Extraordinary Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/azalben/s...08743763628034

"He's truly a unicorn," says Zaslav on Casey Bloys, who has a contract for the next five years. "We want it to be broader..." They're going to take all of the content from discovery+ and some from CNN and put it on HBO Max.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal has had more outside media representation than all other GLs combined. He's not less recognizable. But I agree about the need to use Sinestro no matter who the lead happens to be.
    I was thinking of the DCAU, where John was the only GL character (kind of...) and had a very specific and interesting background, very different from Jordan's. I actually can't think of any major Hal Jordan media representation besides the Timm CGI cartoon (which was a very moderate success) and the movie (which everyone would like to forget). But maybe there are more versions I don't know of.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Well I guess this was a big nothing burger
    New streaming service launch next summer
    Lies about a 10 year plan
    I guarantee if any of the upcoming movies flop they are going to change plans again lol

Wait, so the sky isn't falling?

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Again, it may be a female focus, but it is a focus revolving around a pre-existing narrative with a much, much stronger (and male) lead, that is Batman. No matter how much you try to tweak it, in the best of cases she will always appear as an interesting sidekick/secondary character or - in the worst case - as a Batman lite. The same could be said for Supergirl. Yes, I know that Supergirl had an entire show based upon her, but it is the type of show which people tend to forget relatively quickly after watching it. And apparently no one actually knows what to do with her in the comic books, either. It's the type of problem more or less all derivative characters (who, having been created way more recently, are often minority characters too) have to face at one point, including John Stewart (even if he finds himself in a relatively better position).

The only way you can sell a spin-off character is only if the main character is relatively unknown himself. There have been like 3-4 different versions of Captain Marvel, but none of them was particularly recognizable or famous and - as far as I know - the character was 100% unknown outside the comic books. So Kevin Feige was clever enough to introduce Carol Danvers as the ONE Captain Marvel of the MCU - a bet won, again. But you can't play the same trick with Barbara Gordon. By the way, this is the reason why I think that John Stewart has a slightly better chance at being sold as a lead than Batgirl - even if in the comics Hal Jordan is way more famous, in other media John is more recognizable. The problem is that - similarly to Barbara - John doesn't have a gallery of villains nor a unique microcosmos, and it is hard to imagine GL without Sinestro. So if they wanted to use him as the lead of a movie, they should create a version which merged John Stewart with Hal Jordan.
    I think more established than necesarilly more stronger because I feel like with Batgirl you can do an entirely different narrative and experience than you would get with Batman, which is the point of telling stories with these characters. I mean, giving these characters their own solo's is entirely to show that they can stand on their own and be as interesting as their male equivalent if people give them a chance.

I feel like Supergirl in the comics is more a failing of writers than the character herself. They struggle with her cousin.

I think there's a difference between focusing on a supporting/sidekick character and wholesale trying to spin them as the main character and act like the other doesn't exist. Supergirl and Batgirl don't try to pretend Batman and Superman don't exist, they're just building off of their stories. This isn't a Captain Marvel situation in my opinion because Batgirl isn't trying to wholesale replace Batman.

They just did a John Stewart movie where they gave him Kyle's origin and a bunch of other Hal stuff, although whether it was received well depends on who you ask (seems like the movie is selling though).
    I was thinking of the DCAU, where John was the only GL character (kind of...) and had a very specific and interesting background, very different from Jordan's. I actually can't think of any major Hal Jordan media representation besides the Timm CGI cartoon (which was a very moderate success) and the movie (which everyone would like to forget). But maybe there are more versions I don't know of.
    Hal was a major part of two DC Animated Feature Films (First Flight and Emerald Knights), was practically one of the leads of the New Frontier movie like he was in the comic, and was in several Justice League films, Lego or otherwise (although I'm not sure if that counts them as "major Hal Jordan media").

