Page 562 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 624625125525585595605615625635645655665726126621062 ... LastLast
Results 8,416 to 8,430 of 20948

I think DC should get their foundation and standalone films in order before they try to go heavy on a shared universe.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think DC should get their foundation and standalone films in order before they try to go heavy on a shared universe.
    It will just make it easier in the long run to ditch any form of continuity. The thing with shared universe's is it takes planning and an overall investment. Since JL didn't work that is all justification WB needs to simply ditch any film that has more than one superhero. These new solo films may be good in their own right, but anyone that would like to see any kind of team up in a live action movie will be left out in the cold.

Ultimate Member

Yeah. The DC attempt at worldbuilding a shared universe isn't alone. Universal studios tried a monster-movie shared universe recently, and it flopped even harder. I think the takeaway here isn't that DC (or Universal, or anyone else) is bad or wrong-headed or whatever, it's that what Marvel did is hard, and they got a good combination of vision, talent, timing and luck, that DC hasn't been able to replicate in pushing the idea of a shared DC universe. Instead of letting success build on success, a series of premature, in some cases, IMO, rushed even if all the elements weren't in place yet, false starts has set them on their back foot, and the 'trust' that audiences get going into a movie with the Marvel brand isn't there yet for fans who go into a DC movie with a sense of 'how will *this* disappoint me?'

That's not a great feeling. I love lots of DC characters (and elements of the setting), and want great movies about them. I want to have the same feel of 'okay, I have no idea who these guys (Guardians of the Galaxy) are, or I don't even particularly like this character (Ant-Man, Black Panther), but it's going to be great!' going into a Marvel movie.

I feel like the elements are *still* not in place for a shared world setup from DC. Marvel's shared world started with a standalone movie, Iron Man, with only a teaser of a shared setting in the end credits. All it would take would be one great *standalone* movie to start building up that audience trust, instead of diving into building a shared world.

By the time Marvel made a true shared universe movie, Avengers, they had already had made FIVE standalone movies, introducing Captain America, Iron Man (twice!), Thor and, kinda/sorta, the Hulk, individually. The world was built, and they just had to tie it all together. The *second* DCEU movie was already bringing Batman and Wonder Woman into the story, and they hadn't even had their standalone's yet!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Yeah, I’m not interested in non connected DC movies. If that’s the case then just make mine Marvel. Also can’t believe they’re going the “realistic” route with Batman again! We literally just had that!! Damn it!

Luckily though all the future Dc filmA seem connected, excepted for the Nolan 2.0 upcoming Batman Trilogy.
    I'm really over the whole everything is connected aspect of the MCU, which is why DC is refreshing in that not everything has to be part of some big universe. Marvel or Cinematic Universe fatigue is real. Joker was a great change of pace.

And really, "literally" just had that? Last Nolan film was near a decade ago and Affleck was anything but grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    It will just make it easier in the long run to ditch any form of continuity. The thing with shared universe's is it takes planning and an overall investment. Since JL didn't work that is all justification WB needs to simply ditch any film that has more than one superhero. These new solo films may be good in their own right, but anyone that would like to see any kind of team up in a live action movie will be left out in the cold.
    Fine by me, the team up movies haven't been as good in my opinion. Good movies over team ups for the sake of team ups.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Fine by me, the team up movies haven't been as good in my opinion. Good movies over team ups for the sake of team ups.
    That is the thing they should be capable of making both. But clearly the team up films take more of a plan and investment on the studios side. First they tried to just jump to Justice League and now they just sideline the idea all together because their idea of rushing it didn't work. So all the fans that would like something like that are out of luck. I hope The Batman is great but I already have Burton's films and Nolan's. I'd like to get to the point of seeing the rest of the Bat Family and at this rate that is never going to happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    TI'd like to get to the point of seeing the rest of the Bat Family and at this rate that is never going to happen.
    That's such a shame. I don't know why Hollywood directors don't like the Bat family, Batman' like Wolverine - a self described loner who constantly creates families around himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's such a shame. I don't know why Hollywood directors don't like the Bat family, Batman' like Wolverine - a self described loner who constantly creates families around himself.
    Why do you think it has anything to do with not liking them? Maybe the story they have in mind just doesn't require them.

Besides we've gotten Robin and Batgirl in the movies.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-15-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why do you think it has anything to do with not liking them? Maybe the story they have in mind just doesn't require them.

Besides we've gotten Robin and Batgirl in the movies.
    Burton wasn't a fan of the comics, and his interests weren't in bringing other masked allies aside from Cat woman. Nolan wanted Batman alone, rather than give him a sidekick he ended his trilogy on Bruce passing the mantle to someone else. Schumacker's the only director who tried to do anything with them and they were awful.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think Burton and Nolan have both spoken about not being interested in the Robin concept, and Bale once famously said he'd chain himself up in his bathroom and not come to work if he saw Robin the script. Nolan only included a nod to Robin at the end, albeit one that was a composite character and heavily altered. Snyder was only going to include Dick Grayson, and have him be dead by the time we met Batman.

I'm doubtful we'll ever get a full Bat-family in the movies considering the creators may not want all of them and there are limits with time, but I would like for Reeves to at least do a proper Dick Grayson as Robin movie. It's long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think Burton and Nolan have both spoken about not being interested in the Robin concept, and Bale once famously said he'd chain himself up in his bathroom and not come to work if he saw Robin the script. Nolan only included a nod to Robin at the end, albeit one that was a composite character and heavily altered. Snyder was only going to include Dick Grayson, and have him be dead by the time we met Batman.

I'm doubtful we'll ever get a full Bat-family in the movies considering the creators may not want all of them and there are limits with time, but I would like for Reeves to at least do a proper Dick Grayson as Robin movie. It's long overdue.
    If we're getting a trilogy, I'm at least expecting 1-2 sidekicks. I would say it was likelier we'd get Robin before it seemed like Reeves was going for an even more grounded take than Nolan did, but we still don't know everything about his take.

Who knows what's going on with that Batgirl film at this point.

I really don't want to see Robin in film. He works best in animation and series like Titans.

I really don't want to see Robin in film. He works best in animation and series like Titans.
    I don't think he's that hard to pull off, though.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't think he's that hard to pull off, though.
    He's a child soldier. It's gonna be pretty hard. Especially, on a medium that is based more on realism. Then again, We had a sidekick in kickass. But, bruce would need to look more deranged.

I'm really over the whole everything is connected aspect of the MCU, which is why DC is refreshing in that not everything has to be part of some big universe. Marvel or Cinematic Universe fatigue is real. Joker was a great change of pace.

And really, "literally" just had that? Last Nolan film was near a decade ago and Affleck was anything but grounded.
    Except it isn’t real when you consider the fact that 5/6 last Marvel films released grossed over a billion versus 2/6 last DC films grossing over a billion (2 didn’t even make half a billion lol, and the other one barely did). I think something is wrong when Black Widow has a higher chance of reaching a billion than Wonder Woman does.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!