Page 791 of 834 FirstFirst ... 291691741781787788789790791792793794795801 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,865 of 12497
  1. #11851
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    They are using an in-house style because it's a shared universe and if it's not in a shared universe they are going to use a different style. This is no different than how they did things last time.

  2. #11852
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Killing Joke, Gotham by Gaslight, and Red Son were all changed just as much if not more.
    Killing Joke wasn't really changed much at all. They just added a terrible, terrible story that nobody liked before the events of TKJ, but the actual TKJ portion of that movie was very faithful. It's just that stupid story they added before the events of TKJ. Just skip that.

    And Red Son wasn't changed that much from what I can remember. Not saying that there weren't changes, nor that the changes were good, just that it wasn't that wildly different.

    Gotham by Gaslight though yes. That's the exception though.

  3. #11853
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's funnier how the in-continuity DoS adapted more from the comics than Doomsday did...like, y'know, Reign of the Supermen .
    Eh, I didn't like their Reign of the Supermen adaptation - felt like it was a mediocre step down from the stellar DoS. They were released as separate movies, so I don't consider RotS and DoS as the same thing. I mean same continuity, sequel, yada yada yada, but you don't have to watch the latter to enjoy the former, and I'd just skip rewatching it. DoS is the better film.

  4. #11854
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    They are using an in-house style because it's a shared universe and if it's not in a shared universe they are going to use a different style. This is no different than how they did things last time.
    Basically this. The Long Halloween is a part of their shared universe. That's not a good thing though, in my opinion.

  5. #11855
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I didn't like their Reign of the Supermen adaptation - felt like it was a mediocre step down from the stellar DoS. They were released as separate movies, so I don't consider RotS and DoS as the same thing. I mean same continuity, sequel, yada yada yada, but you don't have to watch the latter to enjoy the former, and I'd just skip rewatching it. DoS is the better film.
    I thought Reign was awesome and part of a great Supreman duology,, but to each their own .

    (I mean, there are Reign post-credit scenes and setup in DoS so I feel like you're obligated to watch it if nothing else).

  6. #11856
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Reign was awesome and part of a great Supreman duology,, but to each their own .

    (I mean, there are Reign post-credit scenes and setup in DoS so I feel like you're obligated to watch it if nothing else).
    Obligated maybe, but in the same way you're obligated to watch Back to the Future 2 after the first. Doesn't mean it's the same film or experience.

    Cool you liked Reign, I thought it was okay, but for me it clearly wasn't half the quality of DoS. DoS was a surprisingly well done film that stood above the pack. Reign was just an average forgettable and disposable hour of entertainment. It was enjoyable, but it never rose above being mediocre fun time killer. DoS rose well above that, at least for me.

  7. #11857
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Obligated maybe, but in the same way you're obligated to watch Back to the Future 2 after the first. Doesn't mean it's the same film or experience.

    Cool you liked Reign, I thought it was okay, but for me it clearly wasn't half the quality of DoS. DoS was a surprisingly well done film that stood above the pack. Reign was just an average forgettable and disposable hour of entertainment. It was enjoyable, but it never rose above being mediocre fun time killer. DoS rose well above that, at least for me.
    They're two of my personal favorite Superman films and in my top 10 DC Animated Features, but again, to each their own .

    Reign just had a lot of moments I loved and I think, even truncated, it did the story it was adapting justice.

  8. #11858
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're two of my personal favorite Superman films and in my top 10 DC Animated Features, but again, to each their own .

    Reign just had a lot of moments I loved and I think, even truncated, it did the story it was adapting justice.
    Maybe if you're a huge fan of each of the different Supermen, in which case it might not matter that the film is rushed or has a lot of flaws or doesn't live up to the previous entry, you're just so happy to have a movie about these characters that the rest doesn't matter?
    I mostly just got a kick out of Superboy, who was awesome in this, but I'm at the point where I don't care as much if the story has characters I love, it still needs to be a great story on top of that (Godzilla is one of my all time favorites, but the last two films disappointed me). And for me, the story just felt so rushed and cramped to be that good. It was a decent time waster, but it wasn't great. Death of Superman was great (and I'm not a fan of the premise of killing Superman at all).

  9. #11859
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    I don't know, I also happened to like Reign. It streamlined all those random ideas, giving a greater purpose to the all story. I'm not the biggest fan of Darkseid but I thought the double reveal of Henshaw's backstory and how Darkseid put into motion the whole thing was quite better than the original story.

