Page 578 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 784785285685745755765775785795805815825886286781078 ... LastLast
Results 8,656 to 8,670 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Odds on Ava completely ignoring the Snyder Cut and doing her own thing? Personally I hope that’s what happens.
    100% Ava will ignore the Snyder cut where it comes to the New Gods.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

It's not like I care so much about Steppenwolf, but why overthink his design. You get an actor like Ciaran Hinds for the part and we can't even see his face and watch him act.

How hard was it to do this in live action?

The great visual director Zack Snyder using outdated designs from more than a decade ago.

Are any of the people complaining about this even going to watch the movie?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I didn't see anyone speaking out when in the actual jl theatrical ciaran hinds had an abysmal role. Nobody said a word. As if, we got ciaran hinds live in the jl theatrical cut. Whedon could have redone the bits with live action actor as well.He didn't. Instead his parts where cut. These are attempts to spread negativity and nothing else.It's not like steppenwolf design is a new thing. This thing was part of bvs.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-10-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are any of the people complaining about this even going to watch the movie?
    They mostly will, but let’s be honest it’ll be more out of ‘morbid curiosity’ than actually expecting something good. Speaking for myself, I don’t think Snyder’s version will be great, heck, I’m not even sure it will be good, but it might be more intriguing to watch than the toothless theatrical cut so that alone makes it worth watching at least once.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Odds on Ava completely ignoring the Snyder Cut and doing her own thing? Personally I hope that’s what happens.
    Well, it's not like Snyder got to showcase much of the New Gods beyond Steppenwolf and some Parademons, but it seems like he'll get to do more with the Snyder Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I didn't see anyone speaking out when in the actual jl theatrical ciaran hinds had an abysmal role. Nobody said a word.
    Yeah, no. Steppenwolf was the subject of mockery in 2017 along with the rest of the theatrical cut.

I hope so, I'm fine with deviations from Kirby but I haven't liked what I've seen from Snyder.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah, no. Steppenwolf was the subject of mockery in 2017 along with the rest of the theatrical cut.
    Must have missed it. I didn't see much. Jl theatrical cut was recieved far more tame.I heard couple of people criticing it having "weak villain" and it being "fun". That's it. That's the end of it.I didn't see anyone say a word about ciaran hinds being wasted in the role, kirby design and things like that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-10-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Must have missed it. I didn't see much. Jl theatrical cut was recieved far more tame.I heard couple of people criticing it having "weak villain" and it being "fun". That's it. That's the end of it.I didn't see anyone say a word about ciaran hinds being wasted in the role, kirby design and things like that.
    10 seconds of googling brought me this.

We hardly ever get to know Steppenwolf, the movie’s antagonist, who comes off as corny, one-dimensional, and nowhere near as sinister as he should be.
    https://www.esquireme.com/content/24...ue-movie-sucks

1. The villain was super lame.

I'm not sure how to phrase that any better. Steppenwolf (voiced by Ciarán Hinds) was a terrible villain. He resembled Surtur from Thor: Ragnarok---destroyer of worlds, horned helmet, etc---but instead of serving as an interesting twist, he was just a bad guy out to destroy worlds for some reason. Unlike Ares in Wonder Woman, there was no sleight of hand involved in Steppenwolf's reveal either. He was just a bad guy who, for some reason, has an army of robot creatures with laser guns and sharp, pointy fangs.

My question to the creators of this movie: Why enlist such a B-villain for your big ensemble hero film? The bad guys in Batman Vs. Superman, Man Of Steel and Wonder Woman were all much better. Even the villain in Suicide Squad was better than this. Ultimately, having a bad villain doesn't necessarily ruin a film, but it sure can. Steppenwolf was even worse than Ultron, and Ultron was a seriously terrible villain.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#5d6b69a01463

REVIEW: 'Justice League' has good superheroes but they get bogged down by a lame villain and plot to destroy the world

The villain is straight-up lame.

If you've ever watched any of DC's ubiquitous animated "Justice League"/"Super Friends" TV series or movies you'll be familiar with villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, the Joker, Bizarro, Riddler, Black Adam, Poison Ivy. You get it, the list goes on. If you can't conjure images of most of these villains, their names should at least feel vaguely familiar.

In "Justice League," we get Steppenwolf.

Who?

Great question.

If you're a big comic fan, you'll know he's a minion of a big Justice League villain, Darkseid, who's vaguely mentioned in a throwaway line in the movie. But you'll probably miss that. So for all intents and purposes, "Justice League" burdens us with a villain of little recognition by general audiences who exists solely in the extended cut of "Batman v Superman."

