Page 797 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2976977477877937947957967977987998008018078478971297 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,955 of 20948
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Does it matter if it's in poor taste? We're not getting Cyborg otherwise, and Fisher doesn't define the character. I'd say reboot recast and move on. Better to have someone else play Cyborg than no one play him.
    Agreed, a shame that one of DC’s most visible black characters never got a shot at a solo project of some kind. I don’t think it’d be terrible to bring in a new actor to carry on what Fisher started and unfortunately squandered.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think we're stuck with Joivan's Cyborg for a while, who's been very well received. I don't see WB touching that character again soon, especially when they stopped pushing him in the comics as well.
    Joivan’s Cyborg is really good, but he is at the end of the day part of an ensemble. Not to take away from his performance or the way he’s been written, but that diminishes the gravity of his character and the potential Cyborg had in the mainline DCEU as a full lead.

Though I think you’re right, the Cyborg push seems to have come to an end and it’s unlikely we get another movie iteration unless they bring in the Titans. I don’t think most fans would be up in arms if they were to recast Fisher, but between race-swapping white characters, smaller non-white heroes like Jaime getting pushed, and corporations’ irrational fear of Twitter backlash it doesn’t seem in the cards.

Extraordinary Member

I forgot mention aquaman was raceswapped too.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Renee montoya in the dceu was raceswapped too.
    She is black latino in the dceu but a brown latino in comics,animation other live action tv like gotham.
    Dceu Pedro Peña of the shazam family is a white latino but brown in comics.

Note-
    The older Pedro was played by a white actor as well in dceu.
    The actor is italian.
    I don't know if I'd really call Rosie Perez inconsistent with Renee in terms of racial category.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Missing the point entirely! People are pissed because instead of promoting and using their POC characters, who are amazing as well, we’re getting stuck with stupid race swaps, aka scraps or hand me downs! Look at the DCEU, who are their most prominent POC coming up

Raceswapped: Hawkman, Catwoman, Cyclone, Supergirl, Deadshot, Black Canary, James Gordon, Superman, Constantine (rumored), Zatanna (rumored), Hawkgirl (rumored)

Original: Shazamily (support characters), Cyborg (gone), El Diablo (dead), Katana (no plans), Renee Montoya (no plans), Cassandra Cain (no plans), Blue Beetle, Static

Thank god for Static and Blue Beetle! All the rest are White characters being played by non White actors... does nothing for diversity and just is insulting! We want our own heroes not hand me downs!! If Marvel can do that then why can’t DC!!
    Cry me a river. All those POC characters are amazing when the threat of a Black Superman emerges.
    But when Supes is a corn-fed white guy, we go back to ignoring characters of color heading up comics and TV shows.
    Spare me the faux indignation.
    The fact that the usual suspects are triggered about this doesn't surprise at all.
    Maybe WB is on to something. Maybe it's time to do something different with Superman after stumbling again and again with the character cinematically.
    It's not like you can't find Clark Kent on TV. Let's change it up on the big screen.
    Go with Calvin Ellis.
    Last edited by Castling; 05-06-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Cry me a river. All those POC characters are amazing when the threat of a Black Superman emerges.
    But when Supes is a corn-fed white guy, we go back to ignoring characters of color heading up comics and TV shows.
    The fact that the usual suspects are triggered about this doesn't surprise at all.
    I think you'll find plenty of people of color, including myself, who legitimately prefer authentically diverse characters over race-swapped ones.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Maybe WB is on to something. Maybe it's time to do something different with Superman after stumbling again and again with the character cinematically.
    It's not like you can't find Clark Kent on TV. Let's change it up on the big screen.
    Go with Calvin Ellis.
    It was their own stumbles, not the characters. And do you expect them to suddenly to better now?

A black actor as Superman could knock it out of the park. It's going to be inevitably different and lost some things, but gain other interesting twists. But WB doing it doesn't instill confidence, especially as they hired a writer who has already pissed off Black Panther fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think you'll find plenty of people of color, including myself, who legitimately prefer authentically diverse characters over race-swapped ones.
    Another POC here who agrees with you. Definitely prefer studios uses actual minority characters.

But hey, if race swapping makes white people feel better about themselves we’re going to continue to see more of it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    The general audience doesn't care if Black Canary or Deadshot are race-swapped. They don't really know who those characters are, and they're not going to comics to find out. A Black Catwoman has been well-received in animation and live action going back to the 1960's.

If it sells, it sells.