  10. #11860
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't know, I also happened to like Reign. It streamlined all those random ideas, giving a greater purpose to the all story. I'm not the biggest fan of Darkseid but I thought the double reveal of Henshaw's backstory and how Darkseid put into motion the whole thing was quite better than the original story.
    It might be better than the original story - haven't read those old comics. But the movie still just a fun but forgettable way to kill an hour that doesn't impact me, which makes it a step down or four from my viewing of DoS.
    Still, it has the benefit of being one of the very few "good" films of the DCAMU/Tucker-era. To me, DoS is closer to, say, Under the Red Hood or Crisis on Two Earths - a stand out of its era. Meanwhile Reign is more like Superman Batman: Public Enemies. A fun, entertaining movie, but not up to the level of the other two listed.

  11. #11861
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,205

    Default

    Behind Warner Bros.’ Search for a Black Superman

    When Warners announced in February that celebrated author Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the screenplay and Abrams is producing, it did not address the matter of helming. But insiders say Warners and DC are committed to hiring a Black director to tackle what will be the first cinematic incarnation of Superman featuring a Black actor, with one source adding that putting Abrams at the helm would be “tone-deaf.”

    In a fitting twist, the director search is pitting DC against none other than Marvel. As Warners looks to fill its Superman vacancy, Marvel is on the hunt for a Blade helmer and is combing through the same list. But the question will come down to what kind of filmmaker Bad Robot and Warners want: an up-and-comer who can be backed by Abrams, who knows his way around tentpoles and franchises? Or an established filmmaker like a Barry Jenkins or a Ryan Coogler?

    The former list can include Creed II’s Steven Caple Jr., J.D. Dillard, Regina King — who got raves for her drama One Night in Miami — and Shaka King, who is popular at Warners thanks to best picture Oscar nominee Judas and the Black Messiah. Some potential directors have met with both studios for both films, even as one agent said the process was “phenomenally early.” Meanwhile, Coogler may be a nonstarter for either assignment given that he will be occupied with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which releases July 8, 2022.

    Coates isn’t expected to deliver his Superman script until midDecember. Likewise, Marvel isn’t rushing with Blade, whose start date was pushed from this September to July 2022, so that the studio can spend time working on the Stacy Osei-Kuffour-penned script.

    While the next Superman will likely land with a name director, the star could be a relative unknown, as was the case when Brandon Routh suited up for Bryan Singer’s 2006 Superman Returns and Henry Cavill donned the cape for Zack Snyder’s 2013 Man of Steel. Neither Superman Returns nor Man of Steel lived up to outsized expectations, with the former earning $391 million worldwide and the latter taking in $668 million. By contrast, James Wan’s Aquaman nabbed $1.15 billion in 2018 and Todd Phillips’ Joker scored $1.07 billion (and multiple Oscars).

    But establishing a new tone with the launch of the next Superman franchise is key to Warner Bros.’ DC film future. As such, little will remain of the so-called Snyderverse vision, which enjoyed its last hurrah with Snyder’s four-hour Justice League bowing on HBO Max in March. Among his hand-picked stars that remain are Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), Jason Momoa (Aquaman) and Ezra Miller (The Flash).

    DC sees its upcoming Flash movie, which began production in April in London, as its way forward in this post-Snyder world. With the inclusion of such characters as Supergirl (Sasha Calle) and Michael Keaton’s Batman, one thing Flash does is set up DC with a multiverse that allows for many of these incarnations and story universes to co-exist and have superheroes interact. So far, every movie and TV show, with the exception of Matt Reeves’ The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson and set for release in March, HBO Max’s spinoff Gotham PD, and Joker and its planned sequel, will take place in the same universe.

    The Superman film appears to be moving onto its own track and won’t be part of the universe, as of now. Sources tell THR that Coates is crafting a Kal-El in the vein of the original Superman comics and will have the protagonist hail from Krypton and come to Earth. While the story is currently being crafted and many details could change, one option under consideration is for the film to be a 20th century period piece.


