Page 907 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4078078578979039049059069079089099109119179571007 ... LastLast
Results 13,591 to 13,605 of 20948
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ Casts Indya Moore, Jani Zhao and Vincent Regan. Meanwhile, Randall Park is reprising his role from the 2018 billion dollar-grossing first installment.

The cast of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom has gotten a little deeper.

Jani Zhao, Indya Moore and Vincent Regan have joined the Warner Bros. DC movie that is now in production with James Wan in the director’s seat. Meanwhile, Randall Park has returned to reprise his role from the first big-budget installment in the adventures of the man who would be king of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis.

Jason Momoa is back as the half-human, half-Atlantean hero as are many of the first movie’s actors, including Patrick Wilson as Orm, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta, Amber Heard as Mera and Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus.

Plot details are being kept underwater but the new additions may reveal some scope to the action.

Zhao is playing a mystery character named Stingray. It is unclear if the role is villainous in nature but it is an original character created for the movie.

Moore is playing longtime DC character Karshon. The character was originally a Green Lantern villain (he first appeared in 1963’s Green Lantern No. 24) who was originally a shark that, after being hit with radiation, gained intelligence and telepathic powers.

Regan is playing Atlan, the ancient ruler of Atlantis who caused the city to sink into the sea. The character appeared briefly in the 2018 Aquaman movie and was portrayed by Graham McTavish. A plot thread in that movie featured Aquaman finding Atlan’s trident.

Park returns as Dr. Stephen Shin, a marine biologist who in the comics was obsessed with finding the location of Atlantis.

Wan and Peter Safran are producing the movie that has a Dec. 16, 2022 release date.

Zhao is a Portuguese actress of Chinese descent who is making her English-language feature debut with Kingdom. She is repped by UK’s KP Talent Management and McKeon/Myones Entertainment.

Moore was one of the stars of FX’s Pose and also appeared in Queen & Slim. They are repped by CAA, the Calli Company, and Del Shaw.

British thespian Regan has a varied resume that includes appearances in 300 and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance to TV’s The White Princess and Before We Die. He is repped by UK’s Independent Talent Group.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...st-1235020425/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

While it usually sucks seeing a franchise's villain poached for another IP, Shark seems like an obvious exception that they pretty much have to do lol.

Everybody forgets Green Lantern has a Shark villain not at all associated with King Shark .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Everybody forgets Green Lantern has a Shark villain not at all associated with King Shark .
    I legit used to think the two were the same character for the longest time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But live action films are a specific itch that fans like to be scratched and have desires to see a lot of the stuff they love from the comics replicated. Especially now when it's been proven skewing closer to the comics can still yield highly successful results. Getting it in games or cartoons is great as well, but those satisfy different fandom desires.
    And that itch is going to get scratched with Keaton and Batgirl, so no reason to get it in both continuities.
    There's also TV/streaming with Titans.

Yeah we're getting some form of it with Keaton, but Burton/Keaton's Batman already has some split opinions among the fanbase to begin with and is also past his prime. So it won't be the same as a prime Batman starring in his own films getting some Bat-family members. We haven't gotten an attempt since Shumacher, and that fucking sucked.
    I don't know why there's split opinions here? People mostly love Keaton's Batman. And I think it's better this way - a Batman past his prime gives the Batfamily more room to shine as kickass fighters, while in his prime Batman having a family takes more time away from him kicking ass. This way gives us a solo Batman in his prime, and an older Batman that allows more time to focus on the family. I think the family need to take up more screen time now for audiences to connect with them on the same level. Then in the future when the two are equal again to the audience we could have prime Batman and prime family sharing the screen.

We also have to count the first two Burton movies. So that's six, with at least The Batman being a #7. Vs. a measly 2 live action films with a Bat family.

It really has been overdone in comparison.
    Thought we were just counting films since - if we're counting all, you need to add the 66 film for the "and Robin" category - also maybe the two movie serials.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    And that itch is going to get scratched with Keaton and Batgirl, so no reason to get it in both continuities.
    There's also TV/streaming with Titans.
    Except not really, because like I said the specific desire to see a shared cinematic DC universe with the characters in their primes and together isn't going to be satisfied using a past his prime Batman from a previous continuity who will be taking a backseat to younger heroes he's mentoring. If we want to see the Dynamic Duo together in a film, we are evidentially SOL.

Streaming would be a consolation if the shows weren't so...cheap. You yourself have said that the Superman & Lois show is not as satisfying of a live action project as a well done big budget Superman would be. That's kind of where some fans are at with Nightwing/Titans/Bat-family.

I don't know why there's split opinions here? People mostly love Keaton's Batman. And I think it's better this way - a Batman past his prime gives the Batfamily more room to shine as kickass fighters, while in his prime Batman having a family takes more time away from him kicking ass. This way gives us a solo Batman in his prime, and an older Batman that allows more time to focus on the family. I think the family need to take up more screen time now for audiences to connect with them on the same level. Then in the future when the two are equal again to the audience we could have prime Batman and prime family sharing the screen.
    Keaton's definitely popular and iconic, but there have always been fan debates about how well he fits the character (at least both sides of the characters, many have said he's a better Batman than Bruce Wayne) plus there are Burton's weird characterizations. It will still generate a lot of interest, but it's not the same as a new Batman starting fresh.

I think it depends on how big the family is. If it's just Dick, it won't take focus away from Bruce at all because they are a partnership and grow together. He'd still get more screen time than Dick most likely and they'd kick ass together. Adapting the full Bat-family would require Bruce to take more of a back seat I agree, and would even work better after Bruce is dead or something and they carry on his legacy (the ones like Steph, Duke, etc, they aren't as close to him anyway). Personally, I just want Dick and Babs or this very reason.

Thought we were just counting films since - if we're counting all, you need to add the 66 film for the "and Robin" category - also maybe the two movie serials.
    Eh, I will concede the Adam West movie. Not sure about the serials though. Regardless, if we're counting all films, the last one with Bruce and Dick and Babs on screen together was 1997 and we've had five with just Bruce following in the last 20 so years. So we've had double the films of solo Bats vs. Dynamic Duo Bats, and they are all very close together

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Except not really, because like I said the specific desire to see a shared cinematic DC universe with the characters in their primes and together isn't going to be satisfied using a past his prime Batman from a previous continuity who will be taking a backseat to younger heroes he's mentoring. If we want to see the Dynamic Duo together in a film, we are evidentially SOL.
    Yes and no - if the Batman subforum here is anything to go by, there's a massive chunk of Batfamily fans who love the 'family many times more than the 'man. So for them the interest isn't in a prime Batman as part of the Dynamic Duo or greater family - they're just wanting to see Dick and Babs and some of the others.

Yes, there is of course the segment like you who want/prefer the Dynamic Duo aspect with both characters in their prime, but you can't please every dynamic. The solo Batman guys are getting their movie again, and the Batfamily in general fans are getting Batgirl that we know of now and probably more to come after that. The Dynamic Duo fans yes are SOL, but that's for now. We don't know what'll happen - The Batman might take on a different lighter tone by the second or third movie and get Robin, Affleck might stay on after Flash and get a Batfleck movie teaming up with one of his old Robin Nightwing (easy enough to retcon the dead Robin as Jason). There's no telling, just that that one segment of the three factions is SOL. And frankly, that's not a huge deal - as a Superman fan unsatisfied with the divisive takes of Returns and MoS and not a fan of S&L going with the hated and loathed (for me) Superdad/Superfamilyman take, I've been SOL for decades. Flash fans look to still be out of luck with how his movie is turning into a Super Friends team up. Green Lantern fans have been SOL since 2011 (the upcoming series might change that). Cyborg fans are definitely SOL. These things happen, these things change. SOL now might wind up the lucky winners tomorrow.

Streaming would be a consolation if the shows weren't so...cheap. You yourself have said that the Superman & Lois show is not as satisfying of a live action project as a well done big budget Superman would be. That's kind of where some fans are at with Nightwing/Titans/Bat-family.
    Not as satisfying, but not the same as not satisfying at all. Plus in my case some of the satisfaction others get from the show is lost on me - I don't like making Superman a father and family man, and taking him out of Metropolis to boot is just another mark against it for my preferences. Luckily it's so well written/directed/acted that I can still get some satisfaction out of it. And ultimately, we just need to take what satisfaction we can where we can. Is it as satisfying? No. But it's still more satisfying than nothing.
    Admittedly S&L is better than anything the Batfamily fans have right now, as Titans is the not good, but again Batgirl is coming up and there's bound to be more.

Keaton's definitely popular and iconic, but there have always been fan debates about how well he fits the character (at least both sides of the characters, many have said he's a better Batman than Bruce Wayne) plus there are Burton's weird characterizations. It will still generate a lot of interest, but it's not the same as a new Batman starting fresh.
    I know a few fans have said they felt that, but it's never really been a debate or hugely divisive I think. And I don't think any version of the character is going to please everyone. Bale didn't, Affleck didn't, I'm sure Pattinson won't. But Keaton's always been one of the better and more beloved takes to a larger than average segment.

And we got a Batman starting fresh - too fresh for a Robin, but we haven't seen it yet much less have an idea on how the sequels will go. But again, at some point it's like we Batman fans are asking for the moon - we're getting the Batfamily in some fashion over several media, whereas the Superfamily, Wonder Family, Flash Family, etc have to settle for no family ever the bulk of the time. Where's Superboy or Wonder Girl? Titans. Supergirl is in a good spot as the rare exception, CW show, Flash movie, HBO Max show. Flash Family has the CW show. Most families don't have it as good as the Bats. So the specific Batman you want isn't getting the specific Robin you want, most of them are currently in live media or will be in some form. Nightwing, Redhood, have Titans and I think that show has Babs' Oracle to boot. Babs' Batgirl is getting a film and will probably be teaming with a Batman. A Nightwing movie is in development hell but they keep wanting to do one that everyone knows it's inevitable sooner or later. At what point do we take the win?

I think it depends on how big the family is. If it's just Dick, it won't take focus away from Bruce at all because they are a partnership and grow together. He'd still get more screen time than Dick most likely and they'd kick ass together.
    True. And maybe we'll get it - and maybe we won't. Ultimately, I don't want it because we've gone so long without the dynamic duo dynamic, or that there's too many solo films, or whatever - if it happens, if it's there, it should only be because the director wants that dynamic, wants that character there. If Reeves has a vision for Grayson, sure. If he doesn't, then no. And to that, we can only wait for the sequel.

Adapting the full Bat-family would require Bruce to take more of a back seat I agree, and would even work better after Bruce is dead or something and they carry on his legacy (the ones like Steph, Duke, etc, they aren't as close to him anyway). Personally, I just want Dick and Babs or this very reason.
    God I hope that never, ever happens. "Carry on the legacy" is the comic trope I hate the most. Whenever someone says legacy my interest begins to plummet. Just personal tastes.

Eh, I will concede the Adam West movie. Not sure about the serials though. Regardless, if we're counting all films, the last one with Bruce and Dick and Babs on screen together was 1997 and we've had five with just Bruce following in the last 20 so years. So we've had double the films of solo Bats vs. Dynamic Duo Bats, and they are all very close together
    Eh, I wouldn't count the JL movie any more than you'd count the serials - big team movies just aren't under the same heading. It's not really a Batman movie.

Like I said, number of films seems an arbitrary measurement - Robin shouldn't be included to balance the scales or fill a quota, he should be included because the film-makers want him included. Otherwise we'll get another terrible 1997-like take that won't please anyone.

Hey, there's only room for one anthropomorphic shark in the DCU!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think creating new characters for Aquaman's 2nd movie is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think creating new characters for Aquaman's 2nd movie is weird.
    There's a rumor Garth will show up at least.

I still don't get why Shazam is fighting the Fates instead of any of his own villains.

Ultimate Member

Aqualad? I guess that makes sense with Supergirl and Batgirl showing up. Aquaman can get his sidekick too.

Extraordinary Member

There's a rumor Garth will show up at least.

I still don't get why Shazam is fighting the Fates instead of any of his own villains.
    You mean black Adam?

Ultimate Member

How many notable villains does Shazam have, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How many notable villains does Shazam have, anyway?
    He has a lot of good villains.

I think most fans, myself included, were upset that they had Mr. Mind show up at the end of the first movie and then announce that the villain in the next film will be "the gods". I'm a bit tired of ancient gods being the villains in superhero movies. Would much rather see some of Shazam's crazy villains on the big screen. a Mr. Mind team up with Ibac, Mr. Atom, and Sivana would've been great.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-26-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    He has a lot of good villains.

I think most fans, myself included, were upset that they had Mr. Mind show up at the end of the first movie and then announce that the villain in the next film will be "the gods". I'm a bit tired of ancient gods being the villains in superhero movies. Would much rather see some of Shazam's crazy villains on the big screen. a Mr. Mind team up with Ibac, Mr. Atom, and Sivana would've been great.
    Did they explain why Shazam 2 is going in this direction?