Page 906 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4068068568969029039049059069079089099109169561006 ... LastLast
Results 13,576 to 13,590 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Doesn't really tell us anything besides the fact that she is doing research.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I am just so profoundly uninterested in more Black Canary. Hope the Zatanna and the “JLD” projects are good, but with JarJar “mystery box” Abrams involved I’m not that hopeful. Will they introduce Green Arrow in Smollet’s show though I wonder?
    I'm the opposite. I'm more interested in what happens with Black Canary. The screen writer sounds enthusiastic which is always a good thing and I like Jurnee Smollet in the role. Meanwhile, Jar Jar "somehow Palpatine returned" Abrams being involved in the Zatanna and said project being mostly based on the JLD era Zatanna has put a damper on my interest in the project.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I hope they dont forget that Dinahs mom was a meta vigilante. They really could end her movie with introducing her to the JSA or some established heroes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I hope they dont forget that Dinahs mom was a meta vigilante. They really could end her movie with introducing her to the JSA or some established heroes.
    The impression I've gotten is it'll be a movie with a some past history and a battle royale, probably set in the present, with a bunch of other martial arts heroes/villains/vigilantes/street levelers.

And count me in as someone who is elated to be getting more Jurnee Smollett as BC. Love her as an actress and I liked her take on Dinah and wished she had more to do and more screen time in HQ&BOP. Also Misha Greene is a great creative and the chemistry between her and Jurnee should lead to something fun and inspired.

And she seems open to the comic costume showing up, which is awesome .
    I guess it could tie-in to the JSA in Black Adam.

I would love to see her connection to her mother and the JSA to be acknowledged but sadly DC seems to consider her to be an entirely Green Arrow character these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With Nightwing it really just depends on the passage of time, which, yeah, would probably be something you see at the end of the trilogy.

I haven't seen enough of Reeves' Batman and his mythos and how he's handling adapting everything to know for sure. Probably with some recontextualizing, but I think even Robin can be adaptable. I don't think it's a matter of a "fan list" but because these characters are important to the overall mythos and character.
    I think we have seen enough and read/heard enough to get an idea here - but then, there were people who felt the tone of Nolan's trilogy would've been perfectly acceptable for Robin to show up (and I don't mean that "Robin" bit Rises had at the end) and I disagree with those people that it could've worked at all in those films. Not sure what you mean by "recontextualizing", I just know that for live action there's a certain range of tones/styles/whatever that Robin works in, and those he doesn't. And I think DCEU fits into that more naturally than the way things look to be in The Batman. So personally I'd just rather he be in the more natural fitting universe. I do think it's a bit of a fan list thing instead of the importance to the overall mythos and character thing because this isn't the 90s/00s any more - we have multiple versions of Batman on film now between the DCEU and The Batman, multiple TV continuities with Batwoman and Titans, and multiple cartoons with Young Justice/Harley Quinn/Teen Titans Go/etc, and the videogames. The importance to the overall mythos and character is much less important to any one singular take because there's another take that's already got it covered. No one continuity really needs to have everything, at least not with Batman. So I think some versions should do the Batfamily, and some versions shouldn't. So I guess I'm just interested in how it will all play out over the different interpretations we're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's WAY too early to tell if putting Robin in would be tonally inconsistent with how the Reeves film series will play out, especially as there is no one way to adapt Robin. The works Reeves is citing as inspirations includes one that has Robin in the well known sequel (TLH) and he is discussed in another (Ego), and the Bat mythos evolves and changes during Batman's career to become more outlandish as the gritty organized crime stuff is phased out. TLH/DV aim for the dark and grounded feel, more so than a lot of Batman stories, and they still had a 12 year old Robin in pixie boots. The film series casting a young 20 something who can play a 16yr or so Dick with more of a slight edge to him and the inevitable costume tweak wouldn't disrupt any tone if Reeves is planning on doing it.

It's not as if comics have shied away from questioning the morality of Bruce's decision of including Dick in his war on crime, so that would fit the more morally questionable vibe we're getting off him in general from these trailers.
    True - what wouldn't work in The Batman might work in The Batman 2 or 3. Kind of depends on how they introduce various elements over the course of the films. Iron Man was a grounded closer to the Nolan Batman films of the time, but the MCU went wildly in a different direction. Of course, there's kind of a difference to how wildly you can change things up in a cinematic universe vs a film trilogy, and depending on how you handle Robin he can fit in a variety of tones/styles/whatever. He does has a range he can work in, though I still think it's more narrow than Batman's. As dark and gritty as it is, Dark Victory is still not the same place as The Long Halloween was, which was itself different to Year One. I don't think Robin would fit in Year One, things had to change and get more accommodating by Dark Victory to fit into his range. Whether a similar change over the course of this film series happens, we'll only have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm the opposite. I'm more interested in what happens with Black Canary. The screen writer sounds enthusiastic which is always a good thing and I like Jurnee Smollet in the role. Meanwhile, Jar Jar "somehow Palpatine returned" Abrams being involved in the Zatanna and said project being mostly based on the JLD era Zatanna has put a damper on my interest in the project.
    I'm still interested in both films, but then I'm not as sold on a particular incarnation of either character, so it's easier for me to take a wait and see approach and be optimistic.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    And count me in as someone who is elated to be getting more Jurnee Smollett as BC. Love her as an actress and I liked her take on Dinah and wished she had more to do and more screen time in HQ&BOP.
    Is there any scene you thought she acted particularly well as BC? I thought her acting was overall just serviceable and at times unconvincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Is there any scene you thought she acted particularly well as BC? I thought her acting was overall just serviceable and at times unconvincing.
    Know you didn't ask me, but when she was singing at Black Mask's club, when she was helping out wasted Harley in the alley, and the lead up to her using her Canary Cry after avoiding it all movie long were good scenes from her I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think we have seen enough and read/heard enough to get an idea here - but then, there were people who felt the tone of Nolan's trilogy would've been perfectly acceptable for Robin to show up (and I don't mean that "Robin" bit Rises had at the end) and I disagree with those people that it could've worked at all in those films. Not sure what you mean by "recontextualizing", I just know that for live action there's a certain range of tones/styles/whatever that Robin works in, and those he doesn't. And I think DCEU fits into that more naturally than the way things look to be in The Batman. So personally I'd just rather he be in the more natural fitting universe. I do think it's a bit of a fan list thing instead of the importance to the overall mythos and character thing because this isn't the 90s/00s any more - we have multiple versions of Batman on film now between the DCEU and The Batman, multiple TV continuities with Batwoman and Titans, and multiple cartoons with Young Justice/Harley Quinn/Teen Titans Go/etc, and the videogames. The importance to the overall mythos and character is much less important to any one singular take because there's another take that's already got it covered. No one continuity really needs to have everything, at least not with Batman. So I think some versions should do the Batfamily, and some versions shouldn't. So I guess I'm just interested in how it will all play out over the different interpretations we're getting.
    I think an Arkham take on Robin would've fit into those movies, but that's just me, and I think Batman developing his crime-fighting family is an important hallmark of the character in one form or another.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think an Arkham take on Robin would've fit into those movies, but that's just me, and I think Batman developing his crime-fighting family is an important hallmark of the character in one form or another.
    Yeah, especially as they've only had one bad stab at it and solo Batman has been done to death in comparison.

If Reeves wants to do dark solo Batman throughout his films, so be it and his vision shouldn't be compromised and his execution looks like it has serious potential at least. But at this rate, solo Batman is almost at "Superman only fights Lex and Zod in the movies" level. It'd be nice to try something different.

And I don't think even an Arkham take would've fit into Nolan's movies. But that's also just me. And I didn't say it wasn't an important hallmark of the character - but, it's not a hallmark that needs to be developed in every version, and we've already got versions of that elsewhere in the games, cartoons, and soon the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, especially as they've only had one bad stab at it and solo Batman has been done to death in comparison.

If Reeves wants to do dark solo Batman throughout his films, so be it and his vision shouldn't be compromised and his execution looks like it has serious potential at least. But at this rate, solo Batman is almost at "Superman only fights Lex and Zod in the movies" level. It'd be nice to try something different.
    I wouldn't say it's been done to death in comparison - after the two Schumacher series we had one trilogy, and then BvS. So four movies. And that's just keeping to live action, because theatrically we did get Robin in an animated movie. And now we're getting Batgirl in film. So it looks like we're getting both a solo Batman and a Batfamily Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

And I don't think even an Arkham take would've fit into Nolan's movies. But that's also just me. And I didn't say it wasn't an important hallmark of the character - but, it's not a hallmark that needs to be developed in every version, and we've already got versions of that elsewhere in the games, cartoons, and soon the DCEU.
    But live action films are a specific itch that fans like to be scratched and have desires to see a lot of the stuff they love from the comics replicated. Especially now when it's been proven skewing closer to the comics can still yield highly successful results. Getting it in games or cartoons is great as well, but those satisfy different fandom desires.

Yeah we're getting some form of it with Keaton, but Burton/Keaton's Batman already has some split opinions among the fanbase to begin with and is also past his prime. So it won't be the same as a prime Batman starring in his own films getting some Bat-family members. We haven't gotten an attempt since Shumacher, and that fucking sucked.

I wouldn't say it's been done to death in comparison - after the two Schumacher series we had one trilogy, and then BvS. So four movies. And that's just keeping to live action, because theatrically we did get Robin in an animated movie. And now we're getting Batgirl in film. So it looks like we're getting both a solo Batman and a Batfamily Batman.
    We also have to count the first two Burton movies. So that's six, with at least The Batman being a #7. Vs. a measly 2 live action films with a Bat family.

It really has been overdone in comparison.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 09-25-2021 at 09:46 AM.