Page 722 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2226226727127187197207217227237247257267327728221222 ... LastLast
Results 10,816 to 10,830 of 20948
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I might be wrong, but the uproar over a possible black Clark would be greater than anything WB/DC had ever faced before. I honestly don't think it would be pretty.

Me? No problem.
    I think the issue would be-you got a BUNCH of black Supermen already established. Why even mess with Clark Kent?

The issue many have is all these already established black folks keep getting pushed aside for a racebent version or a black person in a white person's outfit.

If I am going to invest say $250 million for a black Superman-it better be Calvin Ellis or Val. Not Clark Kent.

Let a Calvin Ellis crash into say any place NOT named Harlem or Atlanta (enough with the defaults) and grows up. He hides his powers for reasons and finally comes out once he sees say Superman or Supergirl flying around.
    He comes out and we go from there.

In terms of future PROFIT having Calvin and Clark is way more of a money maker than a black Clark. Into the Spiderverse says WHAT'S UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Of course but many signs point to it. The news originally broke on Shadow and Act, with statements by Coates, Abrams and Emmerich. Then people like Borys Kit and Justin Kroll who are 2 of the most credible sources in the industry, report that WB has wanted to have a black Superman for years. Then they announce a Superman reboot during Black History Month, penned by a black writer whose work is usually centered on black experience. I would be rather surprised if they cast a white actor in the role.
    Seriously this. There’s a method to the madness. I’m rooting for Calvin Ellis, I love that guy and I want to see him on the big screen. MBJ named Calvin as the Superman he would want to play so I’m hopeful I’ll get what I want.

But Abrams and Coates is not a creative team I have much enthusiasm for. Abrams is a creative hack and Coates can’t write fiction. His Black Panther has been crap and his Cap has been mediocre. Guess we just have to hope for the best. Either way this pretty much marks the end for Cavill, and I’m not bothered by that. Give me black Superman over Evil Superman any day of the week (I was rooting for a Latino Superman though lol)
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I'd rather an Icon and Rocket movie. I think Superman in general has sort of flown the coop in terms of movies for a while. A new twist would be better IMO.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the issue would be-you got a BUNCH of black Supermen already established. Why even mess with Clark Kent?

The issue many have is all these already established black folks keep getting pushed aside for a racebent version or a black person in a white person's outfit.

If I am going to invest say $250 million for a black Superman-it better be Calvin Ellis or Val. Not Clark Kent.

Let a Calvin Ellis crash into say any place NOT named Harlem or Atlanta (enough with the defaults) and grows up. He hides his powers for reasons and finally comes out once he sees say Superman or Supergirl flying around.
    He comes out and we go from there.

In terms of future PROFIT having Calvin and Clark is way more of a money maker than a black Clark. Into the Spiderverse says WHAT'S UP!
    I agree with you that they should let one of the other established black Supermen get a crack at a movie first before one with Clark, sky. Having said that, as I always do when a character or storyline diverges from the source material, I just accept it as an Elseworld and go along with it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather an Icon and Rocket movie. I think Superman in general has sort of flown the coop in terms of movies for a while. A new twist would be better IMO.
    black superman isn't a new twist?
    I mean honestly if they do this right and have baby superman land somewhere like atlanta or harlem as a baby you have a pretty good premise
    sort of like red son but good

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Seriously this. There’s a method to the madness. I’m rooting for Calvin Ellis, I love that guy and I want to see him on the big screen. MBJ named Calvin as the Superman he would want to play so I’m hopeful I’ll get what I want.

But Abrams and Coates is not a creative team I have much enthusiasm for. Abrams is a creative hack and Coates can’t write fiction. His Black Panther has been crap and his Cap has been mediocre. Guess we just have to hope for the best. Either way this pretty much marks the end for Cavill, and I’m not bothered by that. Give me black Superman over Evil Superman any day of the week (I was rooting for a Latino Superman though lol)
    I’m in the same boat, not a big fan of either Coates or Abrams but we don’t have a director yet and that will the make or break point for me. If they get a strong filmmaker to helm this and bring this vision of Superman to life I’ll be pretty stoked. If they bring in a director like Tim Story then that’s going to be a big no thanks for me. So I’ll reserve judgement once a director is announced.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I agree with you that they should let one of the other established black Supermen get a crack at a movie first before one with Clark, sky. Having said that, as I always do when a character or storyline diverges from the source material, I just accept it as an Elseworld and go along with it.
    Well if you use Calvin or Val..... you open the door to what Miles & Peter have.

Anyone notice this at DC-

A Black Batman and Robin
    Wonder Woman (Nubia)
    AquaLad (more than man)
    Flash (Kid Flash included)
    Green Lantern

Toss in Batwoman, Vixen & Black Lightning. Dig up whatever remains of Jason Rusch for Firestorm.

Anyone smells Black JLA?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I’m in the same boat, not a big fan of either Coates or Abrams but we don’t have a director yet and that will the make or break point for me. If they get a strong filmmaker to helm this and bring this vision of Superman to life I’ll be pretty stoked. If they bring in a director like Tim Story then that’s going to be a big no thanks for me. I’ll reserve judgement once a director is announced.
    Kevin Grevioux is around at DC. So is Ava.

I would keep an eye on Coolger since Black Panther 2 is something....

Coates is one of the bigger african american creatives right now
    Ava Duvarney is already doing New Gods so she's not available
    Ryan Coogler is locked down by Disney imo
    Opinions of his comics being what they are he is one of the biggest names right now. If WB/DC are serious about this new movie then they are right to go to him.

They also need to lock up MBJ and hurry before Marvel locks him down as the new Black Panther

The elseworlds content is definitely looking better than the actual DCEU stuff now

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    black superman isn't a new twist?
    I mean honestly if they do this right and have baby superman land somewhere like atlanta or harlem as a baby you have a pretty good premise
    sort of like red son but good
    No, no it isn't.

Incredible Member

Using Calvin would be so cool. Aside from being President of the USA he’s pretty much a blank slate character wise. Fans liked him, enough that let’s be honest Val Zod was created for Earth-2 who also ended up being quite liked, they’d be stupid not to use one of those versions after talking up the multiverse and using the flashes movie to establish it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well if you use Calvin or Val..... you open the door to what Miles & Peter have.

Anyone notice this at DC-

A Black Batman and Robin
    Wonder Woman (Nubia)
    AquaLad (more than man)
    Flash (Kid Flash included)
    Green Lantern

Toss in Batwoman, Vixen & Black Lightning. Dig up whatever remains of Jason Rusch for Firestorm.

Anyone smells Black JLA?
    If they make it, I will definitely see it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I don't see Coates or Abrams delivering a Superman that's all that different from Cavill to be honest.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this is like The Batman or something new. You lose a lot of interest when things are not part of a shared universe.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see Coates or Abrams delivering a Superman that's all that different from Cavill to be honest.
    His first arc of Black Panther had the king of Wakanda basically ignore a rape epidemic occurring right outside his capital. His most recent arc revealed that when futuristic Wakandans enslaved an entire galaxy of aliens T’Challa went along with it because he’d rather stupidly believe Wakandans aren’t capable of such evil than confront his own people. Throughout the run T’Challa has been depicted as a passive accomplice to widespread misogyny and violence against the oppressed, with very little to redeem the character in the final 2 issues of the run.

Coates does not believe in the aspirational element of superheroics he believes heroes are great in spite of their inherent evil, corruption, and bias. If he doesn’t understand the concept of T’Challa as an idealized king I don’t see him being able to grasp the idea of Superman as an idealized man. He’ll take the same hyper-realistic, grittier approach that Snyder did.