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    "David Zaslav says they are setting up a team at DC with a 10-year plan with a significant focus on quality. He notes Kevin Feige’s Marvel Studios model as inspiration."

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...03752755814403
    Last edited by Holt; 08-04-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Ultimate Member

Hal was in the Superfriends cartoons Until they ended in 1986. That was it for him in outside media until the 2011 movie. Then DCSuperHero Girls, a few GL movie and other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think more established than necesarilly more stronger because I feel like with Batgirl you can do an entirely different narrative and experience than you would get with Batman, which is the point of telling stories with these characters. I mean, giving these characters their own solo's is entirely to show that they can stand on their own and be as interesting as their male equivalent if people give them a chance.

I feel like Supergirl in the comics is more a failing of writers than the character herself. They struggle with her cousin.

I think there's a difference between focusing on a supporting/sidekick character and wholesale trying to spin them as the main character and act like the other doesn't exist. Supergirl and Batgirl don't try to pretend Batman and Superman don't exist, they're just building off of their stories. This isn't a Captain Marvel situation in my opinion because Batgirl isn't trying to wholesale replace Batman.

They just did a John Stewart movie where they gave him Kyle's origin and a bunch of other Hal stuff, although whether it was received well depends on who you ask (seems like the movie is selling though).

Hal was a major part of two DC Animated Feature Films (First Flight and Emerald Knights), was practically one of the leads of the New Frontier movie like he was in the comic, and was in several Justice League films, Lego or otherwise (although I'm not sure if that counts them as "major Hal Jordan media").
    I could see Batgirl working in an established universe as a strong side character that graduates to a lead, BUT she needs her own rogues gallery, otherwise she will just be a female batman with little to offer. That is the problem with duplicitous characters, they need to stand on their own or they are just the lite version of the main character. Be it Supergirl, Batgirl etc...

A 10 year plan huh? How’s that going to work? I kinda think the Flash might lead into a full on reboot at this point instead of Hamada’s half assed reboot. No way is Affleck sticking around for 10 years, and I can’t see Gadot or Cavill doing that either.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Injustice series come to mind as well, he's also been the male GL in DCSHG. Since the GL Rebirth story he's been the default Lantern in outside media until more recent years where they stopped promoting him altogether. In general though, he isn't just their most adapted GL but one of the most adapted DC characters overall. Which is why his current treatment has been so baffling, but all things come to an end I suppose.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-04-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I could see Batgirl working in an established universe as a strong side character that graduates to a lead, BUT she needs her own rogues gallery, otherwise she will just be a female batman with little to offer. That is the problem with duplicitous characters, they need to stand on their own or they are just the lite version of the main character. Be it Supergirl, Batgirl etc...
    Batman has so many villains that I don't think anyone would mind Batgirl fighting just Killer Moth and Firefly. Like, is anyone all that worked up to see Batman fight Firefly in a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Nuff said.
    Well, 6 out of 10 .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Expensive Direct-To-Streaming movies," - They're not referring to the animated DTV's, are they? Or is that just for streaming stuff?

"The objective is to grow the DC brand and protect it." - Okay, I can get behind that, but what will that mean in practice? Growing it how? Protecting it how?
    Zaslav teases a 10-year plan for DC going forward. Not gonna release any film that isn't ready or won't make them the success they are expecting.
    It means you might not SEE anything for years if they want to do that.

Along with the HUGE elephant in the room-what gets made???

What does that mean for POC, LGBTA+ & females?

What does that mean for guys like Hawkman, Doom Patrol and others who could give you a movie for under $70-50 million?

Warner Brothers can NOT control the movie theater or society.

You can EXPECT Justice League to make a billion. Reality says another thing.

Covid and other factors play into a box office.

Pulling the not ready crap is what has held Wonder Woman back for 30 years.

I am sure Marvel was NOT ready with Iron Man. Sometimes you just got to say BLEEP it and go.

Kind of a nothing burger lol. Guess we keep waiting for the new DC head.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/