Page 425 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429435475525925 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,375 of 20948
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Given Goyer's involvement in MOS and BVS (though I believe the latter was rewritten after his initial draft, so who knows) and the way the studio has spent the last several years trying to pivot away from that, I doubt they'd turn to him for such a capacity. In fact, he's no longer attached to the GLC film anymore, is he?
    I was just pointing out that there's been a lot of producers who had one foot in the comic books. Michael Uslan being perhaps the most dedicated comic book fan/writer to turn to movie production and stick it out for decades, championing DC properties. Kevin Feige isn't a magical unicorn--he's just been fortunate to be at the right place at the wrong time (when Marvel was swallowed by the Dark Infamous Sith Night Empire Ymir).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was just pointing out that there's been a lot of producers who had one foot in the comic books. Michael Uslan being perhaps the most dedicated comic book fan/writer to turn to movie production and stick it out for decades, championing DC properties. Kevin Feige isn't a magical unicorn--he's just been fortunate to be at the right place at the wrong time (when Marvel was swallowed by the Dark Infamous Sith Night Empire Ymir).
    Now you've done it, Jim! We're going to get 50 links that Feige is indeed a magical unicorn.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I don't think Feige is any sort of magical unicorn, just, as I said, I don't think there's been anyone else to fill that similar role successfully. Certainly at WB and Fox, we've had a far less consistent batting average, especially when it came to attempting rival cinematic universes. Which I honestly didn't mind too much when got the occasional gem like Logan or Joker, which never would've happened at Disney.

I'd say there's definitely more to it than that. He seems to have figured out the very fine line of keeping the characters appealing to fans and mainstream audiences on a fairly consistent basis without (usually) courting controversy or divisiveness. It's also led to a lot of cookie cutter movies that aren't terribly memorable, but they haven't yet had a major misfire on the level of some of their rival superhero franchises (or former, in the case of Fox).

It's the double edged sword of being a producer-driven franchise instead of a director-driven one like WB's DC flicks, I suppose. Playing it safe means a certain formulaic element, but also means they aren't gonna produce anything that seriously damages the brand in a significant way. It makes me wonder what would've happened had there been a similar guiding hand at the beginning of the DCEU to veto some of the more controversial decisions of the early flicks. Perhaps the universe could've started off on a more stable footing and we wouldn't have stuff like an already rebooted Batman or Superman currently being trapped in limbo.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-29-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Honestly, I don't think you can downplay what Feige has meant for the MCU. He's basically a movie guy with experience going back a decade producing movies who also happens to have a very deep, wide knowledge of comic books. That is probably the best way to adapt comics to the big screen. A movie guy who's a fan as opposed to the other way around. For the most part, Disney has pretty much let him operate how he wants. I think the one exception is when they fired Gunn which he was reportedly very angry about. Hell, it's even more impressive when you consider that the MCU movies were being handicapped by Ike Perlmutter and the Marvel committee who kept making creative changes up to 2015. Since Disney granted Feige independence from them in 2015, the MCU has been even more[/B] succesful critically and commercially. In the end, I think the bulk of the credit goes to him

Re: Joker

If it had been PG-13 (and still able to work as a film after the necessary cuts) instead of R, could it have made the 2 billion mark? R-rated films tend to do half the business of the PG-13 ones, so it's interesting to ponder.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Re: Joker

If it had been PG-13 (and still able to work as a film after the necessary cuts) instead of R, could it have made the 2 billion mark? R-rated films tend to do half the business of the PG-13 ones, so it's interesting to ponder.
    Maybe but if you let it be known that the dvd will be the R-rate (or unrated) version-you were going to make that billion on dvd alone.

Retired

I think the reason JOKER hit a billion in our universe was because it was R. If it had been PG-13, it would have been a different movie and wouldn't have attracted the kind of controversy that made it a must-see for water cooler conversations. In another universe, maybe Schrödinger's Cat is licking JOKER and it made its billion by playing in China and not being at all controversial to the Politburo--but in our universe that cat died, in the ultimate battle against the super-rats.

Astonishing Member

I think the reason JOKER hit a billion in our universe was because it was R. If it had been PG-13, it would have been a different movie and wouldn't have attracted the kind of controversy that made it a must-see for water cooler conversations.
    Agreed. It's 800-850M if it's PG-13. Still phenomenal but that R made it enticing. Give it a PG-13 and no controversy probably even lower than 800M.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Agreed. It's 800-850M if it's PG-13. Still phenomenal but that R made it enticing. Give it a PG-13 and no controversy probably even lower than 800M.
    I can't see it going lower if it had been PG-13, IMO. I still think it hits a billion, but it wouldn't be as impressive of an achievement.

You know, I see all these articles claiming that "tHe sNyDer cUT DoEsN't eXIsT", calling it "fabled", a "pipe dream", etc. Well, about that...

EK8z40wXYAAhvnb.jpg
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Obviously, no major updates to announce from TPTB. One trade wrote 1-2 weeks ago that an industry "insider" said there was no chance of Zack's cut being released. But, it's still being refuted by people who worked on the movie. In addition, Chris Terrio had a short remark regarding the movie that he advised he couldn't speak about until after the release of The Rise of Skywalker. Could be a Disney mandate or perhaps NDA expiring? For the record, Terrio was the original writer on BvS and Justice League.

The thing is, I can’t really speak to that at this moment," Terrio revealed. "But I promise that I will talk to you about that very thing at some point after [the release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker]."
    When the interviewer mentioned that they have "a lot to talk about" in the future, Terrio responded, "Yes, we do. We seriously do."

From: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/12/03/...-chris-terrio/
    For the record, to anyone still insisting a "Snyder Cut" doesn't exist and/or doesn't have it's run time locked (once final time is locked, the movie is basically done), I present you the following from Snyder himself:

ZS-JL-214.jpg

The film canisters read as follows

Z.S.
    JL
    Director's Cut
    Running Time 214

Lastly, here's a link to a Twitter and Reddit discussion from Fabian Wagner who was the original cinematographer for Justice League: https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...ut_snyder_cut/

He says there were about 55 days of re-shoots and possibly only 10% of what he originally shot ended up in the theatrical release, which he clarifies he wasn't a fan of.

- - - - -

IN OTHER NEWS:

We should be getting the first Wonder Woman 1984 teaser trailer this weekend premiering at CCXP 2019. There is also supposed to be additional news for Birds of Prey coming by the end of this weekend.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Here's what I think WB should do: Adapt DC's New Frontier and at the end of the movie you transport the heroes to our present.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Here's what I think WB should do: Adapt DC's New Frontier and at the end of the movie you transport the heroes to our present.
    I don't think it would be able to top the animated film.

Retired

Every animation adaptation of a comic book that I've seen has never been as good--and they usually seem to hit the points that were weakest for me in the comic book. I liked most of NEW FRONTIER, the comic book, but the animated version highlighted those things I didn't like.

I wouldn't mind a live action adaptation of some kind, but I'd want it to be in its own universe.

Now a days, you put an Anti Hero up there you can just print the money. Especially if it's a violent Anti-hero with a finger wave to the "MAN".