Steppenwolf is a disappointingly wacky CG character with horns and a legion of flying bugs called Parademons. Like most supervillains, he comes with a tired motivation of destroying the world for reasons that aren't really clear. A quick flashback sequence narrated by Wonder Woman attempts to describe his murky plan which involves gathering three boxes — called Motherboxes — scattered across Earth, each with its own mystery power. The addition of these silly boxes felt like some forgettable "Suicide Squad" nonsense.

I can only assume Steppenwolf's ultimate goal is to bring about Darkseid's rule and transform Earth into his old home planet of Apokolips (yes, that's pronounced Apocalypse), but that's only because the movie's production notes told me as much. Not the movie. I just don't get why Warner Bros. bothered adapting this villain when there are so many better, more recognizable DC villains.
    https://www.insider.com/justice-leag...see-it-2017-11

The idea nobody was critical of him before and that this is a new criticism is false.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Steppenwolf looked like a left over cut scene villain from a playstation game 21 years ago. You don't get an actor like Ciaran Hinds and then just only use his voice to say things like "cube" and "rawr".

Morrison talks about his unused Flash script.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-fl...-to-the-future

In the most ambitious superhero/Back to the Future crossover since Avengers actors Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland got deepfaked into the roles of Doc and Marty, two of the many, many writers who have tried their hand at scripting the upcoming standalone Flash movie from director Andy Muschietti have explained that their version was a lot more sci-fi than superhero. Oh, and one of the writers was Barry Allen himself, Ezra Miller. The other? Comic legend Grant Morrison.

Speaking to Collider, Morrison explained the idea behind the pair's draft, which the studio passed on in favor of a version by Birds of Prey's Christina Hodson. One more brick in the long and winding road of the film's production, the draft from the odd couple came about when Miller went over to Morrison's house and figured out a draft. "Ezra came over to the house and we just had a real blast and created the story. And maybe one day the script will leak out into the world," Morrison explained.

The movie had been cycling through creative talent at this point, so really what did they have to lose? “Yeah, I mean, Ezra Miller and I wrote that last year, but it kind of, you know what it’s like? It was just one of those things we all … Well, I thought we had a really good version of The Flash and we wrote it as fast as The Flash, because it was so demanding, and it was pretty good," Morrison said. "And I think after a few drafts, it would have been great. But the way some studios work, these things just come and go. I think about 15 people have already written versions of The Flash. But it does seem to be going ahead now, but not with the version that we did."

Not being able to rewrite the script didn't do the screenplay any favors, though Morrison also notes that "it was a very different kind of superhero thing." Instead, their take on Flashpoint sounds like it's taking from one of the all-time classic time-travel tales. "It was more like Back to the Future, I would say, than a superhero movie," the comic writer said. Time travel is a big Flash element, especially in the altered timeline event Flashpoint that the movie is said to draw from. But no, it wasn't the dark-and-gritty version of the comic material, either.

“No, it wasn’t [darker] really. I mean, elements of darkness were there and the material that they wanted us to use [was] the Flashpoint stuff," said Morrison. "So Ezra and I were actually trying to do something that was a bit more — like I say, it’s kind of like just a great science fiction story. And if you don’t know [the comics], it would have made sense."

What would it have looked like, exactly? Only a leak could tell fans, as The Flash film looks to head in a different direction ... one where The Flash probably doesn't have to avoid seducing his own mother. The Flash is scheduled to come out on July 1, 2022, while Miller and Muschietti will be making an appearance (and possibly divulging more info on The Flash) at DC's FanDome on Aug. 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Morrison talks about his unused Flash script.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-fl...-to-the-future
    I think I remember a rumor about Back to the Future influences...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

While I personally agree this design is far better, it's clear that Snyder would go for a more demonic look for Apokaliptian New Gods. Knowing him, New Genesis ones would probably look more angelic in contrast.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

It's entirely possible Snyder simply didn't want to mess around with trying to make Ciaran Hinds look 8 feet tall.
    Something's telling me Snyder specifically mentioned at one point that he wanted Steppenwolf large because he's a New God.

Not sure how they would have achieved that with Ciaran (even with movie magic) knowing Snyder's style... I can only recall 300 where there was a giant of a man in prosthetics (I think), but even then I don't think he was 8 feet tall and all he did was grunt and drool (going back to the "you don't get someone like Hinds just to 'rawr'" up above).