When was the last time people clamored for Hawkman? Now he has eyes on him because of Aldis Hodge. People are clamoring for Jurnee Smollet's Black Canary.
    The general audience isn't weighed down by the baggage of comic book readers. Momoa's Aquaman didn't bother them, either. Nor did a foreign actress portraying Wonder Woman with an accent.
    As it stands I look forward to Blue Beetle (replacing a white guy) and Static (another black guy with electric powers) but I'm not opposed to doing something different with the biggest name in comics.
    Calvin Ellis is also Superman, and he's nothing like Clark Kent. At this point he's a more interesting prospect considering he's free to do things they won't let Clark Kent do.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It was their own stumbles, not the characters. And do you expect them to suddenly to better now?

A black actor as Superman could knock it out of the park. It's going to be inevitably different and lost some things, but gain other interesting twists. But WB doing it doesn't instill confidence, especially as they hired a writer who has already pissed off Black Panther fans.
    It depends. They stumbled with Ayer's Joker and turned it around with a billion dollar Oscar winner the Joker film Stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Another POC here who agrees with you. Definitely prefer studios uses actual minority characters.

But hey, if race swapping makes white people feel better about themselves we’re going to continue to see more of it happening.
    Nevermind that an alien like Superman can be race-swapped. Calvin Ellis is not Clark Kent.

Go with Calvin Ellis.
    Bullshit! People on Twitter that are actually known for fighting for diversity on the big screen and want to see original POC characters succeed are also complaining. The article said we’re getting a Black Clark Kent/Kal-El not Calvin not Val Zod, another hand me down! That’s why people are pissed. How is that representation?

I’m one who is always advocating for representation and diversity but even I’m fed up with the raceswaps considering WB would rather do that than build up their unique POC! It’s insulting at this point and only drives a point home that DC has no worthwhile diverse characters!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

The general audience doesn't care if Black Canary or Deadshot are race-swapped. They don't really know who those characters are, and they're not going to comics to find out. A Black Catwoman has been well-received in animation and live action going back to the 1960's.

If it sells, it sells.

When was the last time people clamored for Hawkman? Now he has eyes on him because of Aldis Hodge. People are clamoring for Jurnee Smollet's Black Canary.
    The general audience isn't weighed down by the baggage of comic book readers. Momoa's Aquaman didn't bother them, either. Nor did a foreign actress portraying Wonder Woman with an accent.
    As it stands I look forward to Blue Beetle (replacing a white guy) and Static (another black guy with electric powers) but I'm not opposed to doing something different with the biggest name in comics.
    Calvin Ellis is also Superman, and he's nothing like Clark Kent. At this point he's a more interesting prospect considering he's free to do things they won't let Clark Kent do.
    But it does absolutely nothing for diversity passed employing a non White actor! Everywhere else Catwoman, Black Canary, Hawkman...etc are White! Marvel is doing diversity right! They’re pushing the likes of Black Panther, Sam, War Machine, Blade, Joaquin Falcon, America Chavez, Shang Chi, Ms Marvel...etc. just imagine how diverse the MCU will be when the X-Men join.

All DC is doing is giving us White characters, that’ll always be White, played by non White actors. Screw that!!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Bullshit! People on Twitter that are actually known for fighting for diversity on the big screen and want to see original POC characters succeed are also complaining. The article said we’re getting a Black Clark Kent/Kal-El not Calvin not Val Zod, another hand me down! That’s why people are pissed. How is that representation?

I’m one who is always advocating for representation and diversity but even I’m fed up with the raceswaps considering WB would rather do that than build up their unique POC! It’s insulting at this point and only drives a point home that DC has no worthwhile diverse characters!
    Well they can be mad about anything on twitter
    Table scraps would be accepting Val-zod or Calvin ellis two characters specifically created so that the perfect hegemony of multiverse white superman could be upheld without conflict
    instead they are writing a role and casting whoever in a role because none of these non poc characters have race intrinsically linked to their character
    especially superman

Unless you want to tell me what is so inherently important about Superman's whiteness in comics
    I mean there are black kryptonians
    They have their own island which is another hilarious racial faceplant thrown into comics lore

If it sells, it sells.
    This is simply not the perspective of fans, as opposed to business entities. I'm not only concerned about whether it sells, I'm concerned about how we relate to these stories and characters, and who gets left out as a result of these decisions.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Please make Superman black while ignoring John Stewart and Milestone. That's how you piss off most fans. Even more than usual