Page 798 of 833 FirstFirst ... 298698748788794795796797798799800801802808 ... LastLast
Results 11,956 to 11,970 of 12494
  1. #11956
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,395

    Default

    The claim Marvel doesn't also race swap characters is 100 percent false, by the way.



    Last edited by Holt; 05-06-2021 at 01:15 PM.

  2. #11957
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    It depends. They stumbled with Ayer's Joker and turned it around with a billion dollar Oscar winner the Joker film Stranger things have happened.
    Ayer's Joker is kind of the odd man out compared to Ledger and Phoenix, and further back with Nicholson. They've consistently done well with the Joker and most Batman related content.

    After Superman Returns and MOS/BvS, them doing yet another controversial take on Superman by the guy who I guess added rape camps into Wakanda and produced by the guy who did ROS doesn't seem like we're looking at another Oscar winner situation. A race bent Superman picture could be good, but why on Earth should we trust this studio to be the one to do it?

  3. #11958
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    450

    Default

    when instead of trying to create a great story, you change the color of the character, you show that the character matters very little to you, the only thing that matters to warner / dc is the S, whoever carries it, the story they have, that is not It matters, only the S, I wonder what will happen when the S loses its importance. I guess they changed it for another letter. Disney / marvel >>>>>>>>>>>> warner / dc.

  4. #11959
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The claim Marvel doesn't also race swap characters is 100 percent false, by the way.



    Those characters are less well known than Jimmy Olsen (Jenny in MoS) and Perry White (black in MoS), when Marvel pulls out a black Thor or a black Steve Rogers then you can compare.

  5. #11960
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Those characters are less well known than Jimmy Olsen (Jenny in MoS) and Perry White (black in MoS), when Marvel pulls out a black Thor or a black Steve Rogers then you can compare.
    Well they DID do a black Nick Fury, but that had some precedent by that point.

  6. #11961
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,395

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Those characters are less well known than Jimmy Olsen (Jenny in MoS) and Perry White (black in MoS), when Marvel pulls out a black Thor or a black Steve Rogers then you can compare.
    How known they are doesn't matter, because to Castling's point most people watching the movie don't give a shit. This is something hardcore fans get pissed about, not your average viewer. By your own point, of all the many criticisms of BVS and Man of Steel, I've never met anyone who said their biggest problem was that Perry White was black or Jimmy was a woman.

  7. #11962
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,419

    Default

    At this point I think pretty much only comic fans know that Nick Fury was originally white. When has OG Fury even appeared in outside media after the 90s Spider-Man cartoon.

  8. #11963
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    At this point I think pretty much only comic fans know that Nick Fury was originally white. When has OG Fury even appeared in outside media after the 90s Spider-Man cartoon.
    Well, there was the David Hasselhoff movie.

  9. #11964
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Well they can be mad about anything on twitter
    Table scraps would be accepting Val-zod or Calvin ellis two characters specifically created so that the perfect hegemony of multiverse white superman could be upheld without conflict
    instead they are writing a role and casting whoever in a role because none of these non poc characters have race intrinsically linked to their character
    especially superman

    Unless you want to tell me what is so inherently important about Superman's whiteness in comics
    I mean there are black kryptonians
    They have their own island which is another hilarious racial faceplant thrown into comics lore
    Thatís not the argument. The argument is that DC would rather push White characters but change their race than push actual characters of color who could use the exposure! Donít get why some people donít get that a lot of POC fans are pissed off that we canít get our OWN characters and instead have to settle for race swaps! Iím sorry but a race swap does nothing for me! Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes do more for diversity than a Latina as Kara/Supergirl ever could! Likewise for John/Static/Cyborg rather than Black actor as Superman/Hawkman. And Iím definitely not alone in feeling this way... you can find POC fans all over social media and this forum saying the exact same thing
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  10. #11965
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    I would really like a Jessica Cruz movie.

    She's always been the most compelling of the GL's to me.

  11. #11966
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I would really like a Jessica Cruz movie.

    She's always been the most compelling of the GL's to me.
    Same, Jess is my favourite of the Lanterns. Luckily we'll see her live action debut in the HBO live action show of the Green lantern Corps (although it's written by Guggenheim, ugh).

  12. #11967
    Astonishing Member Nite-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Thatís not the argument. The argument is that DC would rather push White characters but change their race than push actual characters of color who could use the exposure! Donít get why some people donít get that a lot of POC fans are pissed off that we canít get our OWN characters and instead have to settle for race swaps! Iím sorry but a race swap does nothing for me! Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes do more for diversity than a Latina as Kara/Supergirl ever could! Likewise for John/Static/Cyborg rather than Black actor as Superman/Hawkman. And Iím definitely not alone in feeling this way... you can find POC fans all over social media and this forum saying the exact same thing
    Nah sorry don't agree with this
    You can see all these characters in tv or streaming or animated movies
    What you are complaining about is Latina supergirl or black superman simply for the sake of upholding the virtue of other characters that are already being featured in other media
    Its ridiculous and a weak argument
    Black Lightning has a TV show a very good one
    Jessica Cruz is going to star in the green lanterns show

    A movie featuring a black superman is only controversial because you are trying to create a situation where other characters are not pushed by this decision which is false

    This racswapping has been going on since the 60s and 70s and suddenly its a big issue because of superman???

  13. #11968
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The claim Marvel doesn't also race swap characters is 100 percent false, by the way.



    But I wouldn't say it's that much more prevalent compared to them actually promoting their diverse characters.

    Who is the biggest character they've race-bent? Valkyrie? Michelle Jones? Probably some other redheads.

  14. #11969
    Incredible Member Castling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I wouldn't say it's that much more prevalent compared to them actually promoting their diverse characters.

    Who is the biggest character they've race-bent? Valkyrie? Michelle Jones? Probably some other redheads.
    Don't forget that Mar-vell was gender-swapped in Captain Marvel.
    But again, general audiences don't care.

  15. #11970
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Don't forget that Mar-vell was gender-swapped in Captain Marvel.
    And was barely in the movie, even if to a significant extent.
    But again, general audiences don't care.
    Doesn't mean it's not something worth discussing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •