Melissa Rouch replacing Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn, due to the latter's retirement) and with Bruce Timm as the head? And with the style being like that of the original, but in HD, and being a bit darker given the platform and intended audience.

It was an idea I've seen proposed elsewhere and wanted to see what you guys thought.
    I'd be very very skeptical about it. I think the temptation to improve or modernize the aesthetic and writing would be too great, to the extent that it might defeat the purpose. That said if Paul Dini came back to help write it, I would have to look forward to it. But, I think the project probably works better if it's conceptualized as a tribute or goodbye to the BTAS world, rather than a continuation. (Although maybe those two things aren't that different?)

It would depend heavily on whether or not they got Paul Dini involved. I was less than impressed with Bruce Timm's Batman and Harley movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It would depend heavily on whether or not they got Paul Dini involved. I was less than impressed with Bruce Timm's Batman and Harley movie.
    Yeah, that's a good point. Paul Dini isn't at WB anymore, he left amicably to pursue new challenges (having been with them forever and wanted to try new things). Not sure if they could get Dini back legally at this point, but if they can, it's not hard to imagine it happening there.

BANNED

Wasn't it announced just a week ago that Dini was making a Batman mini-series set in the DCAU?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    Wasn't it announced just a week ago that Dini was making a Batman mini-series set in the DCAU?
    Is that the comic book you're referring to?

Didn't know he was writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    Is that the comic book you're referring to?

Didn't know he was writing.
    Along with Alan Burnett who was also pretty instrumental with the DCAU.

Frankly I think they'd be as vital in reviving the DCAU as Timm is.

Definitely. I only said "Timm as the lead" because I didn't think Dini was working with WB again at the moment so I was trying to be realistic.

But in this scenario, say they got the core people together and said "We're bringing back Batman: The Animated Series on HBO Max with as much of the old crew as possible", would you be down with that?

In fact, come to think of it, I believe HBO Max is gonna need a Batman animated series in general. Batman being DC's flagship, and what was the last Batman series anyways? Beware the Batman? That was a while ago, and I think we're do for an animated series focused on Batman again. If it's BTAS, even better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Along with Alan Burnett who was also pretty instrumental with the DCAU.

Frankly I think they'd be as vital in reviving the DCAU as Timm is.
    Timm is less reliable these days, and has made controversial decisions, like with The Killing Joke. Give it to someone new, who can be trusted.

Definitely. I only said "Timm as the lead" because I didn't think Dini was working with WB again at the moment so I was trying to be realistic.

But in this scenario, say they got the core people together and said "We're bringing back Batman: The Animated Series on HBO Max with as much of the old crew as possible", would you be down with that?

In fact, come to think of it, I believe HBO Max is gonna need a Batman animated series in general. Batman being DC's flagship, and what was the last Batman series anyways? Beware the Batman? That was a while ago, and I think we're do for an animated series focused on Batman again. If it's BTAS, even better.
    I think there has been a distinct lack of flagship Superhero cartoons from DC lately, save for Young Justice. and I guess DC Super Hero Girls.

Justice League Action was probably the closest but that went as quick as it came, unfortunately.

BTAS was lightning in a bottle. You're lucky to catch it once; it's next to impossible to do it twice.

Doing a BTAS but "a bit darker" would do little to reach new audiences, and that's what DC is in need of. Not more stuff for their old audience. And the world has changed since then. I'm also far from sure that Timm and Dini are the right people to help DC reach new audiences.

No idea on the practicality of this, but Superman in the style of Superman Smashes the Klan, but set vaguely present day? That could be something for lasting success.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    BTAS was lightning in a bottle. You're lucky to catch it once; it's next to impossible to do it twice.

Doing a BTAS but "a bit darker" would do little to reach new audiences, and that's what DC is in need of. Not more stuff for their old audience. And the world has changed since then. I'm also far from sure that Timm and Dini are the right people to help DC reach new audiences.

No idea on the practicality of this, but Superman in the style of Superman Smashes the Klan, but set vaguely present day? That could be something for lasting success.
    I don't think if they brought back BTAS it would end up being "darker," if only because the show could get plenty dark as is.

Justice League vs Fatal Five
    was pretty in-line with main DCAU stuff up until Emerald Empress started cutting dudes up, but if they went back to the cartoon series direction I think the tone would be fairly balanced.

But I guess it would just depend on what they're going for with a revival and who they feel they should be aiming it at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think if they brought back BTAS it would end up being "darker," if only because the show could get plenty dark as is.

Justice League vs Fatal Five
    was pretty in-line with main DCAU stuff up until Emerald Empress started cutting dudes up, but if they went back to the cartoon series direction I think the tone would be fairly balanced.

But I guess it would just depend on what they're going for with a revival and who they feel they should be aiming it at.
    I think a Justice League show with a similar tone to the one from the 00s (pre-teens and up) but with more depth, new stories, worlds and bringing new and popular characters like Jessica Cruz, Constantine (on occasions), Mera, etc. Make it a bit funny, but not silly. Develop the characters and show them interact in compelling and fun ways. I'd love a show like that. They could also bring back JL Action for the kids. We need the kids to love DC characters too.