    Full article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1234947599/

  12. #11862
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe if you're a huge fan of each of the different Supermen, in which case it might not matter that the film is rushed or has a lot of flaws or doesn't live up to the previous entry, you're just so happy to have a movie about these characters that the rest doesn't matter?
    I mostly just got a kick out of Superboy, who was awesome in this, but I'm at the point where I don't care as much if the story has characters I love, it still needs to be a great story on top of that (Godzilla is one of my all time favorites, but the last two films disappointed me). And for me, the story just felt so rushed and cramped to be that good. It was a decent time waster, but it wasn't great. Death of Superman was great (and I'm not a fan of the premise of killing Superman at all).
    I thought they did a good job of getting the core story of each of the Supermen in there and bringing it all to a resolution while carrying on the storylines and emotional beats of the prior film.

    I mean, the pacing was a little hectic from combining two storylines, but not to the point where I think the core story suffered. And I thought it was a very powerful and beautiful Superman story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Behind Warner Bros.’ Search for a Black Superman

    When Warners announced in February that celebrated author Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the screenplay and Abrams is producing, it did not address the matter of helming. But insiders say Warners and DC are committed to hiring a Black director to tackle what will be the first cinematic incarnation of Superman featuring a Black actor, with one source adding that putting Abrams at the helm would be “tone-deaf.”

    In a fitting twist, the director search is pitting DC against none other than Marvel. As Warners looks to fill its Superman vacancy, Marvel is on the hunt for a Blade helmer and is combing through the same list. But the question will come down to what kind of filmmaker Bad Robot and Warners want: an up-and-comer who can be backed by Abrams, who knows his way around tentpoles and franchises? Or an established filmmaker like a Barry Jenkins or a Ryan Coogler?

    The former list can include Creed II’s Steven Caple Jr., J.D. Dillard, Regina King — who got raves for her drama One Night in Miami — and Shaka King, who is popular at Warners thanks to best picture Oscar nominee Judas and the Black Messiah. Some potential directors have met with both studios for both films, even as one agent said the process was “phenomenally early.” Meanwhile, Coogler may be a nonstarter for either assignment given that he will be occupied with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which releases July 8, 2022.

    Coates isn’t expected to deliver his Superman script until midDecember. Likewise, Marvel isn’t rushing with Blade, whose start date was pushed from this September to July 2022, so that the studio can spend time working on the Stacy Osei-Kuffour-penned script.

    While the next Superman will likely land with a name director, the star could be a relative unknown, as was the case when Brandon Routh suited up for Bryan Singer’s 2006 Superman Returns and Henry Cavill donned the cape for Zack Snyder’s 2013 Man of Steel. Neither Superman Returns nor Man of Steel lived up to outsized expectations, with the former earning $391 million worldwide and the latter taking in $668 million. By contrast, James Wan’s Aquaman nabbed $1.15 billion in 2018 and Todd Phillips’ Joker scored $1.07 billion (and multiple Oscars).

    But establishing a new tone with the launch of the next Superman franchise is key to Warner Bros.’ DC film future. As such, little will remain of the so-called Snyderverse vision, which enjoyed its last hurrah with Snyder’s four-hour Justice League bowing on HBO Max in March. Among his hand-picked stars that remain are Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), Jason Momoa (Aquaman) and Ezra Miller (The Flash).

    DC sees its upcoming Flash movie, which began production in April in London, as its way forward in this post-Snyder world. With the inclusion of such characters as Supergirl (Sasha Calle) and Michael Keaton’s Batman, one thing Flash does is set up DC with a multiverse that allows for many of these incarnations and story universes to co-exist and have superheroes interact. So far, every movie and TV show, with the exception of Matt Reeves’ The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson and set for release in March, HBO Max’s spinoff Gotham PD, and Joker and its planned sequel, will take place in the same universe.

    The Superman film appears to be moving onto its own track and won’t be part of the universe, as of now. Sources tell THR that Coates is crafting a Kal-El in the vein of the original Superman comics and will have the protagonist hail from Krypton and come to Earth. While the story is currently being crafted and many details could change, one option under consideration is for the film to be a 20th century period piece.


    Full article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1234947599/
    A black Golden Age Superman?

  13. #11863
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought they did a good job of getting the core story of each of the Supermen in there and bringing it all to a resolution while carrying on the storylines and emotional beats of the prior film.

    I mean, the pacing was a little hectic from combining two storylines, but not to the point where I think the core story suffered. And I thought it was a very powerful and beautiful Superman story.

    A black Golden Age Superman?
    Interesting

  14. #11864
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,133

    Default

    Still very ambivalent about this whole thing, and ultimately annoyed we can't just have a Brainiac movie or something in that vein.

  15. #11865
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    66,856

    Default

    WB just feels all over the place with their DC movies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •