Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The funny thing is the cult will celebrate this like no tomorrow under the belief that whoever Zaslav brings in after Hamada would want to restore the Snyderverse, when that individual would just end up being the next schmuck they will inevitably go after.
    I've been joking about them doing it for awhile, but after this call I genuinely think it might be a possibility. They're that incompetent

If they’re keeping Batfleck, I can see them chosing the soft reboot route.
    Creatively, it worked pretty well for Suicide Squad.
    Just move on with a new story and don’t really work much about the technicalities of the past.
    The biggest obstacle would be the possible need to recast some roles like Superman, Mera etc, but I can totally see Gadot and Momoa continuing.

They could Flash to explain any inconsistencies and then just restart with something like:

- A Superman movie (a must)
    - A Gotham Knights Trilogy (telling the stories of Dick, Jason and Babs)
    - Titans spinning-off of the first GK movie, where Dick becomes Nightwing. Starring the NTT (including Cyborg).
    - Black Adam vs Shazam
    - A JSA movie spinning-off of Black Adam I, with Black Canary as the POV trying to piece together the team’s history.
    - Wonder Woman finally set in the present (this could be a good way to make it a fresh start for the character)
    - Aquaman movie expanding on the Atlantis setting and introducing Tempest, Kaldur etc.
    - An actual Flash movie with a new Barry actor or Wally as the new lead.
    - Green Lantern Corps starring Hal and John, FINALLY.

Everything would culminate on a new Justice League movie based on Morrison’s first arc, where:
    - Martian Manhunter brings the team together. Even if their first adventure is canon, they can just explain that the League never got together again for a major threat.
    - Starring Superman, WW, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, MM, John Stewart and Black Canary.

There’s still a lot that can be done, and this is without using any lesser known IPs.

Incredible Member

Warner Bros. Discovery Takes $825M Writedown on Content Following High-Profile DC Axings and TBS-TNT Cancelations

The writedowns likely include shows like 'Chad' and 'The Last O.G.,' as well as projects like DC's 'Wonder Twins,' with 'Batgirl' likely to be written down next quarter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...nt-1235192629/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

When asked why he shelved the Batgirl movie, Zaslov said "Because girls are yucky!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Everyone's talking about Leslie Grace but she will bounce back. She's a talented actress. I'm surprised no one is mentioning Micheal Keaton. I'm sure he's royally pissed. Batgirl movie gets shut down and he gets replaced by Batfleck. Talk about a double wammy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Everyone's talking about Leslie Grace but she will bounce back. She's a talented actress. I'm surprised no one is mentioning Micheal Keaton. I'm sure he's royally pissed. Batgirl movie gets shut down and he gets replaced by Batfleck. Talk about a double wammy.
    Keaton recently stated that he doesn't watch DC and Marvel movies. He doesn't care about superhero movies. It doesn't bother him. Recently he won his first Emmy. He will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I mean only one of those tweets comes from anybody with anything resembling insider knowledge.

I think Hamada should get out while he can, Zaslav doesn't deserve him. But if he stuck around I would enjoy seeing some of the brains that break.

But then again I'm still hoping they bring back the Snyderverse so that they can go out in a firey explosion.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I mean he already got paid. I don't think he cares beyond that.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Keaton recently stated that he doesn't watch DC and Marvel movies. He doesn't care about superhero movies. It doesn't bother him. Recently he won his first Emmy. He will be fine.
    Not watching comic book movies and participating in one are two different things. It's like a salesman selling a product and he sells it well believes in the product and then the company cancels the thing he's good at and probably has a good reputation for.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean he already got paid. I don't think he cares beyond that.
    And that is the reason why some people view salesman and lawyers as unfeeling sharks chasing the money instead of caring about the product and people they are selling and helping. Sure actors work for pay but Keaton made the movies to be seen by the movie going public not just the crew.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Certain films have to be released theatrically due to contracts, especially with big name talent. Otherwise huge payouts and penalties have to be awarded to the wronged party. Batgirl didn’t feature this because it was a streaming movie from its inception. Not to mention the difference in budget - all the movies he mentioned have bigger budgets than Batgirl. I don’t think he mentioned blue beetle at all, which is quite interesting. I heard it may have gone from streaming to theatrical, but if it wasn’t mentioned at all then who knows. The fact is, throwing away one 90 million streaming movie looks bad enough, but throwing away 4 films that each cost probably about 200 to 300 million each to make would be irredeemable (1billion dollars wasted, without a chance to recoup losses in the near future, whilst they’re already in debt)

Barring Peacemaker S2, I think everything in your second paragraph was bought in and agreed to during the last regime, and the fact is, Batgirl has set a new precedent - we can’t trust anything will come out until it’s actually started its marketing push. Gal Gadot can SAY what she wants, but until that first trailer comes out, we can’t be sure it comes out. A whole movie was shot and edited then binned.
    Again, this is a lot of wild speculation without much evidence. And yeah: it would look bad to throw away several films that already costs hundreds of millions to make. But imagine also throwing away the franchises themselves, especially when at least one of them has already proven to be a billion dollar franchise. That's basically throwing a cash cow away.

On top of that, unlike Momoa's Aquaman or Gadot's Wonder Woman, Leslie Grace's Batgirl hadn't been debuted to the world yet. She hadn't had the chance to attract fans yet. Because, again, Momoa and Gadot have literally become stars because of their roles. Their portrayals have attracted a lot of fans. That's literally what any movie studio would want.

I disagree - I think the general audience aren’t that connected to any of the actor/character combinations with the exception of Gadot and Margot Robbie as Harley. I genuinely think you could replace the entire Justice League actors and outside of Gadot, the general public wouldn’t question it too much. I also think the brand as it is is as bad as it could be in people’s eyes, ESPECIALLY considering Batgirl, Ezra Miller, The Snyder Cut, and Amber Heard. Give it a couple of years, reboot it with a brand new Superman movie (maybe Green Lantern instead as it’ll be about 15 years following his film) and you’ve got a whole new generation of kids that will accept it. Move on from there.
    Again, it won't happen. Firstly, WB wouldn't want to wait as long as it would take for people to forget the DCEU. Secondly, a lot of DCEU content still performs really well. Peacemaker was a hit for HBO Max. Aquaman made over a billion dollars. Zachary Levi's Shazam is beloved by critics. And even you say people would not want to see someone other than Gadot as Wonder Woman. So, are they supposed to restart the DC Universe without Wonder Woman? Seems like a pretty big omission.

The Spider-Man comparison isn’t that bad really. Amazing Spider-Man 2 did badly, they decided to give the IP to a new group of creatives that felt they could do something interesting with it. 2 years later a new actor took on the role and became synonymous with it to a whole new group of fans. WB is under new direction, they can choose to go a completely new direction with it. Simple as.
    No, it is a bad comparison. It's an entirely different situation. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was received badly, but Spider-Man Homecoming was greenlit largely because the studio wanted to get Spider-Man into the MCU. Because they knew that would be a huge draw for fans and that that movie would perform well because of that. It wasn't just a case of "new creatives." It was a case where they were able to bring Marvel's flagship character into the ongoing shared universe that was wildly successful and, to many people, is the definitive version of those characters.

In this scenario, you already have a shared universe, where yeah, some properties underperformed, but several others exceeded expectations. And even for some of the ones that underperformed, people still want to see more of them. How many people have we seen clamoring for Cavill to return as Superman? A lot. Like, one of the main news stories coming out of Comic Con were the rumors of Cavill making an appearance.

I’m not saying they don’t have their fans, even the worst movies have their fans, but I don’t think anyone would boycot an Aquaman movie without Jason Momoa. Wonder Woman is slightly harder, but at this point WW3 will be out 2024 at the latest, 4 years after her last movie was QUITE underwhelming for the majority. I just think they’d have less of a difficult job if they rebooted entirely, as opposed to trying to force this one to work for the majority of people. Especially when their main competition has maintained a great momentum for about 14 years.
    It would at least be a significantly harder sell. And again, if they just rebooted entirely, they would have to wait a significant amount of time before making another attempt at a shared universe. Like, maybe five years if not a full 10. And that wouldn't make sense at a time when the DCEU has actually started to gain some momentum and critical acclaim.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-05-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Not really the important thing to point out, but for the record, he hasn't won an Emmy. At least not yet. He was nominated for his role in Dopesick. He might win it, though, since he just won the SAG Award for that role.

The man decades into his career is better off than the actress whose been in one movie.

Batgirl was going to be her second movie credit, still fresh enough to probably find something else, also a pretty big stain early in her career. Time will tell but being the lead in a movie just for it to be scrapped in post-production is dumbfounding.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Extraordinary Member

Someone on reddit claiming to have info on what appears to be a WBD all hands following the earnings call - everything in there seems plausible but obviously take it with a grain of salt.